500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Might be the red one is a hint out of round by one of the edges? I'm assuming it's aluminum. Might be a little dent that's not really visible
Solvang is strange. Not sure why it's there but there's likely some story there. To me it's just irritating to have to slow down to 25 on the highway. Sure packs in the tourists though
No shortage of breweries up there. It's getting pretty popular. I guess to goes hand in hand with the wineries
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MolBasser

Got my new parts, and found a pair of side plates!!!!!  So stoked.  Gonna order the plates this week.  Still gotta lick the wounds from doing my taxes, but payday is coming up.  This jigmaster is gonna be tight.  And loudly colorful.  I get my braid line today (multicolor 50# braid by Kast King) so I'll spool up the red spool with the braid and leave the 30# mono on the black spool.  Hopefully the new bridge and drag stack will even out whatever funny thing is going on with the red spool.... Who knows but this thing will be a light tuna slayer in no time.

Oh, I also got my prescription for promethazine so we will see how well I can do in the water to actually use this thing.. lol.

MolBasser

PacRat

MolBasser,
Compare the OD of your pinion-side spool shaft on both spools. A couple of thousandths difference could put a little more contact pressure between your pinion and main gear and could cause the different feel between the two spools. Also make certain your gear teeth are very clean, a little gunk of corrosion will exaggerate the feel on the spool with tighter contact.
Mike

MolBasser

Thanks man, I'll check that.

This site is awesome.

MolBasser

thorhammer

Molbasser, you might also consider checking Cortez Classic Jiggy full kit instead of buying plates...they are FANTASTIC and have bearings....then you can sell your P21 to offset cost. or more likely keep it for next jigger :)

MolBasser

I just made a deal on some green side plates.....

Its gonna look tight with the red frame yellow handle with the multicolor braid line.

super psychedelic!  That and the pure stainless steel guts and 5+1 drag and this is gonna be a beast!

MolBasser

thorhammer

Nice green is prolly my favorite...If Tom makes green CC kits I'll get a full set!

nelz

Quote from: thorhammer on April 17, 2018, 11:40:19 PM
Nice green is prolly my favorite...If Tom makes green CC kits I'll get a full set!

Molbasser, let me know if you decide to unload your P21 frame!

MolBasser

I just have the p20.  No other frame.

Molbasser

MolBasser

Some of my friends ask me why I'm tossing enough money into this reel to buy prolly two "modern" reels.

I tell them because it is fun.  Fiddling with stuff and making it "better" is fun for me.  Learning how things work is fun for me.  So it isn't that I could have saved money and gotten a "better" reel (that is up for debate), but that I enjoy myself doing it.

My girlfriend shakes her head but gets it and lets me do my thing even though she always sees new fishing things come in the mail.

I pay my bills and keep my home.  My hobby is that.

MolBasser

Gman_WC

Quote from: MolBasser on April 20, 2018, 10:22:05 PM
Some of my friends ask me why I'm tossing enough money into this reel to buy prolly two "modern" reels.
I tell them because it is fun.  Fiddling with stuff and making it "better" is fun for me.  Learning how things work is fun for me.  So it isn't that I could have saved money and gotten a "better" reel (that is up for debate), but that I enjoy myself doing it.
My girlfriend shakes her head but gets it and lets me do my thing even though she always sees new fishing things come in the mail.
I pay my bills and keep my home.  My hobby is that.
MolBasser

And your reel will be around for the grandkids to fish it after all the right parts go under the hood.
Many will look at the reel and see a relic. A relic that will out power many modern day designs and won't
break when pushed.
IMO modern day reels are not better. It's all about the marketing and sales.
Give me a Penn reel any day!
Whats really killing me is all of the Photobucket images are blacked out. About 6 months ago, I get a message on them saying something about 3rd party hosting.
So it hurts to look back at all of these old threads and try to imagine what I'm missing ???
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

MolBasser

So got my plates.

I have a bunch of pictures I will post but I came across a problem I want to sleep on (I have other stuff to do anyway).

Everything assembled fine.  I screw in the bridge with all the goo and should be good to go.  Everything spins like it should, the freespool lever does its thing the yolk and etc. working.

I screw down the 4 screws to get this assembly into the sideplate, tighten completely and now movement is fubar and bleh.  Loosen this four screws to tighten the bridge assembly and it gets loose again.

I'm guessing that the dragstack is tall and it is the source of friction as I have not put the star on yet.......

Anyway.  Pics tomorrow.  Its gonna be tight.

MolBasser

Swami805

With all  the custom parts most take some kind of tweaking to get them perfect. Just did a 500 with plates and a newell graphite spool. It was giving me fits for a week But I finally found the right tweak. Stick with it.
Sometimes the bridge screws are a taste too long and need to be filed down a little, could be the drag stack too,  just a process of elimination. There's a tiny shim/washer that came with the kit that slides on the spool shaft, not likely it's that if it's completely bound up but it might be be.
You'll get it,just keep at it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

PacRat

MolBasser,
Which sideplates and bridge are you running? I'm assuming Cortez plates...are you running a double-dog bridge?

MolBasser

Quote from: PacRat on April 22, 2018, 06:12:32 PM
MolBasser,
Which sideplates and bridge are you running? I'm assuming Cortez plates...are you running a double-dog bridge?

Yeah, when I put the plates in I switched bridges to a double dog bridge from Smooth Drag (well, they sold it to me I doubt they make it).

I'm gonna go back to the original bridge because the double dogs actually grip at the same time with my gear post.  I was hoping they would alternate and shorten the reverse before locking but no dice.  I will pirate the stainless dog to replace the brass one on my other stainless bridge (why that one didn't come with a stainless dog is sort of a mystery.  I bought it in 2005 and I can't remember exactly what it came with.

And yes.  Cortez plates.

MolBasser