Tekotta star drag click pin

Started by Brewer, January 16, 2017, 07:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewer

Stumped over this tiny pin. It sits inside threaded drive shaft. How does the star drag slide over the pin! Hope this makes sense lol.  When i spin the star drag down it hits the pin and stops. There must be a simple obvious trick to fix this. I can't figure out.  Any ideas ?
"stay thirsty my friends"

akfish

I use my smallest screwdriver. I put it in the hole in the gear sleeve and pull the pin back into the gear sleeve, then I screw down the star. It's a little tricky but after a few reels you'll get the hang of it. But why Shimano designed the reel this way is anybody's guess...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Brewer

Thank you TK! That worked on my 2nd attempt. Huge relief. I have 4 more to go. 👍👍

handi2

As you take the reels apart especially the drag star you will notice that the top metal washer will be stuck over the click pin. That's just how I put it back together.

With all the washers back on the gear shaft and the spring in its hole lift the top washer up while using a pin punch to depress the click pin. The top washer will sit on the click pin holding it in just like when you first took the star off. Lift all the washers when you do this.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Brewer

Thanks for the replies. Feel I need to buy you guys a IPA!

Lunker Larry

I stick a round toothpick down the drive shaft and it keeps things from flying out. Unscrew everthing and put your finger over the nub and pull the toothpick out.
Do the same on installation. Press the spring and nub in after washers are installed, hold it there and stick the toothpick in. It will hold them in place and you can install the rest. Doesn't hurt a thing. No problem.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

MarkT

I used to use a toothpick but now use the washer method unless I've been eating celery and need a toothpick and then I kill two birds with one toothpick.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

I used a jeweler's screwdriver.  I used to use the washer method and I cannot tell you how many of those little clicker pins I have lost.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

boon

The click pin has a tiny slot in it (at least the Toriums I've serviced did) that you can slot a jeweler's screwdriver into and hold the pin inside the shaft.
Just make sure you put the screwdriver through the drag star first ;)