Having fun making jigs

Started by ReelFishingProblems, December 20, 2016, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hello all,

I've been having fun making plaster molds, pouring lead, and decorating jigs for a few weeks now. I would have taken more pictures of the close-to-finished products, but the movers grabbed 'em and I won't get them until the new year. Not happy with the paint drips but I thought the fish wouldn't care.
What is everyone's favorite color combination for Florida waters?

I also made a hand carved mold out of wood from a broken chair back. It ends up looking like a Salas YoYo jig when poured. I want to paint these in a lure powder coat paint but not sure how well it works on lead. When I get my stuff back in the new house I will post more pictures

Thanks,

Nick

thorhammer

Nice, Nick! No bait I ever saw in nature had a straigt edge line on it. Powder paint works pretty well on lead; my advice is get a $10 toaster oven at a thrift store or yard sale. You can also use the mesh from a scrubby pad or shower ball to spray for scale effect.

ReelFishingProblems

John,
thanks for the tips. The straight edge was from me hovering a piece of paper above while I spray painted. With brush on paint I imagine a more natural line would be achieved.

Right now Jann's netcraft is having a free giveaway of 200 assorted split rings with every purchase (not sure of quality) but seems like a good reason to buy powder paint from them.

Nick

thorhammer

They are likely chromed from Bett's, and will rust quickly in the salt; from my own experience with my diamond jigs. Fine in freshwater application, but use SS on your jigs. Those are nice pieces. Lemme know if you want some bucktail to dress your hooks and I will stick in your shipment in a couple weeks.

ReelFishingProblems

How can I say no to that?

I bought SS rings, but thought free was a good price. They'll probably end up in the fishing tackle drawer since I am not currently making freshwater lures.

Looking forward to getting to the Gulf Coast (just a few days now)