Another Reason to Love Quality Vintage Reels -- Like Quick, Mitchell, Penn, etc.

Started by foakes, January 11, 2017, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I have seen books that are simply a grouping and some organizing and editing of internet posts.  This could be done with much of the information contained on the site. 

Though this is not exactly what I had in mind.  I was thinking more along the lines of 'a history of..' or how to date DAM reels. 

This would probably be a pretty big project, and the market might be limited.  It wouod certainly fill a gap in the literature though. 

BTW, that reel there looks to have come along nicely.

;)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

The Post book's a great idea. I'd buy that!
Sorry, but back to the original subject. Even the very few plastic parts(what? 2 -maybe, the handle and drag knobs) look tuff on this Quick. Love ta get somea the modern reels with all them cool high tech systems made odda about 98% metal. Don't care about the extra weight! Abu's got some nifty engineering, but too much plastic for me IM NS HO (NS="not so").

I PM'ed Fred recently 'bout another Abu Zebco Cardinal bail spring(has one on either side). Most a this reel's well built, some systems 'er over-built, but come-on, plastic bail attachments(noun?, the thing coverin the springs)? A plastic drag knob on the bottom outside corner? Wrecks it a little bit for me. My Dad fabricated alota his own stuff,  all overbuilt, even the room he added on to our house. I had fun showin it to perspective buyers after he passed.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gfish on January 14, 2017, 02:52:21 AM
The Post book's a great idea. I'd buy that!
Sorry, but back to the original subject. Even the very few plastic parts(what? 2 -maybe, the handle and drag knobs) look tuff on this Quick. Love ta get somea the modern reels with all them cool high tech systems made odda about 98% metal. Don't care about the extra weight! Abu's got some nifty engineering, but too much plastic for me IM NS HO (NS="not so").

I PM'ed Fred recently 'bout another Abu Zebco Cardinal bail spring(has one on either side). Most a this reel's well built, some systems 'er over-built, but come-on, plastic bail attachments(noun?, the thing coverin the springs)? A plastic drag knob on the bottom outside corner? Wrecks it a little bit for me. My Dad fabricated alota his own stuff,  all overbuilt, even the room he added on to our house. I had fun showin it to perspective buyers after he passed.
Gfish

You make some good points about the Cardinal.  The plastic parts do cheapen it, but the mechanical design itself is a thing of beauty.  The plastics were prized in the late 60s-70s, and the idea of making these reels lighter was just starting to take hold.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.