Possible tool and Product

Started by foakes, January 16, 2017, 04:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Not a bad price and it looks good for small jobs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

STRIPER LOU

Looks good Fred! Excellent price too. Would have to go to Goodwill and pick up a large toaster oven. Gracie would not be happy if I tried to bake parts in her kitchen range!!! ;D  ;D

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 16, 2017, 04:54:20 PM
Looks good Fred! Excellent price too. Would have to go to Goodwill and pick up a large toaster oven. Gracie would not be happy if I tried to bake parts in her kitchen range!!! ;D  ;D

That said, another thing comes to mind. Ventilation. In a shop like yours Lou and mine were it is in the house, it wouldn't be piratical. But for a detached building (Shop) that sounds like a good low cost small jobber tool. You would have to have an air compressor and oven of some sort.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

jurelometer

Hi Fred,

Add a sand blasting booth to prep parts, a painting booth (powder gets everywhere), and an oven (ventilated),  and you are good to go.   Powder can be purchased for 10 -20$ a lb, and is good for a year, usually more- just have to keep it very dry.  Oh, and a  particulant filter mask.   When I took a class in powder coating, they would not allow folks with pacemakers.

The price for that gun is  about the same as other entry-level guns.   Look for the output voltage spec.   If you want to do multiple coats,  a dual voltage gun that hits at least 25 kvolts is nice, but you can fake it with a 15 kvolt gun by applying the second coat while the part is still hot, sort of heat flocking it on.  Most of the interesting finishes  are created by applying  a base color and then  a tinted clearcoat.

You can improvise a pretty inexpensive setup with shower curtains for spray booth, toaster oven outside, etc.   But it takes some more stuff than just a powder gun.  I posted a couple threads on powder coating reel parts with some more details.

-J

STRIPER LOU

Agreed Joe. I try to do very little in the shop that causes a lot of dust. Even if its the slightest amount, everything gets covered. Also turning the Acrylic is nasty and I have a filtered shop vac that catches the most of it. That stuff will give you a cough you wouldn't believe!!!!  As far as painting, its all done outside and with a mask.

And even at that it was starting to bother me. One of the reasons I build very few plugs now.

I still use the plug drier and rod drier inside on occasion. Some of the 2 part epoxies are pretty nasty. For those, if the weather allows, I open the basement door and add an exhaust fan to help remove the fumes.

Like jurelometer says, a good place is to do it outside.

Still neat though and I like being able to do almost anything at the shop but chances are if I bought one, it would probably sit for ions as projects here are never ending.
It all good though.
Have a great afternoon,  ..  Lou

Cadman

We have an electrostatic powder paint system at work, and the best way to keep powder overspray and particulate dust from going everywhere is a recovery system. This is simply an exhaust system that sucks in all the extra powder that doesn't stick to the part. However when you use a system like this, it goes through a lot of powder.
     You will also need a good oven to heat the part thoroughly to harden the paint.
     I also custom make and powder paint jigs at home for fishing with a fluid bed, this is the second best way to powder paint small objects.