Mitchell 308 Drag

Started by CH, January 13, 2017, 05:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CH

Hi all,
I'm about to strip, clean & re-lube my vintage 308.
I'm looking for advice on best way to upgrade the drag.
Or best way to set up stock drag for smoothest operation.
Thanks
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

foakes

Just drop in a Penn 6-155 greased lightly with Cal's.

100% upgrade -- 2 minute job -- perfect fit.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on January 13, 2017, 06:49:40 PM

Best,

Fred
Yeah...two minutes for you.  It takes me more than 2 minutes to find my screwdriver.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Dominick on January 13, 2017, 06:53:41 PM

Best,

Fred
Yeah...two minutes for you.  It takes me more than 2 minutes to find my screwdriver.   ;D Dominick

Heck, you're lucky, Dominick! It takes me 10 minutes crawling around on the floor looking for the parts I just dropped & anther 5 minutes tying to get back up to my chair. :D  My wife says I have a Master's Degree in making a 5 minute job last an hour or two.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on January 13, 2017, 06:53:41 PM

Yeah...two minutes for you.  It takes me more than 2 minutes to find my screwdriver.   ;D Dominick

Right, Counselor --

However, a Mitchell 308 drag just comes off with your thumb and finger -- no screwdriver required!

;)  ;)  :)

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CH

Best,

Fred

Thank you Fred.
I love easy.
Where is the best place to get the Penn 6-155? ( after market CF disc I presume)

I've cracked open more reels since I found this forum than I've done in the last 30 years, lol.
But it's all good! :)

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

foakes

Sorry, Chris --

Forgot to mention that I would be glad to send you a couple -- N/C.

Do you have Cal's drag grease?

If not, you should get some -- but in the meantime, I could lightly grease one of the drags that I send you, stick it in a small plastic bag -- and send it along?  Then you could try one wet, one dry -- and see what you think.

I have your address in Ohio.

My grandmother (Dad's Mom) was born on Wellington, Ohio, Lorain County -- a little Southwest of Cleveland -- in 1883.  Passed on in 1968.  Came out West, as a little girl of about 5 -- all of the family belongings were trucked in a covered wagon -- and the kids walked much of the way.

Worked hard, raised 6 boys by herself after her husband passed on unexpectedly in 1936, during the Depression.  No nonsense -- God respecting people.

Grandma Lena's favorite saying was: "That fellow is so tight -- he could squeeze a nickel, and make the Indian ride the Buffalo!".

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

CH

Quote from: foakes on January 13, 2017, 11:11:36 PM
Sorry, Chris --

Forgot to mention that I would be glad to send you a couple -- N/C.

Do you have Cal's drag grease?

If not, you should get some -- but in the meantime, I could lightly grease one of the drags that I send you, stick it in a small plastic bag -- and send it along?  Then you could try one wet, one dry -- and see what you think.

I have your address in Ohio.

My grandmother (Dad's Mom) was born on Wellington, Ohio, Lorain County -- a little Southwest of Cleveland -- in 1883.  Passed on in 1968.  Came out West, as a little girl of about 5 -- all of the family belongings were trucked in a covered wagon -- and the kids walked much of the way.

Worked hard, raised 6 boys by herself after her husband passed on unexpectedly in 1936, during the Depression.  No nonsense -- God respecting people.

Grandma Lena's favorite saying was: "That fellow is so tight -- he could squeeze a nickel, and make the Indian ride the Buffalo!".

Best,

Fred

Yes, if you do not mind, a couple drag washers would be great.

I actually ordered some of the purple Cal's drag grease and a tub of Penn reel grease earlier today off Amazon.

I know exactly where Wellington is. One of my best friends is from there.

Most folks today have no clue what hard times is. I heard many stories about the depression from people who lived through it. Changed a lot of folks for life. Made them a penny pincher for life (or a nickel squeezer). Hopefully we do not see a repeat.

THANK YOU FRED!
:)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

foakes

--------

Fred O.

CH

Quote from: foakes on January 14, 2017, 01:42:25 AM
Will do, Chris --

Best,

Fred

Hopefully you are not buried in the big sierra snowstorm I'm seeing on TV.

Great news for the drought you folks out that way have been suffering through though.

Cheers
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted