500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I never feel bad about paying someone for a service as long as that service is provided.
It's when it does not get done because all the evidence is hiding on the inside and will not be seen.
Searching online and fiunding your site and reading a few of the rebuilds, I thought it didn't look all that hard.
So after having one of my reel serviced recently (where I've been going for years) and not yet fishing it yet, I opened it.
What I found were my drags not changed as I requested or any manner or cleaning inside.  :-\
I know I can't expect a spick and span spotless cleanng service like one would do on there own gear, but
doing nothing really opened my eyes, closed my wallet, and I rolling up my sleeves. Besides it's fun  ;D
The 2 speeds and levers I'll send to you for now Alan. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Ok Gary we're glad you're having a good time working on reels, now go ahead and crack that Battle open, we want to see what it looks like on the inside. You should have enough confidence by now ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Gman_WC on April 26, 2011, 03:42:28 PMThe 2 speeds and levers I'll send to you for now Alan. -g

Once you go through a 2-speed or Lever Drag Reel, it will become as second nature as doing a star drag reel.  It takes 1.5-3 hours the first time to do depending on the complexity, but you will get it.  Just keeps the schematics at hand, and if there's a similar tutorial, you will be just fine.  If not, there's always all of us and Alan to assist, even if it comes in a plastic ziplok bags.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on December 04, 2010, 08:27:15 PM
the 5:1 gear set for the penn 505 jigmaster is still available.  you have to drill out the pinion gear to fit the larger spool shaft of the plain 500 jigmaster.  the main gear works fine.  which reminds me, i need to order a few sets.  alan

Ok Alan, you make it sound so easy and don't realize that most of us are not master craftsman
  like yourself. I have to know(if you don't mind) how you drill out the pinion and what type of tool do you use.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Bryan has seen the garage.  It's far from "master" status.  I lock the pinion gear in with two pieces of wood in a vise.  Then I match up a drill bit to the spool shaft diameter and drill away.  I have extra pinion gears and can drill one out for you.  Got a couple of extra main gears as well.  Alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I don't need one Alan thank you! I just wanted to know how you did it, this is a good thing to know. I'm always amazed by you. Thanks! Sal ;)

Gman_WC

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 26, 2011, 04:30:03 PM
Ok Gary we're glad you're having a good time working on reels, now go ahead and crack that Battle open, we want to see what it looks like on the inside. You should have enough confidence by now ;D
Sal, The Battle's just killing you!  ;D I'll try and open it up soon and take some pictures for you and the intrested.
My old Penn's and the hockey play off's are taking up a lot of my free time  :D
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gman_WC on April 28, 2011, 01:38:00 AM

Sal, The Battle's just killing you!  ;D I'll try and open it up soon and take some pictures for you and the intrested.
My old Penn's and the hockey play off's are taking up a lot of my free time  :D
-gary

Thanks Gary, just take your time when you do it, I don't want to be blamed if you screw it up ;D ;D ;D

sinkerswim

Note to NuBs: This reel coupled with Alan's tutorial, is without a doubt the simplest take apart and rebuild. Come on, you know you have one. Check the basement, boat, garage or even your trunk. This reel has stood the test of time. It is an engineering marvel. Simple in design and function. If you have one, do the rebuild. It will lead you to the addiction which most on this site have.

I wish I had done this reel years ago. I began with an ambassadeur SM6600clw, about eight months ago, never looked back. Slightly complicated for a first timer. But, Alan convinced me to do it on my own. And, assisted with the answers when I was stumped.

The jigmaster 500; on the other hand is, what I'd consider, a beginner's dream. Go for it. You'll be glad you did. And, welcome to the highly addictive world of reel repair.

This site is incredible, fascinating and second to none! Thanks Alan!  

BurningHeart

This tutorial is where I got my feet wet and now have been looking forward to servicing my own reels. I've tackled my Daiwa Sealine and my girlfriends Okuma Classic, although after many pm's to Alan and getting a problem sorted out she won't let me touch her Saltist LW, oh well. This whole site is awesome, and a ginormous thank you to Alan for making this site and helping us figure out which way is up.

Hillbillyman

Well Alan with your help my jigmaster I have had for 40 years is in better shape
than it ever has been ...  8)
I could hardly get it apart as over the years the bakelite swelled to the point of not
being able to put it back together so there it sat on the workbench ... :-[
I got a bright idea to take my dremel tool and put a fine sanding drum on it and
run it around and around the inner surface of the handle side ring ...
2 sanding drums later it went together better than it was new , no more chrome but now it
was able to be removed and put back together again ...
I put new drag washers and resurfaced the main gear bottom with 1000 wet and dry on
my granite block , I used the original gear as to my surprise it was made of steel ...  :o
I also replaced the gear sleeve that was hammered with a stainless one and put a new
anti-reverse dog and spring on for good measure ...
I don't think I would have attempted this if I had not found your tutorial on my reel ...
Thanks for putting my old Penn 500 back on line ... You guys ROCK !!!
Regards , Barney Barnwell ...
The more dogs I meet the less people I like ...
Time spend fishing is not subtracted from a persons lifespan ...

Bryan Young

Barney, those are mighty fine words, and now you are one of us...look in the mirror.  Helping others is contageous.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

like mike tyson said!its better to give than recieve.

Gman_WC

Alan, I got you care package today.
I sat down after dinner to upgrade a stock 501 into a Tiburon frame with SS gear sleeve and
power handle. Everything was going great and I had the drag stack changed and drags regreased.
Then...Boing, there goes my tiny dog spring into the bowels of the garage workbench.
Where can I buy a spring this small to cut to size?
Almost a perfect night.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

no, let me drop one into the mail tomorrow morning. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!