Daiwa Sealine 30H and SMF170

Started by Porthos, January 09, 2017, 06:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Was able to score a SMF170 off of the mega auction site last week, and received it this morning.

Did a quick look over of the reel and here are my initial findings after comparing to the 30H:

• Handle side plate and pinion are identical; you can do a direct swap from the 30H to the SMF170H;
  • Spool is DIFFERENT; the moving "half" of the mag control sits on the left side of the spool
  • Frame is DIFFERENT; the left side plate can be removed from the frame because of the mag mechanism.

Those of you who already have both these reels will probably know this.

I'm planning to swap the upgraded right side from my 30H over to the SMF170 as the quickest means to getting the latter into service since I don't need to have BOTH a 30H and SMF170 available at the same time for foreseeable future. For anyone looking to get a 30H but also would like the benefit of mag cast control, look for a SMF170 first if you don't want buy both a 30H AND a SMF170 (Darin...this doesn't apply to you... ;) )

I will post pics after I have a chance to do maintenance on the SMF170's frame, left side plate, and spool.

Rancanfish

I'm glad I changed my mind about bidding on that, lol.

I decided I wasn't using the one I already had so......
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

You would have paid  $1.00 and won the auction 'cause I am not in the habit of getting into bidding wars on that site.

Rancanfish

Oh no, no wars for me either.  But if more than one bids, it goes up, eh?

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on January 10, 2017, 03:44:01 AM
Oh no, no wars for me either.  But if more than one bids, it goes up, eh?

I meant $1 more than the minimum opening $20.00 bid so it would have been your $21 bid + shipping.

Porthos

Ok, here we go...

The handle side plates are the same:

Pulling the spools out shows the different left sides (30H on left, SMF170 on right). The steel cup of the mag system is obvious:

:

The 30H frame (left) still has clean Yamaha blue even after two years since last service. Can see the crud that needs to be cleaned off on the SMF170 frame:

Removing the screws of the SMF170 left side plate allows the three major parts to separate...the ring, mag control, and plate:

Under side of left plate; the mag control dial connects to the clicker and gear in a plastic tray that appears to be adhered to the side plate.

None of my gentle nudging would budge it. So, given the possibility that Daiwa may no longer stock this part, I left sleeping dogs lie and just generously lubed inside and around it.

Lubing up the dial well:

Rubber gasket goes in first:

...followed by the dial.

On the other side, the mag dial clicker goes in first...

...followed by the metal gear and e-clip.

Next a similar installation for the spool clicker:

...flip the plate for the clicker's inner washer. I also dropped the spool tension plate in the center of the plate:

Click claw and its e-clip:

Finish with click spring and screw.

The mag unit has six magnets sitting in an outer red plastic housing held in place with a retaining clip to an aluminum plate; it's this outer piece that the dial moves but the range of motion only displaces one magnet completely.

There is a small arc of teeth that connects to dial gear through the opening in the plate, so it's fairly simple to re-install.

Six opposing magnets sit in an inner red plastic housing that wouldn't budge with any gentle nudges so I left that as-is.:

I applied Yamaha blue to all surfaces and re-installed. This can be done by having one magnet completely displaced to the left--this corresponds to dial setting of "0." The other way is to have all the magnets in alignment--this corresponds to the dial setting of "10"; I did this. Would NOT recommend trying to install it somewhere in between 0 and 10.

Lubed up all the surfaces and put everything back in the reverse order I took them out.

The SMF170's spool's left side has a removable clicker gear and bearing.

When disassembled, the integrated bearing sleeve and spacer is apparent.

The bearing still felt smooth even though the seller had stated the reel had been in storage for at least 20 years. I decided to add drops of CorrosionX on both sides of the bearing and leave the shields in. Once the drops soaked in, I applied Yamaha blue to all surfaces and reassembled.

Dropping the spool back in:

Cleaned up and lubed up the spool's and frame's right side:

Since I'm fast tracking the SMF170 into service and not planning to use my 30H concurrently, I just added grease to the 30H's handle plate's thumbscrews:

...and Installed the 30H's handle side on to the SMF170 frame and spool. The original SMF170's handle side went on to the 30H's frame and spool; I will remove all the old mono and add a reel clamp later. The line from the 30H will be probably be transferred to the SMF170 though i might decide put on fresh white 50lb braid instead.

