Bail wire/ mitchell 400

Started by Kozmo77, January 13, 2017, 04:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kozmo77

Ebay find has me stumped.  Reel functions after cleanup- was sent with bail wire loose and no hardware to install. No problem.... have some from 300s. With bail wire mounted, no movement to cast is possible. Analyse rotater... very different from 300- primary mounting boss has 4 notches in center of screw pillar. 300s (that I have) only one. Bail wire has tapered pin that conflicts with motion. Do I have a 300 wire that came with reel that is incorrect? Will I need a different wire without the pin? Can't get a schemetic on the site I use for part #s. No not the Mitchell Museum site. Just thought --no-- I know that you guys have the answer. Really appreciate all the wisdom and good vibes. Best to all WC :o :o

foakes

Hi Walter --

There are a couple of variations on Mitchell 400 Bail wires, and rotor socket spring mounts.

And you are correct -- they are not the same as the much more common 300 bail wire assembly.

Here are a couple of schematics.

Determine what you need -- post some pics -- and I should be able to send you everything necessary.

And to follow up on our conversation on the Mitchell 306 parts your local Post Office lost in 5 minutes from the time it shows delivered to your PO Box -- my local PO said that since it shows delivered on their computer scan with a date and time, at your local Post Office -- they cannot and will not investigate further -- it has to happen on your local Post Office's end.

Since we are stuck between beauracracies -- best to just send you additional parts.  It is no problem for me -- and neither one of us has the time or patience for all this may take to unravel.  

Neuman must be involved somehow, I think!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Glad to help out on this -- and there will be N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Kozmo77

;D ;D Thanks Fred! Knew you would flag that post. After posting, went on Ebay and scoped a number ofoffers and saw a vendor w/ a # of bails and great pics. Some bails had bald inner faces and figured a simple pin removal would work- it did. Now the little bugger is giving me some A/R trouble. That is a pretty lame system- wimpy spring and nylon or plastic lever prone to move and fail. Will keep at it til it works. Fred don't worry about the parts re 306- I scored 2 complete reels awhile back. Both have somewhat loose bushings and I just want a couple of 81590s and 81404s. May never really need them but if I do they are not everywhere. If you have a bail spring for a Daiwa GS-13 and would include that, much obliged. I am just perverse about reels- I would rather have a crusty old -timer that needs a ton of work than a new flawlessly smooth reel that is near perfect. Just sayin'. All the best to the Ohana WC