One 50 Class reel....that's ready to fish out of the box?

Started by TJ Arima, January 08, 2017, 05:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

You really don't want to fish a drag super high. It will result in more pulled hooks. We set our strike drag in the high 30s, low 40s fishing 130s out of the rod holder for bluefin. We also fish soft rods with 100 yard - 150 yard topshots to add more stretch. You are better off letting the fish take some line and wear him down.

25-30lbs at strike is a good starting off point fishing a 50lb reel.

I did a bunch of research on hollow braid when I was getting my reels setup. The 130lb Jerry Brown is actually cheaper than the 80lb or 100lb which is why a lot of guys fish it. Contact Keta on this site if you need some hollow braid. He hooked me up with some great prices. Shipping was lightning fast. I like the multi-colored JB the best.

Keta

Quote from: FatTuna on January 09, 2017, 03:56:38 AM
. Contact Keta on this site if you need some hollow braid. He hooked me up with some great prices. Shipping was lightning fast. I like the multi-colored JB the best.

Unfortunately Jerry was forced to raze the price a bit but my markup will still be low.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TJ Arima

Thanks FatTuna. I'll keep Keta in mind when I'm ready to order JB Hollow.

boon

If you're only going to fish maybe 30lb of drag I don't see the need to run 100lb line unless you're really worried about abrasion... the 1/3rd rule, in my personal opinion, is pretty outdated. With modern knots (FG, PR, AG Chain) and splicing achieving very close to 100% line strength, why not use the smallest reel and lightest line that will get you what you need - in your case, 50-60lb hollowcore with a topshot.

Last I fished for YFT we were using 80Ws spooled with straight 80lb mono, but that was due to the high probability of billfish in the area.

TJ Arima

Quote from: boon on January 09, 2017, 07:51:05 AM
If you're only going to fish maybe 30lb of drag I don't see the need to run 100lb line unless you're really worried about abrasion... the 1/3rd rule, in my personal opinion, is pretty outdated. With modern knots (FG, PR, AG Chain) and splicing achieving very close to 100% line strength, why not use the smallest reel and lightest line that will get you what you need - in your case, 50-60lb hollowcore with a topshot.

Last I fished for YFT we were using 80Ws spooled with straight 80lb mono, but that was due to the high probability of billfish in the area.

Thank you. Yes, very good possibility of big bill fish in Hawaii, that's why I want to run 80 mono on 50 wide if possible or 30 wide with braid backing.

Quote from: alantani on January 08, 2017, 06:45:35 PM
i have the accurate atd 50, the mak 50 and the penn 50 vsx.  all excellent reels.  i would load them up with hollow core spectra, mostly 130 but make the last 100 yards a good quality 200 pound hollow core, then add what ever topshot you need.  it should be good for a lifetime!

Sir, you mentioned on other posts, you have Mak 50 And Mak 20. Do you have Mak 30? Is your post on pre-service of Mak 50 be the same as the 30? Do you think it's good idea to shell out another $60+ for the Mak 30 SEa? Thank you in advance.

boon

Quote from: TJ Arima on January 09, 2017, 08:42:42 AM
Quote from: boon on January 09, 2017, 07:51:05 AM

Thank you. Yes, very good possibility of big bill fish in Hawaii, that's why I want to run 80 mono on 50 wide if possible or 30 wide with braid backing.

That makes things tricky, a 50W fits 560yd of 80lb according to Okuma and a decent Blue/Black will dump that in the first run without thinking about it. Depends how much drag you're willing to push though.

TJ Arima

Ah.. thanks boon for the numbers on 50. I will make note on that. All these 50w reels have numbers for braid and 50# lines and no 80#. Maybe good reason to go braid. Thanks again.

Keta

For a trolling reel I would fill it almost to the top with 130# hollow or 80# solid  (80# and 100# hollow are too expensive) and top it off with 150'-200' of mono.

Lots of large YFT have been caught on 30's and standard width 50's.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TJ Arima

Quote from: Keta on January 09, 2017, 08:53:56 PM
For a trolling reel I would fill it almost to the top with 130# hollow or 80# solid  (80# and 100# hollow are too expensive) and top it off with 150'-200' of mono.

Lots of large YFT have been caught on 30's and standard width 50's.

Thank you sir. Good to know. Thinking of 100# hollow and 100# topshot. Do you have preference on Makaira or Avet? Just wondering. Thank you

Keta

Mark Twain

handi2

I own both Avets and Makaira's and they are very comparable.

My trolling reels are Shimano Tiagra's. My live bait reels are Avet's and Makaira's. Most people on the boat like the Makaira 20.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ScottOz

Tj,
    Pre use service and regular maintenance will see any of those reels last a very long time.Any brand can have a problem from time to time.Rinse off after every trip. I got a new Tyrnos 50 2speed last year and gave it a total strip down and re grease.Was a bit out of my depth as I am only used to Tld 20/25 single speeds.Hope you end up with a great reel for your needs.Scott