Small fish finder

Started by blue garden, January 02, 2017, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue garden

I am a kayak fisherman, I am looking into getting a fish finder, hoping to get some input, I have been fishing in 150 to 400 feet of water, due to circumstances I am going to be trying another area,  will be doing a combo of trolling and bottom/ sub surface fishing relatively close to shore( 1/4 to 1 mile out), any  advise would be great.

El Pescador

blue garden,

THE BEST Small Fish Finder out there is our own - BIG TIM!!!!

Seriously, if there are small fish out there, not only does he find them, he catches them too!!!!

Kayak, party boat, private boat, he is the best in the business!

Check this out to make my point!!!      

And check out his last post - New Years Eve Day in Morro Bay- Same results - SMALL fish!!!   I know he really knows his small fish catch'n business!!!!!                http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20184.30

If you feel comfortable, please post your name!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

Garmin makes a pretty good fish finder that can run off a small 12v battery. I suggest going to a marine store and talk with them and the probably have a selection of what you need.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redfish12

I'm also a kayak guy and I have used lowrance and hummingbird products over the past 10 years of kayak fishing. I'll say that eventually saltwater kills them or the hazards of kayak fishing and so try not to spend a bunch of money. Lowrances usually go on sale this time of year and I would say to get one with a 5 inch screen and color if you can. You'll need a bigger battery with a color and larger screen but it's worth it. A 12v 7amp will likely last you a day of fishing, but you might want to bump up to a 10amp if you're going on longer trips so you can turn up the screen brightness which is always an issue in the wide open sun with polarized glasses on. Make sure the transducer you buy will work in the depth you are fishing as most in this screen size are usually for shallow water fishing under 100ft. Some are dual frequency so just make sure to read up!

What kind of kayak are you fishing from? Post pictures of your rig!

fsrmn

I just mounted one on my boat so I have these as extra. They work well and are like new.
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/spo/5942741775.html
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

blue garden

Quote from: El Pescador on January 02, 2017, 06:12:51 PM
blue garden,

THE BEST Small Fish Finder out there is our own - BIG TIM!!!!

Seriously, if there are small fish out there, not only does he find them, he catches them too!!!!

Kayak, party boat, private boat, he is the best in the business!

Check this out to make my point!!!      

And check out his last post - New Years Eve Day in Morro Bay- Same results - SMALL fish!!!   I know he really knows his small fish catch'n business!!!!!                http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20184.30

If you feel comfortable, please post your name!!!

Wayne
that's great Wayne, thanks

blue garden

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 02, 2017, 06:31:12 PM
Garmin makes a pretty good fish finder that can run off a small 12v battery. I suggest going to a marine store and talk with them and the probably have a selection of what you need.
Thanks Bryan, I have a batt and a transducer, the ff I had died, only used it a few times

blue garden

Quote from: redfish12 on January 02, 2017, 07:02:05 PM
I'm also a kayak guy and I have used lowrance and hummingbird products over the past 10 years of kayak fishing. I'll say that eventually saltwater kills them or the hazards of kayak fishing and so try not to spend a bunch of money. Lowrances usually go on sale this time of year and I would say to get one with a 5 inch screen and color if you can. You'll need a bigger battery with a color and larger screen but it's worth it. A 12v 7amp will likely last you a day of fishing, but you might want to bump up to a 10amp if you're going on longer trips so you can turn up the screen brightness which is always an issue in the wide open sun with polarized glasses on. Make sure the transducer you buy will work in the depth you are fishing as most in this screen size are usually for shallow water fishing under 100ft. Some are dual frequency so just make sure to read up!

What kind of kayak are you fishing from? Post pictures of your rig!
Thanks Red, I have a 9 amp battery, I will look into my transducer as I wasn't crazy about the way my last setup worked, the total of three times I used it. I have a 11' scrambler, the area I have been fishing for about three years requires me to carry my yak and gear about 500' feet over jagged rocks, so I have stuck with a small rig, the elements at that spot are getting to difficult, so I am going to try a new spot.
The yak isn't much, the custom pole holder I am proud of,  I will post some pics soon.

blue garden

Quote from: fsrmn on January 02, 2017, 11:18:46 PM
I just mounted one on my boat so I have these as extra. They work well and are like new.
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/spo/5942741775.html
Thanks fsrm,  I will stay local for this, I am in hawaii