Hard to Find Newell Narrow Aluminum Spools for the Penn 349H and 349HC.

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, January 02, 2017, 03:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have several Newell narrow aluminum spools for the Penn 349H and HC.  They are all tested to spin true and vary in cosmetic condition from new in the box to an 8 on a 10 scale. 

These spools turn a 349H or 349HC Master Mariner into a dynamite yo-yo or wahoo bomb reel.  With the large spool diameter, approximately the same as a 6/0 Senator, and the 3.25:1 gear ratio, you can really get a jig moving!  The drag washers are the same size as a 9/0 Senator, so fishing 80 lb. line is well within this reel's range, and the super narrow 1 5/8" frame width makes it a breeze to load the line evenly.

If you would like to buy a complete reel, I have plenty of both the 349H and 349HC ranging in condition from average used (7 on a 10 scale) on up to mint collectors.  Add $35 dollars to the spool price to build a complete reel with average used condition parts.  I also have a good collection of Penn Newell and Penn Tiburon Wahoo Specials if you prefer a larger line capacity.

I can sell them for $95 for the 8 rated spool on up to $120 for the one that is new in the box.  Shipping is $3.75 by USPS first class parcel with tracking to to anywhere in the USA, including Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, Micronesia, Marianas, Palau, Marshall Islands, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, etc..

swill88

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: swill88 on January 09, 2017, 06:01:23 PM
Hi Randy, are any of these spools still available?

Steve

Yes Steve, the new one is gone, but I have three good used tested-true spools left.

Thanks,

Randy

Keta

Jump on these right away, they are made out of unobtanium and for what they are the price is more than fair.   I love my aluminum spooled 349H reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on January 02, 2017, 03:24:01 AM
I have several Newell narrow aluminum spools for the Penn 349H and HC.  They are all tested to spin true and vary in cosmetic condition from new in the box to an 8 on a 10 scale.  

The drag washers are the same size as a 9/0 Senator,

Randy,how do you get 9/0 drag washers to fit into a 349 main gear  ???  ::)

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Lee, the diameter of a 9/0 washer is to large for a 349 gear no matter who makes it. Unless you have a gear stretcher.  ;D

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on January 10, 2017, 05:37:04 AM
Lee, the diameter of a 9/0 washer is to large for a 349 gear no matter who makes it. Unless you have a gear stretcher.  ;D

Dawn's are not 9/0 washers, they fit my .047"  349H 5 metal washer sets she sells.   113H HT-100 washers can be used but they are undersized.

Mark Twain

RowdyW

Lee, I was refering to Randy's statement that 9/0 drags fit into a 349. I didn't say 113H 4/0 drags didn't fit a 349. I have 349's set up with both styles of drag washers. As I said 9/0 drags will NOT fit in a 349.

Keta

Yup, do you want a 5 washer 349H set?  I think I might have one left.

Mark Twain

RowdyW

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on January 10, 2017, 06:04:05 AM
I could use 2 complete sets of metal washers, keyed & eared.

I will dig for them as soon as I dig out from tonight's snow.

Mark Twain

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: RowdyW on January 10, 2017, 05:51:05 AM
Lee, I was refering to Randy's statement that 9/0 drags fit into a 349. I didn't say 113H 4/0 drags didn't fit a 349. I have 349's set up with both styles of drag washers. As I said 9/0 drags will NOT fit in a 349.

Rudy, I am sorry for creating the confusion.  What I meant to say was that the 349H drag washers are as big as the 9/0 drag washers, in fact I believe that they are slightly larger in OD, but even if the OD was identical, they would not be interchangeable because the 349H uses the smaller-diameter 113H size sleeve instead of the larger diameter 115/114H sleeve.   Given the slightly larger OD and the smaller ID, the 349H drag washer has more drag surface than either the 114H or the 115.

Thanks,

Randy

Keta

A Smooth Drag #59 Carbontex CF washer can be reformed for a perfect fit in the 349H gear, so far I have not destroyed the .020 washers in my 7 washer 349H stacks.  The 113H HT-100 washer works in a 349 gear.

Mark Twain

thorhammer

Lee, show us a pic of these pieces if you can. These are cool reels.

Steve, show the build if you proceed. What are you gonna do with it?