Penn 20/0 Senator

Started by The Great Maudu, January 06, 2017, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Hey don't ask for photos go buy it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gunrunner

Speaking of buying things I wanted to ask
What would a fare price be on a penn 10/0
I am looking at one to buy and wanted to
Make the guy an honest offer here are some
Pics of the reel I'm looking at

Thanx
Scott

RowdyW

Make sure that there are no missing parts because they are expensive on 10/0 & larger reels. Rod clamp missing, that's a $20-$25 item, front rod harness missing that's another $20+ dollars.

foakes

At least for me, I hate making offers -- would rather know the price the seller wants before hand.

Many sellers say something like:

"I do not know what it is worth, make me an offer".

Offer them $50 -- and magically and immediately -- they know exactly what they want for it.

But for me, this is uncomfortable, as well as not courteous to all parties involved.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: RowdyW on January 17, 2017, 07:29:44 PM
Make sure that there are no missing parts because they are expensive on 10/0 & larger reels. Rod clamp missing, that's a $20-$25 item, front rod harness missing that's another $20+ dollars.

X2..
When buying older senators, I check the drag stack (if in hand), missing external rod braces and clamp, and check condition of bearings, sleeve, clicker, and rings.  I ad up cost of missing/replacement parts and subtract from tye faur market value of the used reel (you csn look at past sold listings on Ebay) to make them a fair offer.  If I can't check the reel out on person, I assume it needs a new drag stack, and any obvious external stuff.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Guy are correct! you need to take in consideration what's missing. Personally, I would never be concerned on drag washers, that is maintenance and doesn't really come into play here, but I would be concerned on what shape the  gears are in.
As I see that reel, a fair quote to me would be $150-$160. If it had braces and clamp I would go $170-$180
The overall condition has a lot to do with it, My two reels above would be around $320 a piece, very close to $700 combined. Those are as close as you're going to get to new.

I'm not a pro, I'm sure there are others here more knowlegeable than me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

I'd offer $25, but then I have the fortunate history of an incredible purchase price  ::) ::). Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

That reel is a Bushing model. It probably has a three piece spool. More of a collectors reel.
The non handle side looks fishy. There should be an adjustable bushing on that side.
It looks like the spool shaft has been modified.
A 10/0 spool is tough find.
Unless you want it for parts, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

It sure looks like bearings to me. The leftside bushing is way larger than that tiny bearing cup he's showing.The right side is definitely a bushing.

Sal

The Great Maudu

I would not be interested because I don't want another project. But if I did I would offer $100 tops. You are going to put another $75 -$100 in rod clamp, rod brace, replacement ring to get rid of the one with the ss number, shipping,etc. Save your money until you can buy a nice one in the $200-$250 range.

Shark Hunter

I just know something's not right with it.
You can run a bearing handle plate with a Bushing non handle plate, but it doesn't work the other way around.
Just the Bushing on the handle side is enough to scare me off. :o
Ted calls it "my self induced buying parameters".
I only roll with a ball bearing Senator and one piece spool.
I've seen them in action and I like to go with what works for me. ;)
These reels are like firearms, they are only going to go up in Value with reel heads like us around.
I have only been collecting a few years and the 10/0 is getting scarce at a good price.
Just two or three years ago, they could be had for around $150 tops in good shape.
Those days are gone now.
I pay close attention to the details when buying one. If something doesn't look right, I walk away.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You are correct about being cautious Daron and it's a good advice. Keep in mind for someone as us, you wouldn't loose that much if you did buy it at $150. You would get left side plate, gears,( there is a 99% chance those are steel),clutch assembly and you're already there.
By the way, I've been collecting 10/0's for over 10 years, during that time, I have never seen one in good shape go for $150, unless Ted was sending it to me.

Gunrunner

Thanx guys I asked if he had the rod braces
And if the reel had been modified in any way
I will let you know Fred you were right offer 50.00
And they magically know what they want in this
Case 125.00 I'll wait to hear the answers then
Counter or accept