500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slater_Fish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

coastal_dan

YES! My wife is throwing a party Sunday and its based around the color Orange.  Pretty funny because at 12:00 am all I wanted was a hand full of that orange goodness.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

Thanks for sharing your process.  It helps us simpletons and expertons.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

Thanks Fred :)

No sweat Bryan - gets hard sometimes trying to figure out "what is the best drop in kit" for some of these reels; and the answer differs person to person.  So, it gets fun getting personal with our hobbies.

I'm still a newbie at the building, so this will help me in building a 6/0 next.
Dan from Philadelphia...

swill88

Thanks for your report Dan... I'm right behind you ready to jump in on a 501 and 506.
Did a 500 last year but was just the drags.
I don't know what I'm doin but I'm doin..
steve

Rothmar2

Some great comments there Dan, clues in there for everyone.

Alto Mare

Quote from: coastal_dan on May 14, 2015, 01:35:09 PM
I spent a few hours last night disassembling and reassembling two different Jigmasters (500 and 501) and checking drag numbers.  I have Brian's Kit in stock steel gears with PC DD'd bridge kit.  I found that no matter what order I was reading from OTHER peoples tests I couldn't get the same.  Sal and others have done a marvelous job showing us the best ways, but there are times that depending on the reel the stack may be too tall or too short even using the custom spacers.  So, rolled the sleeves up and got to work, haha.

Here is what I found to work for ME...please note that parts vary...reels vary...preferences vary...I think this is going to work for me, but I like the idea of constantly changing it.

First - my style of fishing for this 501 - Deep dropping for sea bass, tile fish, cod and other bottom feeders.  It'll be loaded up with 450 yds of 50 lb depth counter PP.

My drag order that I ended my night with....

1)Brians smaller CF washer under the main gear
2)steel main
3)Brians Kit in his specified ordeer
4)Stock keyed washer from the reel
5)Delrin washer from Sal
6)Stock tension spring
7)PC 10.5mm spacer
8)Tension spring from other the other jigmasters drag stack
9)Star
10)Handle

I used a Delrin washer under the main but I was getting a slight grinding when reeling...It may have just needed to be cleaned up, but it seemed to be rubbing on the Double Dogs.  Maybe a shim under the sleeve would cure this.

I added the stock keyed washer, Delrin washer, and tension spring in place of the belleville because I was only getting about 12 lbs of drag with the belleville.  I believe Keta pointed this out at some point as a fix...could be mistaken.

I ended the night with 274 ounces in the bucket (just over 17 lbs) and I started to worry about the rod which was doubled over :).  I believe you could get about 20 lbs with this order, but I need a bigger rod to test my theory, haha.

Things to note, I was getting a little 'grabbing' when flipping the eccentric lever so I flipped the SS yoke over and ended up switching out the pinion with a unit that had beveled edges from an older Jigmaster.  'Grabbing' went away.

Up next for the reel is just an Accuframe and maybe fooling with different handle configurations.  I had a ton of fun and learned a bit too!  If something sounds wrong please point it out!  I'll hopefully be testing this a few times over the summer.

A few pictures from the evening...

Hope this helps someone else out there. 

Tight lines!

I'm glad you've found what works best for you, the combinations are endless. We will never be able to determine what is the best drag stack configuration, there are to many options. There is also the versa drag system coming soon from Alan C., that one will change your mind again for sure.
No matter what you chose, as long as the last eared washer is sitting in the gear, anything above the following keyed washer is just a spacer. Nothing complicated here, it is actually very simple.
I do have a few Jigmasters, from my testing on all, i'm going to recommend that you stick with a Delrin washer for under the main gear, your grinding was probably related to the size of that washer. I know that I've sent you a couple, but some were cut too big.
The washer under the gear should work as a bearing, not friction.  Delrin is used as bearing material, my dogs actually work better with it.
On the eccentric lever, you will find that all jigmasters will do the same when pushed over 15lbs, its just the way it is. Replacing the yoke doesn't really help, if you try to retrieve some weight at around 15lbs and try to shift it again, you will know what I'm talking about.
Shaving the edge on the squared part of the spool shaft would help it, but it doesn't really bother me, all I do is place my thumb on the spool and is goes right in. My drags are always set very lose at start,, this is one of the reason.
I also want to point out that testing my Jigmasters , I got over 25lbs. I only recommend 20lbs though.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Thanks for the comments Sal, maybe I'll trim down one of those you sent me to fit.

Hope you guys don't mind me adding some more pictures and notes...figure no need to start a new thread.

