500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat, Gobi King and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 19, 2015, 02:36:22 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on May 19, 2015, 02:06:02 PM

Sal, if I could ask about your 'Delrin helping with the dogs' statement.....I am trying to picture how one relates to the other and .........I come up with a blank.  Can you expound on that a bit?

A picture will always explain it better, here you go:

the washer for under the gear sits very close to the dogs, actually right on top,  I believe the Delrin washer is helping here.

Here is a photo with the carbon fiber washer instead:

The carbon fiber washer is meant to be used for friction, I haven't heard any complains with the carbon fiber washer there, with that said, I'm sticking with the Delrin as shown above.
Let me be clear, I'm not using the Delrin washer under the gears for the the dogs, I'm a strong believer that the washer for under the gear should work as a bearing, not friction.

Sal

Hey Sal

That bridge plate looks different then the one that black pearl puts out. Was that the proto type?

Black Pearl

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on May 21, 2015, 07:39:43 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 19, 2015, 02:36:22 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on May 19, 2015, 02:06:02 PM

Sal, if I could ask about your 'Delrin helping with the dogs' statement.....I am trying to picture how one relates to the other and .........I come up with a blank.  Can you expound on that a bit?

A picture will always explain it better, here you go:

the washer for under the gear sits very close to the dogs, actually right on top,  I believe the Delrin washer is helping here.

Here is a photo with the carbon fiber washer instead:

The carbon fiber washer is meant to be used for friction, I haven't heard any complains with the carbon fiber washer there, with that said, I'm sticking with the Delrin as shown above.
Let me be clear, I'm not using the Delrin washer under the gears for the the dogs, I'm a strong believer that the washer for under the gear should work as a bearing, not friction.

Sal

Hey Sal

That bridge plate looks different then the one that black pearl puts out. Was that the proto type?
Hi Jason,

I will answer that. There were 2 sets samples was sent to Sal at the beginning. So, the answer is yes. Everything were stainless steel on that plate. Every parts were cut by hand.

coastal_dan

Marc - Jigging World Tile/Tuna rod (they are currently on sale for $119.99).  It's not quite rated what its advertised as, but darn close.  Rod says 3oz - 8 oz, website says 8 oz - 5 lbs...but the tip just barely moves with a 24 oz bank sinker on.  I now have two of these and look forward to putting them to the test.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Fishit 2

Hey Sal, I used a Penn washer(white, delrin maybe?) from a 704 drag kit under my main gear, wondering if these Penn washers are the same as the delrin ones you are using? I think this was brought up before but soon as my parts come in I'll try it out.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 31, 2015, 12:48:19 PM
Hey Sal, I used a Penn washer(white, delrin maybe?) from a 704 drag kit under my main gear, wondering if these Penn washers are the same as the delrin ones you are using? I think this was brought up before but soon as my parts come in I'll try it out.

I think that washer is Teflon.

russ1962

I had the exact same problem with the last Tiburon Frame that I bought and also had to file down the washers to keep from pinching the rings.

Quote from: coastal_dan on May 19, 2015, 01:10:15 PM
Thanks for the comments Sal, maybe I'll trim down one of those you sent me to fit.

Hope you guys don't mind me adding some more pictures and notes...figure no need to start a new thread.

Got a frame from Randy, ended up getting a used Tiburon through trade.  Very happy and Randy is a pleasure to work with!  I did take it a part completely and grease the whole thing, the screws had some salt build up in them so a little wire brushing at all was good.  I would recommend doing this even with a new one so you can properly grease everything.

Another thing I noticed was that the washers on the bolts for the rod brace were pushing against the stock trim rings.  So, I did a little filing on one side to create a flat edge that could sit against the ring.  Worked out quite well.

Now she is all pretty and ready to fish.  Tickled with the result and the red/black combo matches the rod to a 'T'.

One other small note, I needed to compress the frame ever so slightly to get the holes to line up with the stock rings/side plate.  Luckily  I had a wood vise and just slight tension lined everything up, I was almost going to give up but thought, 'meh, why not', happy I moved forward for sure :) 

Again, hope this info can help another member.

Tight Lines.

Fublown

Aloha, I'm looking for a fine thread stainless steel gear sleeve for jigmaster 500 any help please. Mahalo.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Fublown on November 01, 2015, 03:31:06 AM
Aloha, I'm looking for a fine thread stainless steel gear sleeve for jigmaster 500 any help please. Mahalo.

I have few. Please check out the following link.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14738.0

bigbassfisherman

Just got a jig master 500s (used, with the takedown screw on the non-handle side) and it has one problem. When I tighten the drag and then pull out line, the handle binds at a certain spot every time I turn the handle. It binds for maybe 1/4 turn, the other 3/4 of the revolution is normal. The reel doesn't do this when the drag is loose, or if I don't pull out line. Any ideas on how to fix this?

alantani

first the quick fix.  back of the star all the way, then crank the handle a half dozen times, then button down the star and try it again.  sometimes the spacing sleeve is off center a little. 

if that doesn't work, it will need to come apart again, and put back together in steps, until the problem is found.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bigbassfisherman

So I finally found the problem. The main gear was rubbing against the side plate. I needed to use a dremel to grind away part of the side plate to provide clearance for the gear. It's odd, though, because that means that the gear must not be quite round, or the hole was drilled off center-either way, a defect. And the previous owner probably fished it for years without doing anything! ???

alantani

i don't suppose there were TWO drag washers under the main gear?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Is the post on the bridge loose or at an angle?  It should be 90 deg. From the bridge plate. Other than that, what Alan is referring to is that the gear is sitting too high. You may need to use a thinner under gear washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bigbassfisherman

The bridge seems to be tight, and there is 1 drag washer under the gear.

coastal_dan

Kind of off topic, but holy crap this thread has nearly 100k views...Is the Jigmaster the most commonly modded/worked on reel Penn has made?  Of course the Senator series as a whole is their best seller, but I wonder about individual reels, the 4/0 may have it beat...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...