Help to modify an A.Tani old style Knob (custom handle grip)

Started by steelfish, December 14, 2016, 01:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey guys, I have this Baja Special that I bought from a AT.com member like two years ago, well it came with the 1st gen of AT knobs, I really like them first time I saw, but I have small hands so, after a while the bottom part of the knob dont feel comfortable anymore, I know the current AT knobs came with a conical shape of that bottom part pretty sure for the same reason.
well, I not going fishing for the next 3-4 weeks (too busy with work and holidays) so, I will look to my unfinished projects and this is one of them.

I would like to reduce a bit the bottom section of the knob but I dont have any machine shop tools

this is mine

this is the current model
The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

Are you asking how to make it match?

I could probably screw it up quick with power tools, so maybe hand file.  Then smooth it out with a dremel sander or something.

In reality, I'd ask to trade with someone first.  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JRD

It's a shame to start sanding away, but I get it.  Try a round sanding disc on a drill, rock the handle until you get the profile you want then hand sand to finish.  I did this with an accurate tube style handle years ago.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

do you have metal files? if you do, use the coarse one first and the less coarse and so on. start from the bottom and work your way up till where you want it to taper from.

good luck and tight lines!

btw secure/clamp it... :)

steelfish

thanks guys, I like your ideas, specially the last one of the metal file with the coarse side, I really into modify and tinkering my reels myself but on this knob I dont see me doing a nice finished job.
I will drive to my local machine shop and ask if they could do that job for me and if its not that expensive I will do it there, but if it will cost half of the price of a new knob then I will just get another of the new models from Alan.

The Baja Guy

alantani

the stainless steel tube will press out.  then you can chuck it in a lathe of some sort and mill it down.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

The Baja Guy