500 series 4.6 gears

Started by Newell Nut, January 17, 2017, 09:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I tested them and had no issues at all. Alan now has them for sale at Black Pearl.

Dwight

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 17, 2017, 09:16:20 PM
I tested them and had no issues at all. Alan now has them for sale at Black Pearl.

Dwight

I have a hunch these are going to sell well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

Dwight,  I think we (me and you) already talk about this, but how better this gears will be on a 540 reel against the stock 5.5 gears?

I know 5.5 are pretty fast and will require some pumping on the rod if you catch a nice heavy fish, but 4.6 ratio is enough to give you more torque while fighting a fish?

I dont know, maybe I would go to lower stock 3.2 gears (I understand will require some modification in order to be used on a 540 5.5 reel) for more torque /winching power.

PS: maybe I missunderstading the goal of this 4.6 SS gears and they are more into making the reel bulletproof than making it a wiching reel.
The Baja Guy

Sulla

Quote from: steelfish on January 18, 2017, 12:38:05 AM
Dwight,  I think we (me and you) already talk about this, but how better this gears will be on a 540 reel against the stock 5.5 gears?

I know 5.5 are pretty fast and will require some pumping on the rod if you catch a nice heavy fish, but 4.6 ratio is enough to give you more torque while fighting a fish?

I dont know, maybe I would go to lower stock 3.2 gears (I understand will require some modification in order to be used on a 540 5.5 reel) for more torque /winching power.

PS: maybe I missunderstading the goal of this 4.6 SS gears and they are more into making the reel bulletproof than making it a wiching reel.

s

I've owned a Newell 540 5.5 and really didn't like the way it handled bigger fish. I now have a 500 series Newell with the stock 4.6 gears and it makes a world of difference. The benefit of a 4.6 gear ratio over a 5.5 gear ratio is the power yet you still have plenty of speed to yo-yo jigs and throw the surface iron. A Newell 500 series real with 3.2 gears would simply be too slow for anything other than bait fishing. Although I have never fished one with 3.2 gears I would imagine it would be very powerful with a lot of winching power. So I guess what you get with a 4.6 gear ratio is a happy medium for bait and lure fishing.
I think what Dwight is referring to the black pearl 4.6 gears as being "bullet proof" he's making an observation to the fact that he hasn't seen any failures in these gears. From time to time a company or individual will make after market parts that turn out to be sub par or have a high failure rate. When it comes to newells the gold standard are of coarse the "stock parts" but some aftermarket parts have proven to be excellent as well.

Newell Nut

Well said Bill. The 4.6 is a happy medium. Can be used reef fishing but 3.2 is the best to winch with. 4.6 can also yo yo well and is just a good all around ratio and the most popular for the surf fishing guys in HI. My testing was done using 20 lbs of drag and the gears worked great that Alan just had fabricated.

I love my 3.2s and the beefy pinions but I am a reef fisherman.