Daiwa 7250 RLA Line Lay

Started by gumpie44, January 19, 2017, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumpie44

Got A 70's Daiwa 7250 RLA I'M trying To Bring Back To Life.   Line Lay Looks Like A Christmas Tree ! Checked All I Know How To Do...... Have Some  Knowledge With Mitchell, None With Daiwa. Can't Find A schematic For This Model, Found 7250HRLA, not The Same. Has A part Missing At Rear Of Housing Where Axle Exits, Looks Like Rubber Cap... Not Sure.  The Stroke On The Axle Looks To Be To Short, Took Apart Many Times Oscillating Gear And All  Look Fine. Maybe Axle Too  Short ? Not Sure How To Fix. Would Like To Fix This Old Girl To Fish Again. Would Appreciate Any Ideas Or  Help.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

philaroman

by "Christmas Tree" do you mean cone instead of cylinder?

gumpie44

Large at the Base Of The Spool... Small At The Top. Checked The Spool And Drag , All Seem Normal.
Barry
Barry

foakes

Hi Barry --

Could be the spool is nested too far above where it should be setting on the spool shaft --

Could be a extra spacer or one too thick needs removal or replacing -- under the spool?

If the line is loading up on the bottom of a spinning spool -- it is either the initial start setting of the oscillation gear, sometimes -- or location of spool -- or less frequently, a badly bent bail lever.

I will try to dig out the proper schematic from the archives.

Might not be for a few hours or tomorrow.

Pics?

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gumpie44

Here Are Some Pics...Hope They Help.   Noticed While Cranking, Sometimes The Shaft  Stops Moving Back And Forth..... Did Not See Problem With Oscillating Gears. Pic #3 Shows Rear Where Plug/Part Is Missing.  Sorry For Bad Photos,  Camera Broke Borrowed wife's.
Barry
Barry

foakes

Could not find a schematic, Barry --

However, when looking through the bone boxes -- found enough to make one complete one, I believe.

Plus, found this neat little Sigma 2201-025 Whisker Titan Microlite -- I found a bunch of these today in different sizes -- this was the smallest.

I really like these old Shakes Sigmas -- metal body, well built, good action, capable and feel good.

Then I found a couple of bins of Cardinals with the skirted spools -- not the older ABU ones -- but all metal, lots of sizes -- plus I have new spools for these.

Another project for another day --

If some of this would help you, or that tiny end piece -- let me know -- and I'll send it out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gumpie44

Thanks For Helping Fred, Since The Shaft Stops, There Must Be A Problem With The Oscillating Gears And/ Or The Follower......looks good, tight clearance, no problem my eyes can see, But if The Shaft Stops, Something Is Wrong There. Think  The Line Lay Problem Might Be The Axle, If Not I Will Try A Spool, Although The Schematic For 7350hrla I Found Shows The Set_up For The Spool To Be Correct.  I Would Like To Change The Oscillating Gear And Follower , And axle As Well, Also That Missing End Cap ,  If Not Fixed Then,I Will Get A Spool If I Can Find One. Parts Hard To Find.  Any Help You Can Give I Would Appreciate Very Much. Wife Says No More Lamps, So I guess That's off The Table
Barry
Barry

gumpie44

Took Some Pics Of The Spool
Barry

foakes

Thanks, Barry --

That is what I needed to try and match up a spool for you and myself.

I will build out a reel for myself from these parts I have here -- then will send everything along to you to build yours out at N/C.

Few people know the quality of some of these old, tiny Daiwas.

This reel is a sought after reel by many folks in the know.

From the Golden Age of spinners.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

gumpie44

Fred, Thank You So Much For Your Help. Only Been A member For A Short Time, But Have Received Much Help From You And Other Members. Hope I Get The Chance To Pay It Forward. I feel The Same As You About These Old & Obscure Reels, Not Really Rare Or Valuable But Have A Place In Fishing History, Really Enjoy Collecting Them & Bringing Them Back To Their  Former Glory.
Barry
Barry

handi2

Barry as you know if there is no problems with the internal parts the spool needs to get lower.

