500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat, Benni3 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Black Pearl

Quote from: MolBasser on April 22, 2018, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: PacRat on April 22, 2018, 06:12:32 PM
MolBasser,
Which sideplates and bridge are you running? I'm assuming Cortez plates...are you running a double-dog bridge?

Yeah, when I put the plates in I switched bridges to a double dog bridge from Smooth Drag (well, they sold it to me I doubt they make it).

I'm gonna go back to the original bridge because the double dogs actually grip at the same time with my gear post.  I was hoping they would alternate and shorten the reverse before locking but no dice.  I will pirate the stainless dog to replace the brass one on my other stainless bridge (why that one didn't come with a stainless dog is sort of a mystery.  I bought it in 2005 and I can't remember exactly what it came with.

And yes.  Cortez plates.

MolBasser

Penn never made a stainless steel bridge in JigMaster. The stainless steel bridge you got from SmoothDrag is from me. You will not be able to use my stainless dog in your original bridge.

MolBasser

I got the bridge aftermarket.  I think it was made for a newell and came with the stainless gearpost.  The dog pin, dog spring pin, and dog on this bridge are all brass.  I still have original brass bridge.

Is there a known issue with cortez plates and the double dog bridge?

MolBasser

Alto Mare

Quote from: MolBasser on April 22, 2018, 07:25:51 PM
I got the bridge aftermarket.  I think it was made for a newell and came with the stainless gearpost.  The dog pin, dog spring pin, and dog on this bridge are all brass.  I still have original brass bridge.

MolBasser

All bridge come with a stainless steel gear post, brass and stainless.
I only know of 3 bridge, Penn, ProGear ( a while back) and Prochallenger.
The only double dog stainless steel bridge out of the 3 is the Prochallenger bridge.

Yes there is a small issue with the accurate plates, Tom's plates are very close to accurate, so there will also be the same issue using his plates.
One of the dog hits a little, it is actually workable, but you could feel the small bump. This should eventually work itself out, but you could take care of it by shaving 1/32" where I'm showing.

If your issue is with using the brass bridge, this would be the first on me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MolBasser

"one dog hits" this explains some behavior of the reel.

I think I might solve this issue going back to the single dog bridge.  I'll post pics later.  I haven't been on a real forum in a while so I"m relearning syntax and stuff.

MolBaser

Reel 224

MolBasser; If the double dog bridge engages with the two dogs at the same rotation of the gear sleeve, I do not see the problem. It supposed to do that to reinforce the anti reverse with the added Drag system, which is a five stack drag system.

If you want the dogs to alternate then I would figure out how to shorten one of the dogs.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MolBasser

Yeah, that is the answer to the double dog issue.

More importantly is getting the reel to run smooth.  I'll spend some time carefully tracking it down.  It is clearly related to the tight pull on the bridge set into the plate.

MOlBasser

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 23, 2018, 12:45:47 AM
We all learn from each other here.
Personally I would keep the double dog bridge, sanding the tip on that dog only takes a couple of seconds.
Good luck with wathever you decide and hopefully it will work for you.

Sal

As I learned from you and others on site. How to modify reels and parts. As you said Sal we all have had experience on the learning curve. ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MolBasser

I'm not gonna get crazy till I understand the actuall problem.

It might take a bit of time or whatever, but everything has a reason.  That is why science rocks.

I'll figure it out and get a solution.

MolBasser

Reel 224

Good luck, I'm sure you will figure it out.

Joe

MolBasser

Its all good.

I like figuring stuff like this out.  One thing is that I'm not on forums much anymore and I need to re-boot my photobucket account... lol.

MolBasser

MolBasser

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 22, 2018, 09:59:20 PM

MolBasser

The only double dog stainless steel bridge out of the 3 is the Prochallenger bridge.

Yes there is a small issue with the accurate plates, Tom's plates are very close to accurate, so there will also be the same issue using his plates.
One of the dog hits a little, it is actually workable, but you could feel the small bump. This should eventually work itself out, but you could take care of it by shaving 1/32" where I'm showing.

Sal

This is conceptually strange to me.  All that is, is the "hook" for the dog spring.... It is far away from any other action in the assembly and I have no idea how shaving that bit would do anything.

Also, haven't thought or looked at it enough for that to be a qualified idea..... Just thinking off of my head.  I haven't worked on these reels enough to have any of that set in memory.

MolBasser

Black Pearl

Quote from: MolBasser on April 23, 2018, 04:55:14 PM

MolBasser

Sal

This is conceptually strange to me.  All that is, is the "hook" for the dog spring.... It is far away from any other action in the assembly and I have no idea how shaving that bit would do anything.

Also, haven't thought or looked at it enough for that to be a qualified idea..... Just thinking off of my head.  I haven't worked on these reels enough to have any of that set in memory.

MolBasser

Hi there,

That is the known issue on that dog when my Stainless steel bridge is used in Accurate's or Tom's sideplate.

MolBasser

Quote from: Black Pearl on April 23, 2018, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: MolBasser on April 23, 2018, 04:55:14 PM

MolBasser

Sal

MolBasser

Hi there,

That is the known issue on that dog when my Stainless steel bridge is used in Accurate's or Tom's sideplate.

OK!  Cool.  I have something to do now with my dremel.  I'll do that presently.

MolBasser

MolBasser

And Black Pearl,

At no time was I ever dissing your bridge or anything.  Just trying to get stuff put together.

I appreciate all those that work hard to make aftermarket parts that improve performance and make a better tool.

I'm just a newbie, so my installs need a bit more love and understanding as I'm not an old salt on reel repair.

MolBasser

nelz

I read somewhere here that the double dog bridge will engage the dogs differently depending on which gear sleeve is used (SS or stock). With one it alternates, the other engages simultaneously. Not sure which does which.