Spinning the spool at the "0" setting resulted in a longer time than the spin at "10"...so mission accomplished!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Beautiful job, detailed nicely with some great pics to boot. Thanks for sharing, we don't see enough of that lately.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Yes, this is awesome thanks!  I have two of the 170 version and one of the 250, so I appreciate you going deep here.

Edit: Just wanted to add, I have great respect for your hands on experience fishing & working with these reels.  I doubt I would ask anyone else if I had a question on what reels out of my collection of Daiwa's to take on any particular trip.

I don't know if you plan to use this reel casting live bait? But as soon as I read this I thought, 'He will now have direct comparative knowledge of both the Daiwa Magforce 170 and the Penn Magpower 970'.

I know which I would lean toward using, but very curious to hear your opinion if you care to comment. Thanks.

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on January 15, 2017, 02:26:09 AM
Yes, this is awesome thanks!  I have two of the 170 version and one of the 250, so I appreciate you going deep here.

Edit: Just wanted to add, I have great respect for your hands on experience fishing & working with these reels.  I doubt I would ask anyone else if I had a question on what reels out of my collection of Daiwa's to take on any particular trip.

I don't know if you plan to use this reel casting live bait? But as soon as I read this I thought, 'He will now have direct comparative knowledge of both the Daiwa Magforce 170 and the Penn Magpower 970'.

I know which I would lean toward using, but very curious to hear your opinion if you care to comment. Thanks.

Just now saw your edit and the answer is "Yes," I will be casting live bait with the SMF170H though the earliest I will do this may be a few more months away.

Porthos

All right, Randy...I casted the 170H with "average" sized sardines at Guadalupe and smacked into the realization that the mag control is engaged even at the setting of "0" based on how the 170H's magnets are housed. Those sardines didn't get very far with "normal" casting...releasing the right thumb from the spool when the rod tip reaches the launch point; had to pull and hold line off the spool between the first guide and reel with my left hand and then release that slack instead during the rod swing. From previous casting with the 970, those same sardines would have gotten further when the 970 magnet is set at its farthest position from the spool.

Did better when lobbing salami sized macs...though, again, the 970 would have resulted in greater distances.

Rancanfish

Great, thanks Wai.  I knew you would be the ultimate beta tester.

I find it kind of disappointing, me being a Daiwa fan boy and all, lol.

Maybe there's a work-around to be found?

Anyway, off to work before the heat gets too brutal.

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 19, 2017, 01:50:06 PM
Great, thanks Wai.  I knew you would be the ultimate beta tester.

I find it kind of disappointing, me being a Daiwa fan boy and all, lol.

Maybe there's a work-around to be found?

Anyway, off to work before the heat gets too brutal.

I believe a pseudo-solution "might" exist. Each housing has 12 magnet wells and 6 magnets each. Remove magnets and place in alternating wells. "0" corresponds to all magnets facing an empty well. Dialing to "10" means that all magnets are facing an opposing magnet. I can only wonder if this config was described in the original factory paperwork that came with these reels...

The only issue is that all the magnets remain the same distance to the wall of the metal cup on the spool. The magnetic field intensity will only diminish if the magnets are radially moved away from the cup wall. This may be the flaw that limited the proliferation of the design to the SMF 170H and 250H.

Rancanfish

Please don't say 'flaw' and Daiwa in the same breath.   ;D ;D

I'll have to get it out and go play with it in the field at the nearby elementary school.  I think that maybe it will cast a 4 ounce weight better than a bait.

I think I'd be willing to experiment with the 250, but I really like the 170's too much. 
I no sooner wrote that last sentence and remembered that I have a rough 170 that I bought as a back up. I may poke around and see what I can of your magnet set up description.

Won't be today though, I'm in 'honey do' prison today. My daughters birthday party is tonite and I'm the solo clean up crew.

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 24, 2017, 01:39:22 PM
Please don't say 'flaw' and Daiwa in the same breath.   ;D ;D

Sorry I insulted your inventory of Mag Seals...