Berkley Nanofil line

Started by SilverRidge, January 19, 2017, 11:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

Has anyone had any experience with it? I've heard it's a really tremendous casting line, markedly improvement on your casting distance, no memory, super knot strength, sounds like the real deal to me ....

Paul

Rancanfish

I bought two spools of 14lb test I believe for my Stradic 1000's for more distance.

Sorry, haven't used them yet.

I heard good things too, which prompted me to try it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Guys in Hawaii use this line. Kyle?  What is your opinion?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

philaroman

excellent strength:diameter ratio & casting distance -- better than braid...  also, quiet through the guides, unlike braid

HOWEVER, worse abrasion resistance & knot performance; some mono knots won't work, at all; need more care tying specialty/modified/reinforced knots

Gliss is a similar product (from Ardent?)

Rancanfish

Care to suggest proper knots?  I'd be interested in cutting my learning curve.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mo65

I've used Nano since it was introduced and it performs great for me. Yes...knots seem to be the big complaint. I'm not sure what knots fail, because I use a simple Uni-knot to join mono leader to Nano, and it has always worked fine. I'll tell you about that abrasion issue too. Nano will look like it has been fighting the weedeater and still perform. Rocks will nick it up bad, but it still stays strong. It does cast a little farther, and it's smooth through the guides.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

I go simple, as well, so I can't help with any complex, involved knots which may work better

as w/ any thin, slick braid, I like to double the line for a Uni; throw in a couple extra wraps for a Fish-N-Fool; go twice, or even thrice, through the eye for a Palomar...  then collapse the wet/lubed knot very slowly and carefully, to make sure the extra wraps/passes don't overlap or bunch up

Blood Knot & Dropper Loop work fine w/ nylon mono, but I find them especially horrible for slick PE...  I'm sure there are others

jason_purdy

Agree with mo65-I love nanofil. I primarily use it on ultralight rigs for panfish or sight casting shallow water. I use the Uni or Double Palomar.

Fishy247

Hmm...sounds like something I might want to try. How's the stretch factor?

mo65

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 25, 2017, 06:53:50 PM
Hmm...sounds like something I might want to try. How's the stretch factor?

No stretch...just like braid. But unlike braid...it's silent through the guides. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishy247

I'm sold...lol. I'll definitely try this! Thanks!

oc1

STRIPER LOU

I like this stuff too! An additional consideration in doubling for knots is a small drop of good quality super glue.

Have never had a knot fail while using this little bit of extra help.

..................Lou

Fishy247

Thanks for the tip Lou. Nanofil kinda sounds like a product that Spiderwire released several years ago. I forget what it's called, but it is super thin and very abrasion resistant. The 8# that I have looks like 4#-6# to me. I never had any problems with my knots with it and even landed a 20#+ clump of kelp in heavy surf! Lol...

steelfish

hmm sounds interesting

no strech and silent on the guides sold me
The Baja Guy