Fathom vs Torque Star Drag: Cast Control Exclusion & Future Revisions

Started by BQN, December 28, 2016, 02:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunanorth

True that the FTH series could have incorporated a stainless main gear, but it would have pushed it upward noticeably in price point.
It should be noted, a competitor's "top of the line" reel features a brass main gear, at the same price point as the Torque.
During the design period of the Second-Generation Torques, particular consideration was given to shaving every possible bit of weight from the Gen-1 models.
Interestingly, when the I got the Gen-2 Torque field test models, I was shocked at just how fast they were.
I had to go down to my dock for a half-day, and completely re-set my personal casting form to accommodate it, but now I have achieved a minor increase in distance, but with considerably less effort with metal lures, etc, and with weightless live baits, the increase is dramatic.

SoCalAngler

Mr. Carson,

I'm happy to see you stop in here.

Like I said I fully believe the stock 6:1 brass gear in the Fathom star drags are very strong and offer nice cranking ability do to their size. Here is a pic of a couple of yt I caught a couple of years back that I landed with the stock gear. I have since landed many other fish with this reel.

And, as far as the stainless gears go in the Fathom LD2 here is some pics of my friends catch with his. He lives in Baja and asked me for a recommendation on a reel and with his budget in mind, I said a Fathom 25NLD should be the way to go. He is very happy with the reel and uses it almost every trip he goes on.

In the upper pic you can see the reel and rod he used for the Thresher and the lower pic gives you a better size of the fish he caught.

Sometimes even we get lucky enough to give these reels a work out.

Cor

Quote from: noyb72 on December 29, 2016, 02:23:10 AM
I know this sounds outdated, but to me the best cast control is a well trained thumb. I just don't see why you would want to slow down a spool that has so much put into it to spin fast.
Ron
That sound typically like a statement I would have made 10 years ago and I still think that a "well trained thumb" can outcast a reel with cast control, however.............an adjustable cast control, especially a magnetic system, makes casting much easier and you offer up very little distance in return.   I have converted completely and need a magnetic cast control on any reel now!   I make many casts a day, often quickly, to specific points, into wind or with wind, some short, some far and this is where an adjustable cast control comes into its own.

Just on the 25N, I have two of them and hardly use them now because they have been thoroughly disappointing, despite looking like fantastically well designed and manufactured bits of equipment on the inside.   I have given fairly detailed explanations about the issues in the past, so won't repeat it all.

This despite, I think that potentially these could be very good reels, but some attention to detail is needed.
Cornelis

RowdyW

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 29, 2018, 03:45:01 AM
Quote from: Tunanorth on January 02, 2017, 07:33:03 PM
True that the FTH series could have incorporated a stainless main gear, but it would have pushed it upward noticeably in price point.

I don't understand why.  Steal is very very cheap.
Stainless is very tough to machine & wears out machine tools at a much higher rate. The material also has a higher cost. Thus higher costs. Bronze will outlast common steel.