Quick Dam 238

Started by SilverRidge, December 31, 2016, 04:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

Fred, I know your busy, got my eye on a 238 a couple of questions, and I promise not to ask ya anymore questions til next year ! Is the 238 smaller than the Microlite 265 and where is its place in the scheme of things in the quick dam series of spinning reels?

Thanks much and have a Happy New Years

Paul,

foakes

Never too busy for a DAM question, Paul...

238 was introduced in the early 60's -- along with the 218, 228, and 248.

These were supposed to be less expensive reels then the Microlites, and other Quicks of the day.

Although, it was mostly market positioning -- not quality reduction.  DAM came out with this series to compete with other retailers.  We need to recall that a DAM reel would cost sometimes twice as much as a comparable other quality make of that era.  

The German engineers, while designing a less expensive reel with a different drive system -- still ended up using many of the same parts and all of the production quality that they were known for.  They could not help themselves.

So, in my opinion, the 238 is a decent little reel.  3.3-1 gearing, 110 yards of 4 pound test, quality components, durable, 11 ounces.

The 265 Microlite is a better reel engineering-wise, IMO -- and offers 5-1 gearing, 100 yards of 4 pound test, better components, tough, smaller, and 8.2 ounces.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SilverRidge

Fred, noticed that the 218-228-238 are not as readily available for sale here in the USA, but in Europe they seem more popular, what's the going prices for these reels ..
Thanks
Paul

foakes

Right, Paul --

Mostly only the 238's & 248's made it across the pond.

At this point, most Quicks are not that expensive -- due primarily to the idea that they are stiff because of 40 year old beeswax grease, something busted, parts hard to come by, not enough modern "bling", etc..

In my opinion, they are sleepers, or bargain values currently.

I do notice over the past year however, that DAM Quicks are becoming more valuable --  and desirable reels to collect and use.

And this is true for many of the quality spinners over the last 40 or so years -- such as Mitchell, ABU, Penn, Shakespeare, OC, Shimano, Daiwa, and others.

Compared to the latest Tupperware Auto Disposable reel from Wal-Mart or Big 5 -- there is no comparison when it comes down to price, quality, longevity, and performance when a big fish is on.  Just make sure the reel is capable with new grease and good drags.  The fish haven't changed over the last 50 years -- but the new generations of anglers has changed.

For many years, and this is still true -- many of the "purist reel collectors" would only look at reels from the first 40 years of the last century. 

And there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem becomes -- there are only so many of these out there that are not in collections -- they are expensive -- no one uses them for fishing -- they are precious parts of collections.

This ignores the last 50 or 60 years -- when spinners became popular.

Average guy, me included, cannot afford to pay $200-$1000 for an old reel to sit in a case and look at.  My collection would have never got started if this was the case.

There are plenty of reels for everyone who wants to -- to collect.  Just find an interest, and start there.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SilverRidge

Today had the pleasure of handling the 238 I've had my eye on these past few weeks, I will shortly make a trade of Daiwa secondary parts this gent needs, that I've got, after reading. Fred's post that the 238 was their less expensive ( I hate saying cheap, makes it sound like its a inferior product ) economy introduction to compete with less expensive reels, again not surprised seeing and handling the vintage spinnng reels this company has produced. They are of high quality and the feel mechanically of this supposed entry level or economy reel  is as good or better IMHO than the more expensive marque reels being offered on the market today. I will own that reel ASAP photos forthcoming ....

Paul

foakes

Quote from: SilverRidge on January 07, 2017, 03:10:45 AM
Today had the pleasure of handling the 238 I've had my eye on these past few weeks, I will shortly make a trade of Daiwa secondary parts this gent needs, that I've got, after reading. Fred's post that the 238 was their less expensive ( I hate saying cheap, makes it sound like its a inferior product ) economy introduction to compete with less expensive reels, again not surprised seeing and handling the vintage spinnng reels this company has produced. They are of high quality and the feel mechanically of this supposed entry level or economy reel  is as good or better IMHO than the more expensive marque reels being offered on the market today. I will own that reel ASAP photos forthcoming ....

