A Favorite Tiny D.A.M. Quick Microlite Reel

Started by foakes, January 05, 2017, 11:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This is a reel I am building out for a friend --

DAM Quick 265 Microlite -- Circa 1960.

Just notice the engineering of the gears, pinion, quality of components, materials, and tolerances.

Just like a watch.

Replaced 23 parts with New Old Stock parts out of the bins.

Spooled the metal spool with 4 pound Trilene.

5:1 ratio.

Runs like a top after 56 years -- and balances perfectly on a 5' Fenwick Ultralight glass rod.

Hair over 8 ounces -- not many tougher reels in this class out there -- for any price.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Solid Work Fred.
It takes a Professional to Produce a reel of this Quality after 56 years since being born.
Tweaked, Serviced, Ready to Perform.
Class Act. ;)
Life is Good!

steelhead_killer

><)))">

SilverRidge

Superior work Fred, as only you can do, you are gifted my friend .....

Thanks
Paul

mo65

Fred, is this reel convertible? As in...does the handle go on either side?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on January 18, 2018, 04:52:13 PM
  Fred, is this reel convertible? As in...does the handle go on either side?

Yep...
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Right, Mike --

The crank is reversible to either the port or starboard side.

No extra parts needed -- everything is already there.

On DAM's -- we do not need a new body, or reverse threads, or separate rotors going in different directions, or special bail springs, etc, etc...

Although, It is more than just switching crank sides -- but it is easy enough to figure out. You would have no issues.

Anyone who might need help on this -- just let me know, and I could post a mini tutorial -- or help you directly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Thanks for the speedy answer guys! I pulled the trigger on one of these cuties. 8)

nagant

Here are some pics of the reversible  crank. Main gear has large and small threaded holes and crank has step with reduced diameter so will work from both sides. Thought i would add these here since i was changing it over.
Brice

PacRat

I blame Fred. I've been over here in the spinners pages looking for some info and I kept seeing Fred's posts about DAM Quicks...specifically the 265. I really learned to respect Fred's opinion and I needed something at the lighter end of the spectrum so I picked up a 265. Typically I look for details like unmolested sideplate screws so I know that a reel hasn't been monkeyed with too much. The reel I chose did have some tell-tale screwdriver rash on the sideplate screws but what nearly 60 year old reel wouldn't? besides, the seller said everything worked and that it was a good reel. Also the rest of the reel showed very little wear and tear.
The good news was that everything did work and was just gunked up with the old waxey grease. The bad news was that the AR lever worked but felt very loose. I was hoping the spring was just gunked up. When I disassembled I was very happy with the lack of wear, the gears were very crisp and the bearings were tight. The AR mechanism was not so tight. First I tried tightening the nut with just a socket and my fingers (no ratchet). I could feel the nut tighten then release so I knew I had problems. Once I got it disassembled and de-greased the problem was obvious. The AR cam/bolt was partially stripped and the reel housing was wallowed out a bit indicating that it had been that way for a long time.
This is where Fred came to the rescue. I had contacted him for advice (possibly chasing the threads in the nut and hoping for the best). Fred jumped right in and not only generously shared his advice, he also shared his parts. Within days I had a new AR cam/bolt, nut and spring washers...also new sideplate screws and drag washers. Thank You Fred! I also reassembled using the CorrosionX grease that Marv sent me so the Ohana has shined on this little reel. So far I really like the CorrosionX grease, I thinned it with ReelX...time will tell and I'll make more comments on the CorrosionX grease over time.
Fred was right about this little Microlite being built like a tank and yet being so smooth and functional. I haven't fished it yet but have been doing some casting and it just keeps getting better with each retrieve. I'm certain this reel will out-live me...I hope my future grandkids will get to appreciate it one day. Thanks again Fred and Marv.
-Mike

mo65

Glad you got your 265 all fixed up Mike, they are killer little reels, enjoy! 8)

PacRat

Yep..."killer little reel" is a perfect description...so over-built yet still nice and light. I feel these are a lifetime purchase and a person would be hard pressed to wear one out. I have a couple modern ultra-lights that just became loaners.