Dam Quick 331n S

Started by SilverRidge, January 18, 2017, 03:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

Know what the N designation means but would like info on the S designation, I'm assuming it means
Super speed, if so what gear ratio does it have and what makes it different mechanically than the standard model .....again thanks

Paul

foakes

"S" denotes high speed.

5:1 compared to 3:1 on a regular 330.

Each has its place -- depending on type of fishing and type of waters fished.

331 has a faster gear set, longer crank arm, a "1" instead of a zero like the 330, and a tiny round red sticker dot with an "S" stuck on the body.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I have never come across a Dam Quick reel with a red "S" sticker that wasn't on a high speed model ending with the high speed number "1". South Bend sold Dam reels, as did Herter's and Cabela's, and distributed them for a short time prior to their financial demise. Many of those reels sported the red "S" sticker. There are some, and I am one those, that believe, since many Dam Quick high speed "1" reels also can be found with a red "High Speed" sticker, that the "S" was intended to signify a South Bend affiliation, also.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

The dam supers are way bigger than a 110. I use a 110 that fred hooked me up with for smallmouth. Haven't used a whole lot since getting since I've been in duck hunting mode rather than fishing, now with all the rain we've had all the rivers are flooded making the fishing junk. Anyways not to long ago I got a regular dam super off the fleabay for cheap I was going to fix up for a paddlefish casting snagging rod. If I remember I'll take a comparison pic of the 110 and super. The super is pretty darn big about as big as spinners come/came. I planned on spooling mine with 60 pound braid maybe 80 some of the bigger paddlefish can really put up a fight when you get one after tossing and jerking nearly a pound of lead most the day you don't want to lose it. My boat snagging rod for when I go to Missouri to snag has penn 309 with 80lb braid. Thanks for tips on the carbon drags for the super I'm going to order up some of the sedona drag disc. Fred are those washers you have for the super stainless steel ones? That would be much better than the brass ones. On another note Fred I was hoping maybe I could trouble you for a spring washer for a dam 110 I picked up off fleabay for cheap that I'm going through now. Your 110 you sent me is awesome I like it enough I decided to get another to go through on my own.

handyandy

whoops meant to post that in the thread about the super 2 speed where someone asked about size difference.

foakes

I'll send you a bail spring, Andy, N/C.

On the washers, they are nickel coated over brass -- but very strong -- and will work more than fine.

If you could find the SS in that odd size and configuration -- it would work very well also.

But I have never had a need to do that.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

Don't need a bail spring need the wave spring washer that puts pressure on the drag disc the one in it is pretty well worn our and flattened. I appreciate your help and all the knowledge you have given more than you know fred.

foakes

Great Andy --

That is good --

Bail springs are tough to get in this size --

Wavy spool drag washers are much easier.

Had a very prominent tackle repair shop up in Canada beg me for some of the 110 & 265 bail springs some years ago -- saying he had a good friend who needed these for some reels.  And a few for himself.

Sent him 12 at N/C.

Two days later, they are on his website for sale at $9.50 each.

He never got any more parts out of me.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.