500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805, jtwill98, Donnyboat, Benni3 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Marcq

Hey guys!! New to the forum but have been lurking for quite a while. Been a Penn lover for the pass 30 years and after reading this tutorial, I had to get myself a Penn 500. Found one on ebay in mint condition, my plan was to convert it into a 501jr
Got the parts together

Took the opportunity to mag it but removable

All assemble

And changed the handle

Eventually this will be my son, hope he will take care of it

Alan you're da man!!

Marc..

redsetta

Nice work Marc - that's a beauty.
Picked meself up an old Tib 501 last week too, but not quite as pretty as yours ;) ;D
Thanks for sharing - and welcome aboard.
All the best, Justin
PS Where did you get the mag set up?
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keith K

alantani

keith, got all your parts.  need a few minutes to put everything together.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marcq

Thanks guys  :)

Quote from: redsetta on September 13, 2012, 03:36:50 AM

PS Where did you get the mag set up?

Home made, the metal part that the magnet stick to it is from an electric box reducer(I think that's what it's called), looks like a big washer, I cut in half to fit, you find those at Home Depot in the electrical section

Next upgrade will be a SS gear sleeve but not sure which one to get fine tooth or coarse

Marc..

bluefish69

Alan

I am doing over a 501. I have ordered the SS Sleeves & putting in SS Gears. My question is when I removed the drag washers from the Brass Gear there were the normal 3 stack except there was 2 drag washers & 1 teflon washer. Why was this done? Does this cut down on the drag?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

i would be very surprised to find out that penn installed a white teflon washer in place of carbon fiber.  maybe someone else?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I've seen it a few times before, I've also seen it in a 4/0 and 6/0. Some believe that adding a teflon washer would make things smoother, not me of course.
I purchased two 6/0's with the red spools last year and both had a thick tefllon washer at the top. As far as I know, Penn only used teflon in spinners.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Thanks for the answer. The Teflon washer was not going back in there.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Ikaika

Hello,
After succesfully reparing my Shimano Calcutta 200 (silver), I decided to replace the drag in my 500L JM.
I followed the instructions on Page one of the OP, but was unable to seperate the gear assembly. ???

any suggestions?

Ikaika

precisely,
how did you get this apart?
It's pretty snug - yet clean on mine.
From this :

to this:

Bryan Young

The gear should slide off. If it doesn't, try holding the gear with one hand and tap the gear sleeve tieh the back end of the plastic or wooden handled screw driver. It should slide out after that.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dobrobill

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 26, 2012, 03:52:57 PM
The gear should slide off. If it doesn't, try holding the gear with one hand and tap the gear sleeve tieh the back end of the plastic or wooden handled screw driver. It should slide out after that.

If you didn't make sure the pin is removed before tapping...

Keta

Quote from: dobrobill on November 26, 2012, 04:09:31 PM
If you didn't make sure the pin is removed before tapping...

I think he's trying to get the main gear off, not the gear sleeve.

If you tap a brass gear sleeve to get the main gear off put the handle retaining nut back on so you don't dammage the end.  I've had to use two screw drivers to GENTELY pry a fused drag stack off of a gear sleeve.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain