one piece dog and post for a squidder

Started by mhc, January 04, 2017, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Take 3 - using a refined post and dog blanks made on a lathe. Thanks again Chris.
The prototypes had a 3 mm dia post +/- 0.1 mm and a 1/8" or 3.175 mm hole. The C clips I had on hand were a little loose and I had gently squeezed the clips to close them slightly - Chris thought it would be better to make the post 3.5 mm and a tight fit with the clips. I used a 9/64" or 3.57 mm bit for the hole and it has worked well - free but not loose.

The blank dogs made by Chris - one 3.5 mm and one 3.0 mm post;

The shaped dog using the 3.5 mm post blank;

And the dog installed on the bridge;

I was happy with the prototype but this close tolerance one is working very well, thanks again Chris!

My double dogged Cortez Classic Squidder - Thanks Tom.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 09, 2017, 02:16:10 PM
Best dog I've seen, great job!
Thanks Sal & I agree - Tom's dogs present very well with the polished finish and fine bevel on all edges! They should be on display, not hidden away in the inner workings of the reels.  ;D ;D

I had 2 of my prototypes left after putting the machined post one into the squidder. They worked OK so I decided to put them on a 3-200 bridge for a surfmaster 200 I am narrowing to 100 width. I wanted to make use of them and I'm keen to do away with the flat spring on the main dog in the 200 anyway. The flat springs work fine but I find them awkward to assemble and prefer the dogs on the bridge.

Mike

mhc

A quick update on putting the 2nd bridge into a surfmaster: It doesn't fit using a Newell spool.
I don't have a Penn 29L-100 spool (yet) to check if it will work with a Penn spool, but ribs on the Newell spool are higher than on the Penn Squidder 29L-146 and rub on the back of the posts.

Here's a photo of a Newell 100 and a Penn squidder spool showing the difference in clearance;

I had to go back to dogs and posts on top of the bridge to double dog the surfmaster with a Newell spool.

Mike

following up: The bridge with the one piece dog/post does fit in a surfmaster using the Penn 29L-100 spool.  

kmstorm64

Quote from: mhc on January 04, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
I recently received a Cortez Classic 146 squidder kit - Thanks Tom!! - and then started thinking about how to double dog it while I wait for the internal parts. I know reels this size don't need two dogs for strength but I like to reduce the handle back-play as much as possible. Tom's 9 tooth 98-155 gear sleeve helps a bit but two alternating dogs would be twice as good.
I am not going to modify Tom's plates, so hanging the second dog on the available bridge screw won't work, and there is very little clearance between the gear and the side plate so a 2nd dog on the bridge would need to fit between Tom's 98-155 sleeve ratchet and the outer diameter of the 5-60 gear - a gap about 5.5mm wide.

The narrowest dogs that I know of (width at the post) are Cortez squidder dogs at 5.3mm and Pro Challenger jigmaster dogs at 5.5mm. Dogs swiveling on a post won't fit unless maybe the post size can be redu

If the dog and post were one piece, swiveling in a hole in the bridge, the dog could be as narrow as the post, or slightly wider to give a shoulder - around 3-4 mm total width. I've got a feeling I've seen this concept before but can't remember where, I'm sure I wouldn't be the first to think of it.
I made a rough prototype out of 6mm 316 stainless, using files and a hacksaw - my axe is broken  ;D and tested it in an old 3-66 bridge I have used for a few trials.

Cut a groove for a C clip with a bit of scrap the thickness of the bridge as a guide;

The faded black marker lines on the bridge are traced around a 5-60 gear. I.ve used a small 349 style dog spring here but have left some material at the back of the dog to play around with shaping it for a coil spring if it fits.

The gear in place covering the dog and spring;

C clip holding it in place (before the post was trimmed)

I bench tested the dog to an equivalent static drag of 20lbs, using a 'torque bar' and logic from jurelometer's thread on calculating gear shaft torque: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14241.30  (no photo's).
The dog, post and hole performed well at 20lbs - there was no deformation of any of the components.

I had a concern the post would wear the hole in the plate, then forgot about it in my enthusiasm, Chris (Rothmar2) had the same concern when I showed him some photos and suggested a stainless bridge might hold up better. I've seen dogs worn at the ratchet end but I haven't seen the post hole flogged out on a dog - is this because the tips wear first and are replaced before the post hole wears?

I'm wondering what others think, keeping in mind we are talking about a squidder with 10 - 15 lbs drag max.  

Mike

Because of done this Harley parts did you give any consideration to a negative fitment by freezing one and warming up the other part of the dog?
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

mhc

Quote from: kmstorm64 on July 18, 2018, 09:42:38 PM
Because of done this Harley parts did you give any consideration to a negative fitment by freezing one and warming up the other part of the dog?

Hi kmstorm - no I didn't think of negative fitment. It sounds interesting though, I'd like to hear a bit more about the process. Do you use a 1/8" hole for a 1/8" post or should the post be slightly larger? I guess it would depend on the thermal expansion of the metal(s) used.

Mike

ez2cdave

MHC / Mike,

Have there been any more developments ?

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

mhc

Not yet Dave, I haven't tinkered with reels for a while now - I've been thinking I should do something soon but keep getting side tracked.
Mike

Decker

If someone could manufacture something along these lines, it would be a popular Squidder upgrade.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Decker on November 03, 2021, 04:02:36 PM
If someone could manufacture something along these lines, it would be a popular Squidder upgrade.

AGREED . . . 100 %  ! ! !

Count me in ! ! !