One 50 Class reel....that's ready to fish out of the box?

Started by TJ Arima, January 08, 2017, 05:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Arima

Since I am new to offshore fishing (mainly YFT), have very limited mechanical skills, and have set my mind on 50 Class reel, I am hoping Alan or other reel gurus on this board can narrow down my search.

What is one reel (50 size, like mak50 or 50wlrs) that I can take out of the box, spool some line, and go trolling? I like the idea of people opening up new reels, add grease or oil, tighten this and that, and be good to go for a long time, but I'm not that inclined. My plan is to find one that's already greased/oiled up ready to go then maybe after a season, send it to reel mechanic to service. Been reading a lot into these Makaira reels that comes greased/oiled up ready to go but not sure if I'm right. Too much reading? Maybe.

Some have told me to go 80 Class or even 130 for YFT just in case something big show up but I'm sticking with 50s. Please help. Thank you in advance

TJ

FatTuna

I'd get a Tiagra 50W LRSA. It has a steeper drag cam and the hydrothermal drag piston. In my opinion, it's the best 50 on the market.

I'd spool it up with 130lb Jerry brown with a 100lb topshot. You could do a 130lb topshot too. Up to you. If you go with braid, get it on there super tight.

There is no way you need a 130lb reel for yellowfin. An 80 seems big too. I'd do a 50W. If you feel you want something bigger, get the Penn 70.

SoCalAngler

TJ,

I think you may need to revise your question a bit because I'm not sure if your looking for a reel to fish 50 lb test or a 50 sized reel. There is a huge difference between a reel used for 50 lb test and a 50 sized reel.  It looks trolling will be most often used with the reel is this correct? And, if this he case what sized YFT will be targeted?

With a little more info I'm sure you will get the recommendations you are looking for.

foakes

Welcome, TJ --

A Makaira at 50# class with an appropriate quality rod, is a great combo -- or maybe one size larger.

I am going to be frank with you here -- and you may not want to hear it, however...

Let's face it, we spend a lot of money on our gear, our trips, our preparation, extra gear, etc.

I personally, would not trust the best manufacturer in the world to sell me a reel that I could take out of the box and fish.  Yes, many do just that -- but consider for a moment...

You buy your reel of choice, after getting some recommendations from others here based on your realistic target fish -- then ship it off to Alan, Bryan, Keith, or Sal.

They will spool it with the appropriate braid, and a topshot, do a complete pre-fish service, inspection, and lube -- then send it back to you ready to go.  You have to spool it up anyway -- what is another $40 or $60 for the peace of mind and confidence that you will be able to capably handle a large fish -- when you consider the cost of your trip, transportation, the rest of your gear, etc.?

I have seen something as simple as a loose screw, part installed wrong, or a misplaced spring -- ruin possibly the fish of a lifetime -- and spoil a $3000 trip.  No real fault -- just the way things are.  No harm in verifying and making sure the factory build is as good as it can be -- and ready to roll.

Your going fishing -- not playing Roulette -- take the risk out of the equation by doing a little strategic prep.

Just my opinions.

Good question, and any of the fellows I listed will do a steller job on your new reel.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TJ Arima

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 08, 2017, 05:53:36 AM
TJ,

I think you may need to revise your question a bit because I'm not sure if your looking for a reel to fish 50 lb test or a 50 sized reel. There is a huge difference between a reel used for 50 lb test and a 50 sized reel.  It looks trolling will be most often used with the reel is this correct? And, if this he case what sized YFT will be targeted?

With a little more info I'm sure you will get the recommendations you are looking for.

Just changed it a bit. Hopefully it's understandable. Not to fish 50# line but a 50 Class reel. Yes trolling is the main use and straight off the swivel rod holder, maybe stand up. 50-100 lbs YFT but also there's bigger too. Thanks

Quote from: foakes on January 08, 2017, 05:57:58 AM
Welcome, TJ --

A Makaira at 50# class with an appropriate quality rod, is a great combo -- or maybe one size larger.

I am going to be frank with you here -- and you may not want to hear it, however...

