Pflueger and St. Croix together

Started by The Great Maudu, January 19, 2017, 04:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Some things just seem to go together. I thought these two did. The rod is a vintage St. Croix casting / boat rod. It comes in a case numbered to the rod, lined with sheep skin, zippered closure. The reel is the iconic Pflueger Rocket 1365.

oc1

Sweet Mike.  Really sweet.  Late 1950's ?  Is that a Bruiser tip section and a lighter casting tip section?  Carboloy must refer to the reel seat, eh?  Does it have that funky cartoon-like St. Croix logo or did that come later ?
-steve

Swami805

Great find,the reel completes the set-up nicely. The guides are carboloy,you can tell by the color of the metal. Those were top of the line guides back in the day. It's still used for the ring in better chrome tip-tops today,very hard and slick and won't groove like chrome will over time. All the best components, must have been the Cadillac of their line up.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

The Great Maudu

Quote from: oc1 on January 19, 2017, 06:35:12 AM
Sweet Mike.  Really sweet.  Late 1950's ?  Is that a Bruiser tip section and a lighter casting tip section?  Carboloy must refer to the reel seat, eh?  Does it have that funky cartoon-like St. Croix logo or did that come later ?
-steve
It has two tips. A shorter, heavy bruiser tip and the Long section is for casting. In the 3rd pic the carboloy decal refers to the stripper guide and the tip tops. The St. Croix logo looks like Fred Flintstone'a handwriting. I don't have a manufacture date but I was thinking the 50's too. I'm hoping maybe someone has an old catalogue and fill me in. It looks like the kind of thing someone who didn't fish got as a gift and stuck it in a closet.

thorhammer

oc1

The Great Maudu

That's a nice history lesson. Thanks for posting Steve

oc1

St Croix seems to have always had a solid product.  I think they are still US made.  You can find less expensive but may not be able to find better.
-steve

philaroman

Croix Mojo is Mexican & lower quality

The Great Maudu

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

if a serious inquiry, a lower end mexican made st. croix...

STRIPER LOU

Hey Mike, no one should knock the quality of that setup. The rod, reel, and sheepskin case go together perfectly. Looks like they were all made for each other!

The only problem with it is its not in my collection!  ;D

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Maxed Out

Those definitely go good together Mike. Both are in spectacular condition. :o :o  You seem to have a knack for finding the old classics, and I always enjoy seeing them. Makes me feel young again....kinda  :D :D

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Mel is speaking of the current Mojo series to be had at Dick's Sporting Goods. I have one; decent, but I agree, not up to par with some others St Croix I have that are older.

Mike's is a piece from a time when craftsmanship and preservation were valued; name a major commercial rod outfit now that has sheepskin lined cases, or leather sleeves, extra tips, etc. as in the days of yore.

No telling how many of the spare pawls I used from the old Peer's.

Sigh.