16/0 SHARK TANK...

Started by Alto Mare, December 30, 2016, 01:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Benni, I will put this here, I didn't want to ruin your "Luck" posts :)

I got a chance to open the reel and as I speculated, the ears on the washers failed.
I know that Adam as mentioned getting better material for those washers, I actually have a set coming from him, but taking everything in consideration, I'm thinking the failed washers might not be the only problem here.

on the left I'm showing the stock washers, those are 50% larger

Here is my take on this:
I know that Penn increased the size of the gears and drag washers as the reels grt larger... and it makes sense to me.

Here we have  the spool and frame larger by 1" and the gears kept the same. I'm not saying the new frame and spool is the problem, but they are probably helping with the additional stress on the drags.

Of course the new material for the washers might fix the issue, but I would still like to hear Adam's opinion.

Benni, for now I will set up the reel with these and see how it goes:
https://www.mysticparts.com/6-117SP-Kit-Drag-Washer-Kit-HT-1008482-with-Metals-14-pcs-P30378.aspx

Upgrading and testing is what we do here, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
I haven't heard of any other failing yet, so you might be the only lucky one Benni :)
If that's the case, the new material should take care of the problem.

Give me some time to order parts, and I'll send it back.
You did a good job on the heat shield as well, I don't blame you, you were probably trying so hard to stop that monster :).

Mystic reel parts is not showing that particular part, I could probably straighten it out, or see if I have one.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Sal, thanks for showing this... Jeff

Three se7ens

Sal, I have you covered on a set of replacement cf washers.  That's pretty impressive.  Even with the sub-par quality I had seen on some of the batches of cf material, this kind of failure took a (or many) pretty solid fish. 

Alto Mare

Not a problem Jeff.

Thank you Adam...I didn't expect any less from you.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

A set of drag washers Adam gave me to use in the 6/0 Daron gave me did the same thing. I never mentioned it because Adam & you both said there was the possibility of it.

But good Gawd when they worked they where as slickery smooth as greased glass, with great start up, very little if any build up until that drag started to work.  My drag was set at 24 lbs. & my drag scales are dead on
right. The material in these washers appears to be the same but hard to tell from pic... Jeff

David Hall

I would like to hear the story on the failure, what were the circumstances, maybe that insert kit of Adams is just to much horsepower on that big reel for the design of the cf washers? 

Three se7ens

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 02, 2018, 03:35:32 AM
A set of drag washers Adam gave me to use in the 6/0 Daron gave me did the same thing. I never mentioned it because Adam & you both said there was the possibility of it.

But good Gawd when they worked they where as slickery smooth as greased glass, with great start up, very little if any build up until that drag started to work.  My drag was set at 24 lbs. & my drag scales are dead on
right. The material in these washers appears to be the same but hard to tell from pic... Jeff

Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt I sent you a kit with standard washers and also a set of prototype washers to test out too?

Those prototype washers were great, until they failed.  Which happened too often, and usually at the worse time.  You will not be seeing any of those, and I learned a very expensive lesson...

Rivverrat

Yes Adam you are correct.  You explained this all very clearly to me prior to sending them out. For any that dont know  I want to be very clear that Adam was not selling these washers I had. They were as Adam stated a prototype & Adam was very honest in stating any negative findings prior to sending them to me. He asked that I try them out & was nice enough to send out a set along with a regular set for me to use in his drag insert kit.

Sorry about that Adam I did not mean in any way to give the wrong impression. I was speaking from the knowledge you & Sal would know what I was talking about. But being a bit of an air head I didnt think about being clear for others sake... Jeff

Benni3

Quote from: David Hall on September 02, 2018, 03:37:01 AM
I would like to hear the story on the failure, what were the circumstances, maybe that insert kit of Adams is just to much horsepower on that big reel for the design of the cf washers?  
fish #2 broke another rod holder and was right under the boat and the captain said tighten up the drag and pull him up  ??? The fish didn't like that and decided to go back to the wreck,,,,he was a monster :o and the drag washers got hot,,,but no problems with the 9/0 even though they said I was shooting a elephant with a bb gun I got a small 1 ;D

Three se7ens

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 02, 2018, 04:19:09 AM

Yes Adam you are correct.  You explained this all very clearly to me prior to sending them out. For any that dont know  I want to be very clear that Adam was not selling these washers I had. They were as Adam stated a prototype & Adam was very honest in stating any negative findings prior to sending them to me. He asked that I try them out & was nice enough to send out a set along with a regular set for me to use in his drag insert kit.

Sorry about that Adam I did not mean in any way to give the wrong impression. I was speaking from the knowledge you & Sal would know what I was talking about. But being a bit of an air head I didnt think about being clear for others sake... Jeff

Its all good, I just want to be clear.  I like feedback, even if its negative.  Those prototype washers were great at light drags.  But they just couldnt hold up to heavy pressure.  Most people wont every see those, and Im hoping the sets I did sent out for testing end up in the trash bin.  Testing is important, and failures teach as much, if not more, than successes. 

Shark Hunter

Were the prototype ones the harder material that was full on?
I never used any of those.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 02, 2018, 08:49:14 PM
Were the prototype ones the harder material that was full on?
I never used any of those.

This is the ones we are talking about.  The coarse weave was breaking apart at high loads. 

mikeysm

Why dont you sandwich a thin metal washer in between two carbon washers, That should give you more of a rigid dr
ag washer. You may have to use less washers but make it a whole lot stronger.

Mike

RowdyW

Quote from: mikeysm on September 03, 2018, 01:00:38 AM
Why dont you sandwich a thin metal washer in between two carbon washers, That should give you more of a rigid dr
ag washer. You may have to use less washers but make it a whole lot stronger.

Mike

My guess is that it would reduce the drag pressure. Backing off on the star wheel would have the same effect.               Rudy

Army_of_One

Would making drag washers in the shape of gear sleeve teeth would be an improvement?
Another day in Paradise!