Got a frame from Randy, ended up getting a used Tiburon through trade.  Very happy and Randy is a pleasure to work with!  I did take it a part completely and grease the whole thing, the screws had some salt build up in them so a little wire brushing at all was good.  I would recommend doing this even with a new one so you can properly grease everything.

Another thing I noticed was that the washers on the bolts for the rod brace were pushing against the stock trim rings.  So, I did a little filing on one side to create a flat edge that could sit against the ring.  Worked out quite well.

Now she is all pretty and ready to fish.  Tickled with the result and the red/black combo matches the rod to a 'T'.

One other small note, I needed to compress the frame ever so slightly to get the holes to line up with the stock rings/side plate.  Luckily  I had a wood vise and just slight tension lined everything up, I was almost going to give up but thought, 'meh, why not', happy I moved forward for sure :) 

Again, hope this info can help another member.

Tight Lines.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

Dan, I'm not stopping you from using the carbon fiber washer there, there are some that still like to use it. The bottom line is to use what feels right to you.
That reel look sweet, thanks for sharing and also thanks for your tips.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

I'll try both and go from there  :)

And thanks for your input along the way, it's been a huge help for for me and many.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Rancanfish

Dan that indeed turned out to be a good looking set up.  Did I see a 'Sal test wagon' in the back ground, lol?

I asked Alan a couple of weeks ago about the clamp nuts touching the Accurate frames.  He told me just get some washers and grind them, so that is a common deal.

Sal, if I could ask about your 'Delrin helping with the dogs' statement.....I am trying to picture how one relates to the other and .........I come up with a blank.  Can you expound on that a bit?

Thanks to both of you.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 19, 2015, 02:06:02 PM

Sal, if I could ask about your 'Delrin helping with the dogs' statement.....I am trying to picture how one relates to the other and .........I come up with a blank.  Can you expound on that a bit?

A picture will always explain it better, here you go:

the washer for under the gear sits very close to the dogs, actually right on top,  I believe the Delrin washer is helping here.

Here is a photo with the carbon fiber washer instead:

The carbon fiber washer is meant to be used for friction, I haven't heard any complains with the carbon fiber washer there, with that said, I'm sticking with the Delrin as shown above.
Let me be clear, I'm not using the Delrin washer under the gears for the the dogs, I'm a strong believer that the washer for under the gear should work as a bearing, not friction.

Sal

Rancanfish

Ah, more of a case of not creating an issue with the dogs then.

Thanks for that.

If I wanted to go Delrin I'd have to find them in bulk, lol.  I have 9 different Jigmasters in different configurations.  Then find time to switch them all. (Busy season now).

Bryan Young

Randy, Which gear sleeve did you buy from Alan?  If you purchased Gen2, we solved the carbon fiber issue by providing a thin SS washer and thin CF washer to go under the gear.  The thin SS washer will stop the CF washer from interfering with the anti-reverse dogs, and the thin CF washer between the main gear and the thin SS washer will provide you with an added full CF surface changing your drag set up to a full 4-stack or 6-stack depending if you have 3 or 5 CF in the main gear, respectively.

Of you would like to purchase Delrin, Dawn of SmoothDrags have them for sale.  Just contact her info@smoothdrag.com and let her know what you need, what reel it's used for and arrange payment once she has a total.  I believe she accepts paypal too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Bryan I got gen I, but you got them for me.   ;D  That's the first sign right there buddy.

When you get my age you can't remember if you sent them or not!

Thanks for the info,  I'm getting it slow but sure.

Marcq

Quote from: coastal_dan on May 19, 2015, 01:10:15 PM
Thanks for the comments Sal, maybe I'll trim down one of those you sent me to fit.

Hope you guys don't mind me adding some more pictures and notes...figure no need to start a new thread.

Got a frame from Randy, ended up getting a used Tiburon through trade.  Very happy and Randy is a pleasure to work with!  I did take it a part completely and grease the whole thing, the screws had some salt build up in them so a little wire brushing at all was good.  I would recommend doing this even with a new one so you can properly grease everything.

Another thing I noticed was that the washers on the bolts for the rod brace were pushing against the stock trim rings.  So, I did a little filing on one side to create a flat edge that could sit against the ring.  Worked out quite well.

Now she is all pretty and ready to fish.  Tickled with the result and the red/black combo matches the rod to a 'T'.

One other small note, I needed to compress the frame ever so slightly to get the holes to line up with the stock rings/side plate.  Luckily  I had a wood vise and just slight tension lined everything up, I was almost going to give up but thought, 'meh, why not', happy I moved forward for sure :) 

Again, hope this info can help another member.

Tight Lines.

I like the combination of red/black in a lot of things, this one looks sweet  8), the handle/knob does it

What's the rod ? Looks familiar

Marc..