Looking at the bail arm and line roller remove the screw holding the bail arm on. Make sure the hole in the bail arm isn't worn. The screw should fit perfectly.

Also if the bail arm was straight up level the line would go on a little lower.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Hi Barry,

In looking at the very first picture you posted the line lay looks to be "close but no cigar" as the accumulation emphasis is closest to the base of the spool, i.e. rotor cup. It doesn't take much for a few extra line wraps to start that type of accumulation and distortion process. There are a couple of simple checks you can try and I see one possible additional culprit, although I don't know exactly how much effect, in and of itself, it might have.

First, tighten the drag knob down as far as it will go (meaning all the way tight) to make sure the pads or washers are seated all the way down onto the removable spool drag shaft. Then loosen it back to normal user position. Also, check at the main shaft drag click gear to make sure the spool is seating correctly there. Too thick a pad or washer on the click gear can move the spool out just enough to add lay at the back of the spool. Too thin of a pad or washer can have a similar effect on line lay at the front of the spool.

Now for the issue I see in your first photo. It appears the line roller is installed properly but you may want to check to make sure it's not in there backwards and the line is riding correctly in the recess while winding around the rotor. The portion of the bail plate/arm where the bail and line roller are connected to the bail arm is slightly bent downward toward the rotor cup. That forces the line to be positioned closer to the rotor cup while winding, therefore concentrating line lay at the base of the spool. I know it seems somewhat insignificant but every little bit counts when trying to lay line on the spool correctly, especially on older somewhat worn reels. I used your photo (below) to illustrate what I just tried to explain. The blue arrow and writing shows where it is bent. The red line and writing indicates the angle it should actually be at.

NO PHOTO THANKS TO PHOTOBUCKET!   >:(

Hopefully those tips and minor adjustments will get the line lay closer to optimum.                
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Great points, Keith and Tommy --

Many times, I just take off the bail wire -- then using a pair of pliers with protective plastic on their jaws -- just bend the bail lever slightly.

Probably just a combination of things related to the line lay starting out a little off -- then the problem becomes worse as more line is wound on.

Most problems on spinners can be traced to bails, trip levers, springs, and washers -- that is because those things either get bent or misplaced.

Thanks guys...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

gumpie44

Thanks So Much For All The Help Guys, When I First Posted I Thought All I Had Was A Line Lay Issue.While Sitting At My Computer Cranking The Reel, I Noticed On Occasion The Axle Would Stop Oscillating..... It Would Stop In The Lowest Position While I Continued To Crank After Maybe 10 Cranks It Would Start moving in & out normally Again. Think That Was The Line Lay Problem. Mentioned That In A Later Post. Took The Reel Apart Several Times, Could Not See A problem... Obviously If The Axle Stops Moving There Is A PROBLEM !! Fred Has Offered Some Parts For Me To Try To Fix This. Feel  Confident With A different Oscillating Gear , Follower, & Axle My Reel Should Work Fine.  Very Grateful For All The Help, Will Post After I Change The Parts With Update.
Barry
Barry

handi2

Quote from: gumpie44 on January 21, 2017, 02:12:09 AM
Thanks So Much For All The Help Guys, When I First Posted I Thought All I Had Was A Line Lay Issue.While Sitting At My Computer Cranking The Reel, I Noticed On Occasion The Axle Would Stop Oscillating..... It Would Stop In The Lowest Position While I Continued To Crank After Maybe 10 Cranks It Would Start moving in & out normally Again. Think That Was The Line Lay Problem. Mentioned That In A Later Post. Took The Reel Apart Several Times, Could Not See A problem... Obviously If The Axle Stops Moving There Is A PROBLEM !! Fred Has Offered Some Parts For Me To Try To Fix This. Feel  Confident With A different Oscillating Gear , Follower, & Axle My Reel Should Work Fine.  Very Grateful For All The Help, Will Post After I Change The Parts With Update.
Barry

That will surely do it Barry. Fred will take care of you like he has so many times for other people.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL