Hard to Find Newell Narrow Aluminum Spools for the Penn 349H and 349HC.

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, January 02, 2017, 03:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

349H 5 washer set

7 washer set assembled. I no longer make the 7 washer set, the 5 washer works great and I do not trust a .020" eared washer in this diameter.  So far I have not damaged ears on the thin washers but prefer .045" eared washers.  Smooth Drag sells my metal washers with Carbontex CF washers.

7 washer set with 349 main gear on right, 349H main gear on the left.  The pinions are mixed up, the left pinion gear is a 349. The 3 washer drag stack on the right is stock 349.  I had some 5 washer 349 sets but I think they are gone.

With one of Randy's aluminum spools and Dawn's drag upgrade the 349H makes a great reel, they are my go to reel for mid depth, to 600',  pacific halibut.  Jump on these spools, they are supper rare and $80.00 is a fair price.  Add a 113H gearsleeve and a SS dog and they are even better.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

swill88

Thanks for all the info Lee. Do you have a SS dog available for this reel?

John, I've got a lot of posting to do! Got to have the camera ready when doing any more reel work. I plan to use the MM for local bottom fishing and Baja trolling for wahoo & jurel.

I got 1 spool but it's for just a bit under a c note.

Keta

I misplaced the 15-349 mkIII dogs I cut but will look for them.  They do not have the long disengaging lever and are for the one lever 349 reels, they work on 2 lever reels but the AR will not disengage. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I found some unfinished mk IVa and mk IVb 349 dogs,  they do not have the second notch and reduce handle arm backlash.  The A has a longet arm and will disengage.

Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: Keta on January 10, 2017, 08:03:16 PM
I found some unfinished mk IVa and mk IVb 349 dogs,  they do not have the second notch and reduce handle arm backlash.  The A has a longet arm and will disengage.

I'm interested Lee. I'm able to finish them I think. What does mk III, mk IVa, mk IVb refer too?

Thanks

Keta

Different configurations.  I finished a few.  All have 1 notch to reduce handle backlash, some can be disengaged with the second lever some can not.

Mark Twain