A weird question for chemists and/or those who live in COLD places

Started by lifeofRiley, January 18, 2017, 06:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

If my reel and guides are freezing up, I'm packing up and running to a warmer spot!
Up north we fished out of little cabins over the water, with wood stoves and hot coffee, or some other hot adult beverage like a thermos filled with hot buttered rum!  When you run out you run home.

theswimmer

We get fobbed off all kinds of crud in our food chain and pharma junk you would not poisen a dog with.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on January 18, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
Jonathan, shampoo often has propylene glycol.
-steve
I think some ice creams contain propylene glycol....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

Sid, you're going to make us all fall in line with Jonathan.
-steve

lifeofRiley

I've appreciated reading everyone's take on what to do and also on propylene glycol. After doing some more research and talking to several people, I plan on making a spinning rod with single foot fly rod guides as these have a larger diameter(to make complete freeze-over difficult). Many custom ice-fishing rods have these guides for the same reason. A friend said he began experimenting with these larger metal one-piece guides 3 years ago and has seen excellent results in very cold temps. As far as lines go in below 32 degrees, true woven braids and fluorocarbon perform poorly. Mono has long been king here, but I've also found that berkley nanofil performs excellently in cold conditions. It is gel-spun PE formed into a single filament, and almost looks like dental floss. I will try silicone spray as I have some handy the next time I get out. Will spraying this directly on the spool harm the reel at all? Another big problem area is right where the line makes a 90 degree turn around the line roller. I will probably give this a blast as well. I know in the case of mono it is absorbent, but not sure if the PE lines will absorb silicone or it will fall right off after one cast. On the prop. glycol do you think this would harm line or the line roller? Even though it may be washed away in the water quickly, it could be handy for temporarily freeing up frozen guides/line roller. I use the stuff on my trolling motor mount when it gets covered in ice and it works great for that. I know there's a lot of questions, but I thank you all for your thoughts.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

philaroman

Quote from: lifeofRiley on January 19, 2017, 07:39:31 AM
...Another big problem area is right where the line makes a 90 degree turn around the line roller.

keep an eye out for an early 90's Stradic/Symetre FA -- seems like a good design that's much less likely to freeze up:
1) it had a large, ceramic line roller (solid SiC?) -- I love 'em & hoard 'em
2) in the original Super Stopper A/R the dog went "out" to hit a dozen or more stop points around the circumference of the rotor (barely noticeable handle back-play), instead of the dog going "in" to hit a 6-tooth ratchet (pronounced handle back-play)... nowhere near the number of tiny parts in a roller bearing & you can keep it swimming in thin, low-temp grease