SOA got a guadalupe pass, but not for us

Started by alantani, December 15, 2016, 07:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

just got an email from annamarie.  she says that the SOA got a pass for guadalupe going from september, october and november.  that unfortunately does not include us.  figured i'd better let you know in case you heard only part of the story.    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reel man

She called me to see if we'd be interested in going there on our 9 day trip, but we opted to pass on that opportunity and travel on down to the Rocks or the Ridge.

Sure would be nice if Mexico would just let the boats call in to Ensenada that they were on their way to the isle.

SoCalAngler

Reel Man,

I understand your frustration about fishing the Lupe but take a moment and flip the script. Would you want vessels fishing out of Mexico to be able to just call San Diego and tell them they are fishing American waters? Say they wanted to fish Catalina, Clemente or the Channel Islands would you be happy with just a call to the officials here? After all Guadalupe island is a biosphere protected by CONAPESCA and in my mind should be monitored by the Mexican government just as the islands off our Pacific coast should be watched by us.

Not trying to be some sort of a tree huger here as I fish both in American and Mexican waters often. I also fish one of the biggest biospheres/protected waters just off Loreto BCS in Mexico and I feel way better when CONAPECSA is out there protecting the Mexican resources. IMO this leads to better fishing overall and less corruption by some some unscrupulous people.

I'm not saying any boat out of San Diego would take over limits, it would be my bet as they makes extra sure they don't as I have seen the 3 times I fished the Lupe. But with a better over handle on who is fishing there and the actual catches this should lead to more fish for sport boats and less for the other than legal catches made by boats that should not be fishing the Lupe in the first place.

MarkT

Yeah, but the boat already has the permits and putting into Ensenada just wastes time that adds no value to any of the parties. At some point the 'lupe will go back to being a gamble that can leave you with no fish a long way from anywhere.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Mark,

This is just one of the the places on this web site I feel your way off base, again.

The Mexican government has slowed down and if not shut off many of the illegal practices off the Guadalupe island. The proof is in the pudding. Here is a pic of my good friend who got off a boat fishing the Lupe this December.

My nephew heads out in April on a different boat and the SOA now has permits to fish the island. So it seems like their opening up the island again. Which will mean more eyes on the fishery.

If you don't like it don't fish the Lupe, it's not like the Mexican government asked you to fish there.

But you didn't flip the script.

Mark T,
How would you like a fishing vessel out of Mexico with so called permits coming into American waters and fishing where they wanted with only a call to American authorities?

I bet you would be fine without anyone checking the boat going into American waters and again I bet would not care with what they left with.

alantani

cedros will likely close for boats over 35 feet, but guadalupe should be opened to us, at an extra price.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

We are going to Guadalupe Island.  We have the permits. Don't forget that there will be an extra charge and don't forget your passports. No passports no go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jim Fujitani

The different Mexican Government agencies' representatives compare the actual passports with the names on the boat's log at check-in in Ensenada.  Yes, it takes fuel and time to go to and from Ensenada; time away from fishing.  But we don't set the rules. 

At least LR boats can comply with these rules, compared to the new incompliable (is that a word?) boat length restrictions to fish Isla Cedros, Isla San Benitos, and other coastal islands within that biosphere.