Penn International Torque 200

Started by TheReelShop, January 11, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

What up guys, I just finished servicing this reel. Everything works as should. The only thing is that I can hear the gears turning when I turn the reel. Its not rough to the touch, but its not its not silent at all (meaning I don't only hear the dogs/springs). I greased it extra, nothing, I removed grease to have a little bit and same thing. I adjusted the screw on the left side plate as well and nada.

Are they supposed to be quiet? excluding the sound of the clicking dogs?

Thanks

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

it's too clean that's why you are hearing these sounds you wrote... ;D :D ;) :)

seriously tho it's normal, SS make more "noise" compared to brass...

tight lines!

handi2

All the Torque reels I have done are pretty quiet. Try taking the right side off and rotate the main gear 1/4 turn while keeping the pinion gear in the same position. It could be gear wear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TheReelShop

Quote from: Potiguar - AKA MeL B on January 11, 2017, 03:24:53 PM
it's too clean that's why you are hearing these sounds you wrote... ;D :D ;) :)

seriously tho it's normal, SS make more "noise" compared to brass...

tight lines!

Hahaha I wish!!
Quote from: handi2 on January 11, 2017, 04:53:11 PM
All the Torque reels I have done are pretty quiet. Try taking the right side off and rotate the main gear 1/4 turn while keeping the pinion gear in the same position. It could be gear wear.

I was able to replicate the sound with the plate off.

here is a video

http://vid261.photobucket.com/albums/ii56/red93crxhatch/Fishing%20Reels/1F7251D4-505C-4F55-AF73-46017BD719FC_zpss5l7kw1u.mp4

TheReelShop

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i hear the dogs clicking. is it the thumping noise? does the shaft with the handle installed move sideways?

TheReelShop

Quote from: Potiguar - AKA MeL B on January 11, 2017, 08:32:20 PM
i hear the dogs clicking. is it the thumping noise? does the shaft with the handle installed move sideways?

Its the winding sound (sounds funky to me) aside from the clicking dogs. The thump occurs I believe when I loosen all the way the left side flat head that you see in the video.

TheReelShop

I removed the whole gearing and was able to spin the spool and it makes an uncommon hissing noise. Im thinking the spool bearing might be bad. I truly hope this solves it. When in freespool, the pinion and main turn but do not grab on to the spool, and in that setting the reel sounds normal. Lets see.

FatTuna

TheReelShop

Quote from: FatTuna on January 12, 2017, 03:37:52 AM
Sounds like gear wear to me.

Dang it. Thats number two. Let me see what the deal is. Thanks

TheReelShop

I received the new main and pinion, and sure enough its a lot smoother and much more quiet. Thanks guys for your help.