Last details

hrogers

HISTORY:

Name/Series: Defiance & Level Wind

Construction:

Lightweight graphite frame and side plates
    Forged, machined and anodized aluminum spool
    Stainless steel frame rings enhances rigidity to prevent "frame flex"
    Machine-cut marine grade bronze main gear with hardened stainless steel pinion
    HT-100™ carbon fiber drag washers
    Line Capacity Rings
    (4 shielded stainless steel bearing system) Level wind
    Max Drag = 15 lbs
    Gear Ratio = 6.0:1
First Year Manf.: 2011

REEL INFO: If you need an affordable saltwater reel that packs enough punch to get just about any species back to the boat, check out the PENN Defiance. Defiance is built with stainless steel frame rings and uses a level wind so your line lays on the spool evenly. The reel features a machine-cut, marine-grade bronze main gear with hardened stainless steel pinion and HT-100 carbon-fiber drag washers. Four shielded stainless steel bearings with instant anti-reverse give the reel a smooth operation. The spool sports three easy to see line capacity rings so you can take inventory on the amount of remaining line and a large knob on the handle provides comfortable retrieves.

Bill B

HR, thank you for your post on the Defiance 30.  If I may offer a few suggestions to make this an outstanding post:

1. Order the photographs to tell a story, i.e. complete reel, each step of the tear down, any issues the reader might encounter during reassembly, and then the complete reel, with your observations of the durability, construction, or opinion of the reel, the more photos the better.

2. Add a description of each photograph describing to the reader what they are seeing and any specific details you would like us to know.

As you may have found out, these tutorials are a long process and frustrating at times.  For me, when servicing a new to me reel, a normal tear down takes about an hour.  When you add picture taking during each step, cleaning grease and grime from your hands before taking each photograph it can be doubled.  Then downloading photographs to a photo host server another 45 minutes.  With writing the post and adding the photographs another hour.....you can easily put 4-5 hours on a tutorial.....then at the end you have a BIG SIGH OF RELIEF  :P, and vow to never do another again  :-\.....bit after all the readers review your finished product, you catch some great fish on your new rebuild, and the find yourself looking for another tutorial project  :o

If you need any assistance or help send me a PM and I would be glad to help....Thanks again brother......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

Just a quick tip.

If the reel doesn't have enough drag after assembly you may need to wipe some of the drag grease off the washers.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hrogers

Thanks for the info and tips Gents.
Still a lot to learn !!

Fish-aholic

Hi hrogers,

You may have already rectified the below picture of yours but just in case you didn't notice, the installation of the AR ratchet plate (red dot) has been replaced upside down. If you manage to hook Nessie the handle could go knuckle buster.  :-\

Steve

hrogers

Oops !! - Thanks for bring it to my attention Steve !!
I will go and correct it as soon as I got some free time !!

Swami805

Thanks for posting that. Does Penn make something similar without the levelwind? Looking for something in that price range to fish 30lb. My boss had me build 2 rods for retirement gifts for a couple guys at work. I was thinking Toriums. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

johndtuttle

Quote from: Swami805 on January 29, 2017, 06:57:43 AM
Thanks for posting that. Does Penn make something similar without the levelwind? Looking for something in that price range to fish 30lb. My boss had me build 2 rods for retirement gifts for a couple guys at work. I was thinking Toriums. Thanks

Penn Fathom, Squall, Warfare and Defiance all have non-LW models.

For 30# I'd suggest the "25N" or "30" size. The Warfare is a little nicer than the Defiance having IAR as well as back up dogs.

Squall you get mag cast control too in the smaller sizes for a little more.

gstours

Thanks for the post, and also to all the viewers who were polite and helpfull.  This is what makes the Alan Site so Great!!!!!!! :D

handi2

I just noticed the drag washers. Some new ones that will fill the main gear could easily be made. If you want them just measure the inside of the main gear then the outside of the gear sleeve. Also the thickness of the drag washer.

I will make you some and send them your way.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

nice post!  if i can get an address from you, i'll mail out something to you.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hrogers

The Penn defiance 30 come in both the level wind and one without - the one I got is without.
When I open my reel to put the AR ratchet plate back to it's original position I notice that it was in correctly - Maybe I notice it after the photo was taken and corrected it
Well no harm was done when I open it - Rather safe than sorry and now I'm sure all parts is in correctly.