felt oil washers in old Squidder bearing cups

Started by dgz3, January 13, 2017, 01:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Nice reel, definitely label and store the original parts.

theswimmer

Welcome DG,
I opened an old squider that was my Grandpas , I know it has never had the side plate off, no felt washers to be seen.....
Best
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

oc1

For my post-war Squidder I made a surf ord.  Two piece, 10'6".  Calcutta cane blank with bamboo handle.  Wrappings flax linen thread and cotton twine stabilized with homemade copal spirit varnish and finished with homemade Kusmi shellac.  Homemade stainless wire guides (pre-war the guides would have been monel or bronze).  Bamboo butt cap with adjustable lead counter weights.  Loaded with new 27# nylon squidding line (pre-war would have been linen until about 1942 and nylon thereafter).  Stress tested but not yet casted

The trouble is, I have other surf rods and haven't done any surf casting in ages.  But, I can't stop making rustic, folk art style whole cane rods for old reels.  They are beginning to pile up now.  They are time consuming to make yet have no value.  My family is scratching their heads and starting to whisper.  I need an intervention.
-steve

steelfish

Awesome Bamboo cane Rod Steve.
Really looks vintage and perfect for the squidder.

Another thing that I loved in your pics its the vegatation in the background
The Baja Guy

dgz3

WOW nice piece of work! Your rods will no doubt be worth thousands one day. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to die before your artistry is appreciated! Amazing attention to detail. Making your own glues and finishes is impressive. Maybe next you could try spinning and braiding your own line???? ;D
Intervention?, Nahhhh. There are lots worse things you could be doing with your time... golf, for instance.

oc1

Thanks.  There are a couple more listed on our web site:
http://www.raingarden.us/rodnreel/listings/listings.html
I removed the prices so it would not be construed as a solicitation here.  The prices were very high too to allay the family rumor that the old man is flipping out.  Don't know how long that will work though.
-steve

mizmo67

Always learning something new about the older designs!
Never saw those felt washers here, either.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on January 17, 2017, 07:42:46 AM
I removed the prices so it would not be construed as a solicitation here. 
-steve
Steve, you are allowed to sell stuff here. You aren't allowed to call attention to eBay listings that might start bidding wars between members.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

Thanks Sid.  I don't really need to sell them. I just need to pretend it's burgeoning business so she-who-rules-the-roost doesn't give me grief about goofing off.
-steve

Decker

Steve, I really like the rods on the raingarden site!   There must be a market for them somewhere.   Have you tried Etsy?   My general impression is that that site sells a lot of custom or hand-made, quirky goods.  I could picture those in a seaside bungalow.   They could be decorative and functional too.   Would really add to a vacation ambience!   I encourage you to keep making them.   /Joe

Donnyboat

I have come across, the felt washers in Pflueger Akron & Nobby, also serviced a Lawrence reel today, with them in the bearing cup, the little Lawrence reel had the same internals as the Penn Senators Have, nice reel, it has CF washer now, but the foot is not very roebust for to much Drag, I think there were only 2 or 3 models produced, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Quote from: Decker on June 14, 2017, 01:44:38 PM
Steve, I really like the rods on the raingarden site!   There must be a market for them somewhere.   Have you tried Etsy?   My general impression is that that site sells a lot of custom or hand-made, quirky goods.  I could picture those in a seaside bungalow.   They could be decorative and functional too.   Would really add to a vacation ambience!   I encourage you to keep making them.   /Joe

X2, I don't think your product prices are too high, given the work/art that seems to have gone into them. I've been in a number of resort area rentals and vacation homes on the islands and your antiques'ed be perfect for deck and livingroom ambience.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on June 14, 2017, 04:01:00 PM
Quote from: Decker on June 14, 2017, 01:44:38 PM
Steve, I really like the rods on the raingarden site!   There must be a market for them somewhere.   Have you tried Etsy?   My general impression is that that site sells a lot of custom or hand-made, quirky goods.  I could picture those in a seaside bungalow.   They could be decorative and functional too.   Would really add to a vacation ambience!   I encourage you to keep making them.   /Joe

X2, I don't think your product prices are too high, given the work/art that seems to have gone into them. I've been in a number of resort area rentals and vacation homes on the islands and your antiques'ed be perfect for deck and livingroom ambience.
Gfish
Steve, I realize that you built these to fish, and it might be tough to swallow them as decoration but I think there is an in for you that way. Maybe you could even offer some to consign some to a resort or B&B.

oc1

Thanks guys.  I have never been able to sell the first one and quit trying.  The self-imposed constraint is to use only nineteenth century materials and no decorative elements.  Personally, I like the primitive look.

You gave me a great idea Decker.  I've run out of room in the shed and the pile of bamboo and old reels in the corner keeps growing.  But, we have a couple of rustic beach B&B's so I'm going to start using them as decoration and store them there.
-steve