Daiwa 7250 RLA Line Lay

Started by gumpie44, January 19, 2017, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumpie44

Got All The parts And Did The Tweaks And Touches To Make This Reel Work Like New......Wanted To Say Thanks To Handi2, And  Midway Tommy For The Help And Advice They Offered, It Was Much Appreciated. And A Special Thanks To  foakes , Who Made Time In His Busy Life To Find The Parts And Send Them To Me.
BARRY

Added New Photos To Show PERFECT Line Lay...... Works Very Well At Last !
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Midway Tommy

Glad you got it working right again, Barry. Take it out & catch some fish this weekend!  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 21, 2017, 12:31:32 AM
Hi Barry,

In looking at the very first picture you posted the line lay looks to be "close but no cigar" as the accumulation emphasis is closest to the base of the spool, i.e. rotor cup. It doesn't take much for a few extra line wraps to start that type of accumulation and distortion process. There are a couple of simple checks you can try and I see one possible additional culprit, although I don't know exactly how much effect, in and of itself, it might have.

First, tighten the drag knob down as far as it will go (meaning all the way tight) to make sure the pads or washers are seated all the way down onto the removable spool drag shaft. Then loosen it back to normal user position. Also, check at the main shaft drag click gear to make sure the spool is seating correctly there. Too thick a pad or washer on the click gear can move the spool out just enough to add lay at the back of the spool. Too thin of a pad or washer can have a similar effect on line lay at the front of the spool.

Now for the issue I see in your first photo. It appears the line roller is installed properly but you may want to check to make sure it's not in there backwards and the line is riding correctly in the recess while winding around the rotor. The portion of the bail plate/arm where the bail and line roller are connected to the bail arm is slightly bent downward toward the rotor cup. That forces the line to be positioned closer to the rotor cup while winding, therefore concentrating line lay at the base of the spool. I know it seems somewhat insignificant but every little bit counts when trying to lay line on the spool correctly, especially on older somewhat worn reels. I used your photo (below) to illustrate what I just tried to explain. The blue arrow and writing shows where it is bent. The red line and writing indicates the angle it should actually be at.

Hopefully those tips and minor adjustments will get the line lay closer to optimum.                 
Yes sir! I have an old DAM 1000 that did the same thing. The arm on those DAM 1000's are too flimsy for my taste. Otherwise it is a nice little spinner. It doesn't take much of a bend to throw a wrench in the works and they can be tricky to get readjusted just right too.