500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalenao, Fishheadmusic and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doug

Hey Sal Thanks for the response. I feel a little better now. The reel looks new ,it has a few spots on the underside of the stand. the insides look hardly used  The original penn greese has hardened. I will try to give it the Alan treatment. The last deal I got at a sale wound up costing me almost $100 to fix , it was a penn 1/0 senator I picked up for $15 but had all sorts of problems ,you know once you start to fix these , things can get out of hand quickly. Thanks again Doug

RustyTank

Does anyone know the part number for the PENN powerhandle that fits the Jigmaster?  Thanks!

john2244

The two I like the best are: 24-55 and 24-56, with 24-56 my first choice.

RustyTank

Thanks ... I like the 24-56 best also... appreciate the info!!!

- RustyTank

alantani

i bought a bunch of the 24-56 handles at $15 each years ago and still have some.  send a pm if interested.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Irish Jigger on January 11, 2012, 07:56:26 PM
Anybody know what purpose this attachment serves?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penn-Aftco-H-PS-1-Reel-Handle-assembly-113-Jigmaster-Squidder-NEW-4-0-USA-/310348856352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48423bbc20#ht_1747wt_954

It looks like a device that would limit the travel of a drag star to keep one from over-tightening or over-loosening the drag. ???   In other words, a thingamajig for your whatchamacallit. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

It is made by Aftco and they're no longer produced.  I've seen them on ebay before.  it's used to preset the drag and to increase from strike to fight (and vice versa).  It kinda turns it into a lever drag.
Really not worth the money.  That's why it's been there for mo(o)nths   ;)
I'm sure someone on here (SAL, maybe) has one or two laying around that could give a better explanation, but that's how it was explained to me.
Dom   

Irish Jigger

Thank's guys,interesting attachment.

DsplacdKamaaina

Quote from: alantani on March 22, 2009, 07:27:41 PM

there is a pretty large gap between the spool and the inner side plate rings.  anything less than 0.022 inches can get stuck or even sliced off.  that means 25 pound test berkeley big game can still get caught.  i generally recommend 30# mono.  that works out fine because the reel will hold 350 yards of 30# mono.  what it also means is that the reel is probabably not suitable for spectra.

any other reel with a spool this big might be loaded with up to 400 yards of 65 pound spectra and a 40 or 50 pound topshot.  a 30% drag setting would mean a 12 to 15 pound drag setting.  the 3-stack of jigmaster drag washers actually can deliver 15 pounds of drag, but that's pretty much the limit for any stack of three drag washers.  the brass drive shaft (gear sleeve) is also a big issue.  if the drags are set to more then 8 pounds, or if they are sticky at all, the handle will round off the top of the soft brass and start to loosen. i have a stainless steel drive shaft for this reel and it's a great upgrade if you're going to lean hard on this reel, but it cost $20. 

one GREAT advantage of the jigmaster 500 is that there are no bearings to rust out.  the reel that i recommend most for the kayak guys is a narrow spool penn 501 with a stainless steel drive shaft, greased carbon fiber drag washers, a penn jigmaster power handle and 200 yards of straight 30# mono.  personally, i think this is the best kayak reel around.  alan

Is there a fix for the gap issue?  I'd like to use this real with 20# mono but, i'm wary of the line being sliced off or stuck.  Thanks!

redsetta

That's a beauty - well spotted Tom.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

I'm tempted myself Justin. UK postage is only $18.
Cheers, Tom.

coastalobsession

What are the sizes of the bearings???
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

redsetta

G'day CO,
I may have misunderstood which reel you're referring to, but the 500 and 501 have bushings/bearings rather than ball bearings.
The 505HS and 506HS both have two 0.125 x 0.375 x 0.156 (inch) ball bearings.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin

PS Tom, I see that cracker little 501 sold for US$106!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer