3.7:1 Jigmaster with three (or four) dogs on the bridge.

Started by mhc, January 06, 2017, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

steelfish

Quote from: mhc on January 08, 2017, 11:38:59 AM
Different bridge but same concept - I haven't cleaned up the 4th dog and need to trim a little off the post - but yes, Alex and Fred, there is room for a 4th dog! I'll clean it up, modify the plate a bit more, and file the flats on the sleeve so I can cover them with a metal washer later in the week - but it seems to work okay - even if it is a bit silly  ;D ;D

told ya!!

I dont see anything silly in there, pure genius!!

now I want to hear the sound of that revolver gun
The Baja Guy

pjstevko

I'm really gonna show my lack of knowledge but I'll ask anyway.....

What's the reasoning behind having that many dogs?

Bryan Young

PJ,

It's to reduce handle back play and more of an instant drag engagement.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Mike, neat creation! Just a question.  In the "4 Dog" photo it looks like the bottom left dog would hit the top left dog when the reel goes in free spool but it probably just misses? :-\
Ain't no back play in that Jiggy. 8)
Dom

Bruce

Wow  !   That is great  innovation and workmanship .

Just like hot roding , if more is good too much  is mo better .

I love it   Buzz
Buzz

mhc

Thanks again guys,
Quote from: Buzz on January 10, 2017, 05:46:38 AM
... , if more is good too much  is mo better .

Haha - that's it Buzz - too much is never enough!  ;D ;D

Quote from: pjstevko on January 09, 2017, 05:23:16 PM
What's the reasoning behind having that many dogs?

Bryan's right PJ - all that these 3 & 4 dog bridges do is reduce the handle back play, there's no real advantage other than personal preference. On the other hand, double dogs that have simultaneous engagement, like Alan C's Pro Challenger double dog bridges, and most of Sal's custom double dog reels, improve the strength capacity of the reel by supporting the gear sleeve at two points and sharing the load over two dogs - a good option when using Bryan's five stack drag, Lee's insert or Alan C's JM500X gear set to their capacity of 20+ lbs of drag in jigmasters (& higher in senators).

Quote from: broadway on January 10, 2017, 04:07:46 AM
In the "4 Dog" photo it looks like the bottom left dog would hit the top left dog when the reel goes in free spool but it probably just misses? :-\
Ain't no back play in that Jiggy. 8)
Dom

Thanks Dom, It's close, the second dog did hit the third dog (not by much) when I first put it together, I filed a bit off the underside of dog 3 and reshaped the top of dog 2 so they just miss each other. The four dog bridge was the first three dog attempt and I shaped the second dog a bit better in the next one. And yeah, not much back play at all - I'm starting to like it more. I haven't got it on a reel yet, one of the posts are still a tad high - the under gear metal washer rubs slightly when the drag is tightened.

Mike    
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

broadway

Mike,
   I figured you had already worked things out, but had to ask.  It's really amazing how you got them all in there.
Nice job again,
Dom

Three se7ens

And here I was thinking 3 dogs on a 115 bridge was a bit tight...

Nicely done!

obawon

The prophecy of old draws near, that one day amongst you shall walk the man of the 5th dog, and power over the fish of the sea shall flow from his hand....LoL :D

mhc

Yes obawon, and those that worship the false dogs of gilded IAR reels shall be cast into perpetual comfort and practicality.  ??? ;D ;D
Welcome to the AT site - a hall of reel wisdom with members that collectively know and understand the mechanics and application of most reels, sometimes more than the manufacturers do.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mizmo67

"Pappy said "Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that ...hot...rod...jiggy" " ;D

Looks like it was a fun project.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com