500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DolemiteSF0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Irish Jigger

Hi Justin, it was a lovely original boxed reel and will make a nice  addition to some ones collection. I just bought a brand new 501 (Junior/Narrow) for a friend from my  Penn spares guy. Only cost £40 ($63) lovely reel. Fairly unique as the left side plate has "Penn Jigmaster" embossed and the right side plate "Penn 500" no mention of USA, strange! ;)    Anyway the new owner is very happy as he now has a great little Penn jigging reel that should serve him well for many years. ;D

redsetta

Great stuff - well done mate.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

henryjpeterson

Alan directed me to this thread to replace the drags in my ProGear 255. Was real nervous because I'm not mechanically inclined. And .... success! New drags in, reel all clean ans lubed properly. What a great place this is. Went on to do the same for an old Calcutta. Great site!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CoastieFlo

Wow great tutorial there, got a few 500's to service the other day and this will help a lot.

broschro

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2012, 05:31:22 AM
i bought a bunch of the 24-56 handles at $15 each years ago and still have some.  send a pm if interested.  thanks!  alan
DO YOU STILL HAVE ANY

alantani

i think about a half dozen.  send me an pm

broschro

DOSE ANYONE KNOW WHY THE SS YOKE DOSE NOT WORK AND THE BRASS ONE DOSE? ON MY 505 WHEN THE SS YOKE IS IN IT DOSE NOT LIKE TO GO IN TO FREE SPOOL, WHEN THE BRASS ONE IS IN IT DOSE, WHAT GIVES? IS IT OK TO USE THE BRASS ONE WITH THE SS GEARS?

Bryan Young

It's okay to use the brass yoke with SS pinions.  It just doesn't last as long.

Some of the yokes have a slight angle where it engages with the eccentric jack.  If it is in upside down, sometimes the yoke will not engage easily.  Not sure about your SS one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ShoreKasterHI

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 17, 2012, 07:05:54 PM
It's okay to use the brass yoke with SS pinions.  It just doesn't last as long.

Some of the yokes have a slight angle where it engages with the eccentric jack.  If it is in upside down, sometimes the yoke will not engage easily.  Not sure about your SS one.

Ran into that problem while out fishing lucky i brought a back up reel. Went back home opened it up, flipped it around and no problems after that.

broschro

I DID THE SAME AND IT DID NOT HELLP,I THINK IT MY BE WORN OUT!

alantani

it's getting hung up somewhere.  compare the brass and stainless together, make sure they are the same size, make sure there are no burrs, and make sure that you are using bridge screws that are threaded only at the tip and not for the entire length of the screw. 

Keta

Quote from: alantani on April 18, 2012, 04:37:03 PM
make sure that you are using bridge screws that are threaded only at the tip and not for the entire length of the screw. 

X2  If the holes on your yoke are a bit tight this will cause you problems.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Fishit 2

I just picked up a 501, while spooling it with 30lb mono I can feel a grinding noise when I crank the handle, there doesn't seem to be any teeth missing on the gears though. If the gear sleave is bad would this cause the grinding?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Alto Mare

Sounds like gears. It's not easy to determine if the gears are ok with the naked eye, try taking a closer look with a magnifying glass. Also, the dog would usually give before the gear sleave, check it as well.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.