Screwdrivers - what size and where do you purchase them.

Started by lpquick, April 17, 2011, 07:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lpquick

I am having difficulty locating philip type screw drivers to fit my Shimano low profile and round baitcasting reels. Seems all of mine are to pointed and I end up trying to use larger sizes to keep from stripping the original screws. There's one screw by the line guide on my Calais 201A which must be accessed thru a tiny port in the side plate and I can't find a screwdriver that has a thin enough shaft diameter, which is also long enough to reach the screw. Alan are these screw a size 1# or 2# philips or a special type of cross tipped type driver. I love the forum and wish to thank you and all the readers in advance for your support. :(

Norcal Pescador

For Philips screwdrivers, I haven't found any that I prefer over the Sears Craftsman line. They just seem to fit the screws the best, especially the number 2. My two cents.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

lpquick

Thanks Norcal I just ordered 3 craftsman philip type screwdrivers
#0 X 3
#1 X 6
#2 X 8
I am also considering purchasing Alan's bearing greaser, I just sent an email.

Squirmypug

Craftsman tools are great, if you don't have a set of tools you may want to buy a mechanics tool set.They have all kinds of tools in the set and are on sale often.Also if you don't need all the wrenches and sockets they have screwdriver sets that come with almost all you will need(also often on sale). 8)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Nessie Hunter

Craftsman !!!   

On the Calais & most other small/med Low Pro & round reels...   
I use a straight slot driver to break them loose & torque down. 
Most reels have the double slots for Straight & Philips head drivers...

Have the same issue with Philips slipping/stripping (even the Craftsman) so the Straight slot driver works better for torque for me.....

I was at a club thing one time doing some reel work for the guys. 
An Auto Mechanic buddy walked over, looked at my mix matched old drivers and said:   
Man your in desperate need of some quality updated screw drivers!! 
Didnt realize it till I heard him say that, now I feel OLD!!!    LMAO

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lpquick

Am I crazy or what. Why in the world would Shimano have these screws made which do not fit any phillips screw drivers you and I can purchase. I must assume only Shimano makes the screwdrivers to fit their screws properly so as not to strip. Of course they don't market or sell the tools to work on them. Maybe I am over thinking this, are the JDM phillip head screw drivers made to fit? Any one with any insight? ???

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: lpquick on April 19, 2011, 04:16:20 AM
Am I crazy or what. Why in the world would Shimano have these screws made which do not fit any phillips screw drivers you and I can purchase. I must assume only Shimano makes the screwdrivers to fit their screws properly so as not to strip. Of course they don't market or sell the tools to work on them. Maybe I am over thinking this, are the JDM phillip head screw drivers made to fit? Any one with any insight? ???

They wouldn't be the first manufacturer to use non-standard hardware. >:(   Nothing like being proprietary about your stuff! :-\  Anyway, I have found a few screws that quality, standard-sized screwdrivers don't work well on. Like Nessie Hunter suggests, if you have dual-head screws and a flat bladed screwdriver fits better, that may be the way to go. When I need a precision fit for slotted screws I use my gunsmithing screwdrivers to break 'em loose and final tightening. Always make sure the tool is lined up with the head for the best bite.
Hope some of this helps.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

I stopped using Phillips bits/screwdrivers on my reels years ago. I find Pozidriv get a better grip with less slipping. Pozidriv No 1 fits most "Phillips" type screws on small/medium size reels.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 19, 2011, 09:07:37 AM
I stopped using Phillips bits/screwdrivers on my reels years ago. I find Pozidriv get a better grip with less slipping. Pozidriv No 1 fits most "Phillips" type screws on small/medium size reels.

Good one! Thanks Irish Jigger! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

lpquick

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 19, 2011, 09:07:37 AM

Thanks Irish Jigger going to order a #1 Pozidriv and a #1 Supadriv to test out.
I'll post again after my little test. I am learning something new everyday.  :o

alantani

i usually think of pozidrive heads and snow skis.  used to work on skis a little in this ski club i was in.  that's how i met my wife.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

A company called micro- tools carries a pretty good selection of small hand tool also. They are geared to the camera repair field. You may be able to search them out.
luck is the residue of design.

Roger

I started using these years ago on reels. They're actually for firearms but they work great on reels. You get hollowground flatheads, an assortment of phillips and trorx heads.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41571/Handle_1079=84+Hollow/Product/MAGNA_TIP_reg__SCREWDRIVER_SETS#skugrid
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Pro Reel

You just can't beat the quality of a set of wiha screwdrivers. I mostly work on freshawter reels and a lot of those use smaller screws or use small access holes. My wiha set is the only ones that fit the shimano reels.
http://www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm

Nessie Hunter

So much more then screwdrivers, I need a Shaft Pin remover tool!!!
Im sure many of you have had issues with these darn, dreaded, hated Shaft pins also.
There are apparently a few on the market, very hard to come by anything with a little quality or good reviews....

I ran across the Link below (actually sent to me by a customer) Man I wanted them instantly.
Have a buddy who's wife returns home to Japan yrly, and he was looking into them for me, maybe have his Bro In Law order and ship to U S???  
Then Japan fell into the sea!!!   ?
Kind of gave up on it, But still need them or similar tool Badly!!!

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b120286629#enlargeimg

Think this link still works..  Need translator.  The online translators work, till you get past signing in to account..
Then I cant talk to seller!!!
Then the Quake & Tsunami & sort of gave up!!!

Any of you know of any tools like this that actually work ?
Or can get to the seller here.   Says he doesnt ship internationally, but I can (Maybe) get a local Address with forwarding to U S (Buddies Bro-in-law in Japan).....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!