Discovered a new type of bearing in my reel

Started by ReelFishingProblems, January 15, 2017, 04:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hey all, was working on a reel and found an innovative product! A bearing that's outer sleeve is split to expand when it is in place! :D

Just kidding obviously,

Time for new bearings
Nick

foakes

Looking forward to some opinions on how that might have split?

I have never seen that, as of yet, when working on reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Looks to me like it just broke. I would assume that split goes all the way through the outer race. Was it all the bearings or just this one?
-Mike

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ReelFishingProblems

The crack goes all the way through, it's from a seriously corroded international  30TW. The other bearings feel a little stiff but no damage. This was the only cracked one

thorhammer

That'll wait. Get in the yak and get us snow bunnies some fish pics dude!

Tightlines667

I have seen this before.  Pretty sure it was in an older international as well. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: thorhammer on January 15, 2017, 07:37:47 PM
That'll wait. Get in the yak and get us snow bunnies some fish pics dude!

I don't have the kayak yet, waiting and watching for the right deal down here. But I have gone fishing four times so far and heading out again Tuesday.