Change color of Hypalon Aftco Reel Seat/Pole Butt. Done!

Started by otghoyt, January 11, 2017, 12:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

Yepper bruddah.  That butt ugly pole was screaming do not buy me, so I bought it.  I think the guy that had it made wanted it to be easily identifiable in the rack surrounded by all the pretty ones?  I dunno.  Like another member said...the hardware cost more than I paid for the whole thing.  

In my travels I found some nice things to cover blue Hypalon with.  Seems anything over a couple feet long is double and triple the price per foot than a one foot piece.  Here's a few more links.....

http://www.therodroom.com/shop/pc/X-FLOCK-SHRINK-TUBING-p1531.htm

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Heat-Shrink-Tubing/Rubber-Shrink-Tubing

There is some double wall industrial shrink tubing that has glue on the inside for extra heavy duty usage. It is available in black and red and it looks very much like a garden hose.

Here's a few pics of the magic marker version  If it wears off I can do the shrink tubing version to fix it up but so far I am out 2.56 bucks.

oc1

otghoyt

You need to mash it down into the cells to get a nice even tone.  I wore out 2 of those magnum sharpies and I need one more to get it right.  I tried a red band....it was mostly black looking so that was a no go.  It does look a lot better and I think it'll hold up under use.  l'll finish it up and get some pics for y'all.

H

Bill B

Photo of the Month material....made me spew beer brother.....really cool beans

http://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20339.0;attach=29536;image
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

otghoyt

Awww.  You jus funnin me.  Beer spraying in the atmosphere is the real pic of the month.  Oh no...it's etched in my memory and I can't get it out.

The Great Maudu

I would use black flocking from Mud Hole to change the color of the grips. It's easy to apply and actually improves the grip. You can't change the color of the wraps but you can add a different color epoxy over top the wraps. Again, Mud Hole Tackle sells epoxy die that you mix up and apply.

otghoyt

Been rainin cats 'n dogs here in SoCal.  Messes with my arthritis something fierce.  I have been feeling like a sub-human species for a week now.  OK back to the game at hand...I used Sharpie magnum on the lower part and leather dye on the top part.

After drying a few days, I took it to the harbor and gave it a salt water soak.  I worked it over with a plastic bristle scrubber and the results were not to my liking.  As most of you have suggested I have the black X-flocked shrink tubing on the way.  

Pole building suppliers want a kings ransom for 1 1/2 in. dia. material, IF they even have it.  40mm X 1m tubing is coming from an industrial supplier as well as some double wall, glued, waterproof electrical shrink material (Tuff Butt) for the lower portion.  I may have to sand the Hypalon because with the double wall material it may not even fit in a pole holder.  We shall see.

Who can give me a common size, diameter measurement of a boat rod holder?  

~H

thorhammer

2". you should be ok. works on the ones I've done, and you are correct, regular industrial stuff much cheaper. where are you in SoCal?

The Great Maudu

The flocking kit I'm talking about is not shrink tubing. It is actual flocking fibers you apply over a bonding agent applied to the hypalon. Shrink will look like crap. True flocking will look custom. Kits run about $40 and you could do 5 handles. Comes in many colors.

The Great Maudu

Here's a pic of the handle and foregrip of and old bamboo boat that I applied flocking to. It was the typical looking brown wood common to these types of rods. You just paint the surface to be flocked with the special glue then you dust the fibers on. It's permanent and won't lose its color. Trust me it's the best way to go for what you want to do.

thorhammer

Mike, where do you get that kit? I saw that in your thread and it got my attention.

The Great Maudu

Here's a link: http://www.flockit.com/index.php/products/suede-tex/mini-flocker-kits.html
Only buy the nylon fibers for fishing applications. Easy to apply and looks amazing.

otghoyt

Well there it is!  The genius I was looking for before I spent my money.  Where u been mon?  Unfortunately, I am going to have to do this process next winter as I have my finances committed to another procedure.  Drat!  My rod deserves this procedure and not the band-aid I'm throwing at it. 

I gave that site the once over and I do not see a "Kit" anywhere.  H~in Vista, CA.

The Great Maudu

Here's the link: http://www.flockit.com/index.php/products/suede-tex/mini-flocker-kits.html
Make sure you buy NYLON fibers. Good luck and we want to see the finished product.

STRIPER LOU

Hoyt, there's a few guys that sell shrink wrap on ebay and its fairly reasonable. The stuff will the glue inside is killer durable. It was originally made for the cable TV guys to cover connectors and splices.

I've used it on connectors from back in my radio days and it really seals. We used it on direct burial cable and no leaks over a 10 yr span. Does not remove easily! I believe made by 3M.

...................Lou