Stiff Newell clicker?

Started by Rancanfish, January 21, 2017, 06:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I have a 200 series Newell with the stiffest clicker I've ever seen.  I mean on any reel, any brand!

I will definitely be using the clicker when fishing next week for sturgeon.

But I'm worried the fish will drop the bait when it feels too much resistance.

Is there an adjustment to lighten it up a bit?  The reel is pretty mint so I'm going to assume the clicker is just too new, and will loosen up a bit with use?

Thanks.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Might take a while to loosen up, Randy, if ever --

If mine, I would examine the click ring ends, click dog, plus see if any resistance anywhere else -- then adjust these by using a fine, thin file on the appropriate areas to loosen it up -- and maybe shave the dog until you are satisfied with the function -- and have a smooth alarm clicker with only light resistance.

Then grease things up, a bit...

Hate to lose a 71" Sturgeon because the clicker resistance scares them off.  They are generally very careful when taking a bait.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

If it's metal try bending the ends of the click spring out a bit, if it's plastic maybe file down the dog. Depends which model 220 you have.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

PacRat

I have a couple of Newell spools which have a pentagon shaped click gear rather than the star shape. The click is very light on these. I've never seen an explanation for this design but this may be why they're that way.
Mike

reel man

Very early on in the production of the conversion kits Carl did see the need to have a multi tooth clicker hub, so just cut pieces from hex bar stock and hardened them.  It was later he sub contracted for the multi teeth hubs.  It was much later he thought molding the clicker hub directly on the plastic spool would save money, and provide a workable clicker assembly including a plastic pawl, and spring.  I was not an acceptable modification the users wanted, along with the eliminination of the ss bearing cups.

Carl was his own worst enemy in being too frugal these changes almost caused the demise of the once popular Newell reels.

Rancanfish

I should have stated it does have an all metal clicker system, similar to Penn.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

I agree with Fred in the way you could improve the clicker tension by making the spring wider. And also you could dremmal the pawl a little shorter so that it doesn't engage the spool clicker teeth that much.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

Replace the SS spring with a penn brass one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D