Here today, Gone to Maui - I wish!

Started by Bryan Young, January 14, 2017, 06:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 15, 2017, 05:27:35 AM
Not ready Mike. I'll be going to Costco right after breakfast to buy some east coast warm clothes because west coast Cali warm clothes is not warm enough for this thin blooded Hawaiian boy.

I carry a Insulated Sweatshirt in my truck.

I am going to call you tomorrow.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Okay, this is my plan at the moment.

On Saturday, I will travel to the World Trade Center Memorial to pay my respects to the greatest lost of foreign terrorism on US soil.  I remember the day it happened like it was yesterday.  Then I hope to meet my friend Jen for lunch.  She is a professor at Hunter College.  It's been maybe 20 years since I last saw her.  I may walk around a bit, not knowing where because I'm not much of a touristy type of person, so after that, I hope Broadway Dom will be free to a snack and come espressor or late... then maybe back to Brooklyn.

On Sunday, I would like to meet Striper Lou in CT for Lunch if the offer still stands and weather permitting.  Striper Lou has graciously invited me and a few others for lunch that may want too take a ride with me to CT.  I believe it's about 1.5 hours from JFK if my memory serves me.  If you cannot make it for lunch, I would love to meet up with everyone for breakfast or dinner on Sunday night. 

Mike (Bluefish69), I arrive at 5:30 am on Tuesday morning.  I will get a rental car and will look for a breakfast place to eat somewhere.  Nana's Breakfast Nook at 161-09 Cross Bay Blvd., Howard Beach, NY 11414 sounds close and interesting but looks expensive.  Maybe Ozark Park or South Ozark Park...I don't want to venture too far away from my next destination, Costco  ;D for the 11:00 shopping experience.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

The Airport is in the middle of Nana's & Costco. Instead of Nana's go to the Dinner on Cross Bay Blvd. between 160 Ave & 161 Ave that is where we go. Costco is on the East side of JFK. on Rockaway Blvd.

Bryan Young

Wow, I cannot believe a week has gone by.   It has been a very busy week and I'm completely exhausted even for this next chapter of this trip here in St. Louis.

Upon my arrival at JFK at 5:30 am, I went to pick up my rental car.  My car wasn't ready so I had to stand in line and it took literally 30 minutes for me to get my rental car since the poor lady was by herself.  I got my rental car then went to a Diner near Lou's place to have breakfast.  Wow, half the plate was my lox and onion omelet.  The other half was a whole slab of hashbrowns.  I had taken some pictures in the airport ("Welcome to New York") and of my food and who knows where it went.  After being stuffed, I drove to Costco and unfortunately it was still closed so I drove to the nearest Starbucks to have a my green tea latte.  I discovered that my rental car remote battery was deader than dead so I wet to buy a replacement battery then off I went to Costco to buy warm cloths.  Low and behold, the same clothes that was available in California.   :(  Well, I bought some anyway because I needed warm clothes and they were no longer available in California.  It was pouring rain, but I made it to Mike's place.  Jan joined us then we headed to Sheephead Bay, Brooklyn were we met up with Steve (EC Newellman from FishingUnited.com).  I cannot recall the place we ate, but it was delicious.  I had their signature Crab Bisque and calamari.  If we were not constrained by time, we could have talked forever.  The conversation was so engaging that I completely forgot to take pictures of us and the food.  Failed #1 for Bryan.  After lunch, we went back to Mike's to pick up my car and I needed to head to the airport to pick up my co-worker to head to Melville.

Melville was a blur... A week of training and business meetings, it seemed to have passed way too fast.  I'm glad that I had a break so I stayed in Downtown Brooklyn.  I was lucky because the rain was on and off.  The fog was low so I was able to get a beautiful picture of Manhattan.  In contrast with photos of the next day.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

On Saturday, I had planned to visit the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and visit World Trade Center Memorial and the Museum of Natural History.  I did walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.  In doing so, I was thinking what the heck.  I'm afraid of heights and the walking path are wood slats.  Yeah, this did not help.  But I eventually made it across.  I continued to walk to the World Trade Center Memorial.  On my way there, at a certain point, I had a feeling that there were many lost souls lingering around there.  I'm not sure about any of you that may have visited there have felt this but I just needed to sit in peace while there until that feeling lifted.  I just couldn't make it into the museum...my heart was just sunk that I was just walking around.  Feeling hungry, and as I discovered I was walking towards China Town so I ate at one of those fresh noodle restaurants.  It was yummy and felt like eating comfort food.  Being almost half way to Dom's home, I contacted Dom to see if I could visit and drop off a little something for his family.  Upon arrival, I felt like family.  Warm.  It was very comforting especially with the lingering feeling from the WTC memorial. 

Dom's amazing collection is quite impressive for this kid...  I haven't see such a collection before.  I cannot seem to find the photo on my phone but I'll add it when I find it.  And the surprise, I discovered that Dom's Mother-In-Law is someone that I have worked with for the past 7 or so years.  Just about the time when I started to communicate with Dom via our reel website.  This world is way too small, and what's with the 6th degree of separation???  It's more like 1 degree of separation.  I'm still in shock...a joyful shock.

Bryan Young

And my last day in New York spent driving to Connecticut to visit our one and only Striper Lou.  He is a striper pro if I would have ever met one in my life.  His shop, skills, and knowledge is second to none.  I picked up my daughter's handles and packed them away.  I also picked up Dominick's red handle but was warned to put it back.  Darn, my son would have loved that red handle.  ;)  I was fed such a wonderful meal as you may have read.  Yes, I had seconds.  And it was so good, it didn't need to be warmed up.  I had to take off at 3:00 but ended up leaving at 3:30 and I finally remembered to take a picture of Lou and I.  :)

Bryan Young

and I ended my trip at Mike's home.  This guy is crazy with all of his Newells.  I was fortunate as I was given a P447 with a broken spool and sideplate.  Thanks to Mike, not I only need a side plate...and I'm working on an aluminum one now.  ;)

Another wonderful meal.  I have never ever had short-ribs with pasta.  Delicious  Unfortunately, I could only eat one serving.  It was so yummy.  and the night ended up with deserts from Ragtime.

Now I'm in St. Louis...and boy am I tired.  Good night folks.

Dominick

Bryan, did you show Mike how to post photos?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Dominick on January 24, 2017, 05:23:33 AM
Oh, no. He didn't ask. Lol

STRIPER LOU

Wow Bry, that was a whirlwind week and I certainly understand why your exhausted! Gracie and I enjoyed meeting with you and the conversation was endless.

As for the weather, you got out of here just in time. The wind started yesterday and then came the ice and freezing rain.

When we got up this AM and checked the news, there had been numerous accidents with jackknifed trailers and cars due to very icy conditions on the interstate.

Travel safely, stay well, and all the best from Gracie and I, .........  Lou

thorhammer

Wow, what a nice trip Bry! Dom has some very introspective stories about 9-11, and what a super guy. I wish I could've been up there and joined you; as it happens I'm in your neck of the woods and meeting Bill (Tarfu) this evening.

Wait until Dwight sees those Newells..tho he probably has already!

coastal_dan

What a few days! Fine friends, fine food and fine conversation - a recipe to happiness!  Awesome that we all make this effort to meet one another..not to sound like a broken record but, there is no place like AT.com.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bluefish69

Quote from: Dominick on January 24, 2017, 05:23:33 AM

I forgot to ask but I have Windows 10

Bryan Young

I did a little bit of food damage in St Louis.

STRIPER LOU

Looks really great Bry. I think I could do that for breakfast!
......  Lou