Let's face it, we spend a lot of money on our gear, our trips, our preparation, extra gear, etc.

I personally, would not trust the best manufacturer in the world to sell me a reel that I could take out of the box and fish.  Yes, many do just that -- but consider for a moment...

You buy your reel of choice, after getting some recommendations from others here based on your realistic target fish -- then ship it off to Alan, Bryan, Keith, or Sal.

They will spool it with the appropriate braid, and a topshot, do a complete pre-fish service, inspection, and lube -- then send it back to you ready to go.  You have to spool it up anyway -- what is another $40 or $60 for the peace of mind and confidence that you will be able to capably handle a large fish -- when you consider the cost of your trip, transportation, the rest of your gear, etc.?

I have seen something as simple as a loose screw, part installed wrong, or a misplaced spring -- ruin possibly the fish of a lifetime -- and spoil a $3000 trip.  No real fault -- just the way things are.  No harm in verifying and making sure the factory build is as good as it can be -- and ready to roll.

Your going fishing -- not playing Roulette -- take the risk out of the equation by doing a little strategic prep.

Just my opinions.

Good question, and any of the fellows I listed will do a steller job on your new reel.

Best Always,

Fred

Thank you sir. So what you're saying is no matter which 50 Class reel I buy, you recommend to send it to this guys to do a pre-fish service before I use it? That is good advise. Thank you. In that case, do any of these guys sell New reels already pre-checked ready to go? That would be fantastic.

SoCalAngler

For trolling 50 to 100 lb fish I feel a 50 sized reel may be too big for your needs. With fish of this weight and up to maybe 150 lbs a 30 sized reel is what I would use. If you plan on backing the reel with braided line a standard 30 size should work, if not a 30W may be needed.

A lot of people think a bigger reel is better but I on the other hand feel a more comfortable setup leads to a faster catch.

IMO a 130 is way too big, a 70 to 80 is also more than is what is needed a 50 may fit but since your on a private boat/ charter without several people hooked up at the same time with fish going in different directions should mean you can back down on a fish. Here is where I like smaller reels that have the stopping and cranking power to get the job done, and even at a lesser cost.

A Penn 30 VSX, Okuma 20 and a Avet 30 should fit the bill if spectra backing. Which should fit your application

But if you feel you need a larger reel for yardage look at a Okuma 30 ( which is like a 30W in other reels, a Avet 50 SDS or even a Penn 50 VSX.

If your looking to go strait mono a 50W should be more than enough reel to hold the line yardage in a trolling application there you can back down on a fish.

P.S. If the budget fits also look at the Accurate PTD reels.

All of the above should should fish fine out of the box but you came to a site where most of us tweek our reels no matter who makes them.

TJ Arima

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 08, 2017, 06:56:06 AM
For trolling 50 to 100 lb fish I feel a 50 sized reel may be too big for your needs. With fish of this weight and up to maybe 150 lbs a 30 sized reel is what I would use. If you plan on backing the reel with braided line a standard 30 size should work, if not a 30W may be needed.

A lot of people think a bigger reel is better but I on the other hand feel a more comfortable setup leads to a faster catch.

IMO a 130 is way too big, a 70 to 80 is also more than is what is needed a 50 may fit but since your on a private boat/ charter without several people hooked up at the same time with fish going in different directions should mean you can back down on a fish. Here is where I like smaller reels that have the stopping and cranking power to get the job done, and even at a lesser cost.

A Penn 30 VSX, Okuma 20 and a Avet 30 should fit the bill if spectra backing. Which should fit your application

But if you feel you need a larger reel for yardage look at a Okuma 30 ( which is like a 30W in other reels, a Avet 50 SDS or even a Penn 50 VSX.

If your looking to go strait mono a 50W should be more than enough reel to hold the line yardage in a trolling application there you can back down on a fish.

Thank you Sir. I'm going all Mono due to cost and also worry about the braid cutting myself and damaging my boat if it get hang up on something. I really like your idea of 30 wides but I plan to use 80# mono and not sure if any of 30 wides will have enough line if something big decide to run for a bit. Okuma 30 and Avet 30 looks real good right now. Thanks again

FatTuna

If you are going to fish a 50 out of a swivel rod holder you either need to get long bent butts or you can get short bent butts but you'd have to install inserts. The short bent butts make more sense for smaller reels. That way you could fish it stand up or out of the rod holder.

Personally, I don't see any reason to fish straight mono. You might as well back it with dacron. That way you only have to replace the head after it gets trashed. It's much cheaper in the long run. Dacron isn't expensive. If one shark/fish goes under the boat, your whole spool of mono would need to be redone. With backing, you only need to replace the top third. Dacron is similar is size to mono.

I agree with Socalangler, a 50 is a pretty heavy reel for 50-100lb fish.

TJ Arima

Quote from: FatTuna on January 08, 2017, 07:33:48 AM
If you are going to fish a 50 out of a swivel rod holder you either need to get long bent butts or you can get short bent butts but you'd have to install inserts. The short bent butts make more sense for smaller reels. That way you could fish it stand up or out of the rod holder.

Personally, I don't see any reason to fish straight mono. You might as well back it with dacron. That way you only have to replace the head after it gets trashed. It's much cheaper in the long run. Dacron isn't expensive. If one shark/fish goes under the boat, your whole spool of mono would need to be redone. With backing, you only need to replace the top third. Dacron is similar is size to mono.

I agree with Socalangler, a 50 is a pretty heavy reel for 50-100lb fish.

Thank you. I'm starting to like the idea of hollow core braid backing, maybe 500 yd braid, 200 yd mono on 50 Class reel. Still not sure I wanna go one size down to 30 but the prize of 30s may swing my decision. Thanks for good advise, I can see what you saying in the long run, I only change the mono side as braid will last longer. I'm waiting for a fellow with the sate type of boat as mine (Arima) to order his rod holders and see how they fit. Straight butts with bent rod holder looks like it will raise the reel way high. Short bent butt sounds good. Thanks

Bryan Young

If you are going to put braid backing, I would recommend a TLD20II.  plenty strong for your type of fishing, corrosion resistant, light, and you can buy almost 2 reels for the price of a a 50 and some 30s you are talking about.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

From someone that does mainly trolling in the Gulf of Mexico we use the Tiagra 50WLRS or newer 50WLRSA.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

i have the accurate atd 50, the mak 50 and the penn 50 vsx.  all excellent reels.  i would load them up with hollow core spectra, mostly 130 but make the last 100 yards a good quality 200 pound hollow core, then add what ever topshot you need.  it should be good for a lifetime!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TJ Arima

Thank you all. Still doing my research. I think it's winding down to between Avet EXW and Makaira MK or SEA series either 30s or 50s. Reading all the forums between the two reel brands.

boon

My thinking is that if you're going to fish it with a bent butt from a rod holder with 100lb+ braid, assuming you have a reel that can output 40kg or so of drag (i.e. MAK50) I don't think capacity will be terribly important. I'd love to see a YFT that could run more than a couple of hundred meters pulling 40kg of drag. I would also want a very stable boat and an overbuilt transom/gunwale.

TJ Arima

Quote from: boon on January 09, 2017, 12:42:11 AM
My thinking is that if you're going to fish it with a bent butt from a rod holder with 100lb+ braid, assuming you have a reel that can output 40kg or so of drag (i.e. MAK50) I don't think capacity will be terribly important. I'd love to see a YFT that could run more than a couple of hundred meters pulling 40kg of drag. I would also want a very stable boat and an overbuilt transom/gunwale.

I'm not very good with your Kg and meter numbers but I will be using the reel mostly around 25-30lbs of drag at strike and Will be spooled with 100 lb hollow core braid and 100 lb top shot. I was hoping to use 80 lb mono on 50 Class reel (i.e. MAKAIRA 50) that why I opted for a bigger reel and for cost savings but like mentioned above, in a long term, I might be well off with braid and mono and smaller 30 Class reel. What do you use for YFT?