114HLW with a Penn Aluminum Frame

Started by mley1, January 06, 2017, 10:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I'm still up in the air with upgrades...plans so far are DD, Bryans Drag Kit, handle/arm upgrade, SS Sleeve and SS Dogs...still trying to figure out what I want to do with Line...either all 80 lb Momoi Diamond or partial hollow/partial mono topshot...

I have it teared completely down and all cleaned up...winter will be kind to this reel  ;D

One thing I've noticed recently...the full aluminum frames were available on the 114, the 114HL and the 114 HLW.  I did look in my 2007 catalog and it shows the HLW with the full frame as well...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

suitekids

Those are really nice, I have the 114h size with aluminum frame, it's unfished, because I got into the Accurate upgrade scene and use them as my go to setups, Ill bet any of the full aluminum framed 114's are going to pull in a pretty penny for a collector, no need to upgrade the frame that's for sure, DD's, AT gear sleeve, Bryan's 7+1, Pro challenger gear set, and it will be a great reel for a long time. Time to put mine on the big auction

Rothmar2

Just recently did a conversion for a friend who bought a full frame locally, not realising it was wide version. He ordered a wide spool from Scott's/Mystics, and we put it all together. I had already DD'd the plates, and we chucked in a SS sleeve I had laying about. Made some new SS dogs to go with it. Brutal reel, that swallowed up a truckload of 80lb braid, and roughly 100m 80lb mono topshot. Got 24lb of drag without too much stress on the star, with stock drags. This reel will stop just about anything.

mhc

Sounds like a beast Chris, will your mate get a chance to tackle a sword with it? I hope you had access to a spooling station to load the braid.  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Gfish

Quote from: suitekids on May 19, 2018, 03:29:56 PM
Those are really nice, I have the 114h size with aluminum frame, it's unfished, because I got into the Accurate upgrade scene and use them as my go to setups, Ill bet any of the full aluminum framed 114's are going to pull in a pretty penny for a collector, no need to upgrade the frame that's for sure, DD's, AT gear sleeve, Bryan's 7+1, Pro challenger gear set, and it will be a great reel for a long time. Time to put mine on the big auction
Do you, or anyone else, think the Penn full frames would be worth more or less than the Accuframes?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Gfish on May 20, 2018, 06:15:56 PM
Quote from: suitekids on May 19, 2018, 03:29:56 PM
Do you, or anyone else, think the Penn full frames would be worth more or less than the Accuframes?
I would say less, since Accurate doesn't make them anymore.  I can get AL framed Senators for not much more than the bar version.  It sucks getting one with the sideplate screws seized up though.
Another day in Paradise!

suitekids

They don't make these anymore either, but, Accurate to this day always pulls a premium, just the way it is. I have 4 6/0 Accuframe conversions, and only have 1 of the Penn full frames. I agree about the screws snapping off, nobody seemed to fill all the holes with grease before re-assembly and the 2 different metals surely seized up on more than one occasion. Sal sent me a couple frames years ago to try and repair, Almost futile to drill and tap out the old snapped screw. I think to a "TRUE" Penn collector these should be worth a premium, they are rare in perfect or like new condition, more than the Accurate is IMHO. Mine is just the standard size 114H and not the 114HLW which is probably rarer yet,  A chap has one on the bay right now for $145, and personally I think it's a steal!!!! But, I fish all my stuff and not an avid Penn collector, I have not fished my 114h full frame, it is like new, only thing I did was repack the bearings, put in a set of smoothdrags from Dawn, Greased the drags with Cals, and Yamaha greased painted the entire interior and filled all the frame holes with the needle greaser, and put it back in the drawer. LOL

Rothmar2

Quote from: mhc on May 20, 2018, 10:12:32 AM
Sounds like a beast Chris, will your mate get a chance to tackle a sword with it? I hope you had access to a spooling station to load the braid.  ;D

Mike

Maybe not a Sword, but possibly a jumbo tuna in the next couple of weeks. No to the spooling machine, actually spooled it in a car park over a few coffee's. Got a few strange looks!
I think my mate got the frame for about $60 AUD delivered. Condition wise, probably 7-8/10. Sounds like it may have been a bargain. I'll make him aware that these full frames could be a bit rare, so he will look after it properly.