Paul

Few successful companies lessen their quality when offering less expensive products --

This is Marketing and Economics 101 --

What they do, is offer a lesser price -- slightly change the product, offering a different perception both to the expensive product consumers -- and their new market share of consumers they are creating -- who are looking for a less expensive price point.

Lets face it, if you want to sell more reels as a manufacturer -- in order to lower the price, what you do is use as many of your 100s of thousands of stockpiled parts -- and just add a new skin to the exterior for perception.

If you needed to source, design, produce, stock another family of parts -- the new less expensive reel would need to cost more than the more expensive reel -- if that makes any sense?

It is all consumer perception -- coupled with smart marketing.

As an example -- a new Lexus built by Toyota, shares 95% of its parts with a Toyota Camry (exact same part numbers).

Yet, the Camry costs half as much as the Lexus...

Any difference in quality? -- NO.

Any difference in performance? -- NO

A clever and smart manufacturer will not reduce the quality of even their less expensive products -- because their success is predicated on a continued perception and customer loyal support for their products.  They just want to sell more products to more consumers.  The dollars are just a math exercise for the consumer.

The guy buying the Lexus is showing everyone what he can afford, and-- the guy buying the Camry is buying the same basic car -- and bragging to his friends and neighbors what a good car he has at half the price of a Lexus.

Win-Win for everyone involved -- Camry driver, Lexus Driver, Manufacturer.

Same is true with Penn, and other quality manufacturers that have stood the test of time with good, solid, proven products -- as well as smart marketing and paying attention to the trends.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

SilverRidge

Fred,

A quick question hopefully, I was handling the 238 I have acquired and a real noticeable difference in the in hand weight compared to the 220 or 221 and even the 330, looking closely at the reel its frame or housing is some type of cast material different from the others, I recall you saying it was an inexpensive addition to their line of reels at the time, was wondering if you had the specs on the 238 thanks to this great forum my collection now consists of 2 Microlite, 110N, 220', 221N, 238, 331N, Finessa, 270 super, and a stationar rolle, quick and I may add I fish em all, just put some of my favorite 6 lb test Nanofil on the 110N and 265, good rains yesrerday down here in south Florida  and the lake behind my unit is Chuck full again so LM and Peacock bass watch out ...

Thanks
Paul

foakes

Hi Paul —

Actually, all I meant is that the 238 was a less expensive reel — not necessarily a lesser quality reel.

In those days, when an established quality manufacturer wanted/needed to introduce a less expensive model — they would generally use the parts they had on hand for other more expensive reels — then just change the appearance slightly of the finished product.

It is less expensive, and more efficient that way...

Same is true in comparing a Lexus with a Toyota Camry — each have about 70,000 parts, of which 90% (with exceptions being body, trim, or upgraded options) not only share the same parts — but have the same part numbers.  

What is the difference?  The buyer of the Lexus wouldn't buy a Toyota, since it doesn't speak to their view of success — and around $35K additional.

Nothing wrong with either choice — just customer perception.

The casing on a 238 is the same quality as on other Quicks, same aircraft quality aluminum, many shared components, etc..  The drive train is not as robust as the later worm gear models — but will never let you down.

Enjoy fishing her.

Here are a few specs.

The pics are upside down due to a front camera failure on my iPad — so when I get time, I will straighten them out.

Could send better copies if needed — would just need to scan.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

QuoteThe pics are upside down due to a front camera failure on my iPad — so when I get time, I will straighten them out.

If you click on them they enlarge and right themselves.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

SilverRidge

Yes they do, thanks Tommy, you can then blow em up and read the fine print ..

happyhooker

This is a really interesting post; started before I became an AT member & glad I found it now.

Frank