Morro Bay jig weight?

Started by pjstevko, January 22, 2017, 04:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

If you had to pick one weight for your flat fall jigs for the Morro Bay area what weight would you choose?

I'm thinking 8 or 10oz......am I in the ballpark?

Pj

Gfish

No experience in Morro Bay. JM(NS)HO, but for fun ona charter, when the wind n' waves aren't so bad, and the depth is <300 ft., spinning reel(for less line friction on the drop), n' 3 - 6 oz. is easier to use(esp. all day). You'll thank me when you hook that 20lb.+ Ling, right?right? Not! Mabey 2 rigs: lite & heavy. I've never used jigs that large, but couldn't see myself workin that hard for very long. (NS)= "not so".
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

theswimmer

PJ I would pick the 10oz, mostly because of current and boat load.
If I was fishing private or 6 pack I would go for 6-8 oz.
Best
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

akfish

Hmm. I'm curious: Are we certain that a jig will drop faster on a spinning reel than a conventional? If the conventional has excellent free spool, I would think the line drop would be faster than on a spinning reel because line coming off a spinning reel has a small amount of resistance as it unwinds off the spool. Whatever, I almost never fish spinning tackle and I always sleeve the spools of my conventionals.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

Perhaps yer right Akfish. Sometimes when a conventional spool gets goin good it seems like it's almost pushin the line out. I do notice my first couple a casts witha spinner are "rough", then the line starts ta behave itself. Might be function of how a given reel lays line back on the spool? Sounds like a field test to me! Hmmm..., how to make the results meaningful: same exact line(size, age, mfg., etc.), jig, rod, conditions. And what conventional reel ta match a Shimano Stratic 8000? Jigmaster-casts good for conv. but gots bushings, Fin Nor Leathel 100 vs. a narrowed 113H? Hmmm... "It may not be productive, but it's gonna be fun!" (Aprox. Quote from Tarfu's signature)
Theories are fun n' easy, but testin just gotta be done. Up untill now the spinner use thing seemed faster, but It was just my theory.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

I think the best out of the box free spool is on the Avets. Remove any bearing shields and add good oil and they scream. Some say the Avets with Magic Cast are slower, but I'm not sure I agree.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

pjstevko

Quote from: theswimmer on January 22, 2017, 06:38:24 PM
Best
JT

That's kinda what I was thinking too..... Guess I'll only be buying 10oz jigs from now on......

Bryan Young

PJ,

More than likely you will be tossing the flat fall away from the boat as it flutters downward. The heaviest I would recommend is 8oz. The heavier the less flutterat the top and will near the bottom before a 10oz will hit full flutter of fishing around 100 feet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

There is quite a bit of information out there about the Mitchel competition casting spinners. The trick for the pros back then was to hand wind on the line and hae enough line on the spool that the cast line never touched the edge of the spool. There are pictures of 3 and 4 stage 300 spools to allow this to happen. Seems like an awful lot of work when a conventional pays out line with no interference as long as it has no brakes and no levelwind.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pjstevko

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 23, 2017, 04:21:55 AM
PJ,

More than likely you will be tossing the flat fall away from the boat as it flutters downward. The heaviest I would recommend is 8oz. The heavier the less flutterat the top and will near the bottom before a 10oz will hit full flutter of fishing around 100 feet.

This makes sense to me.......Guess I'll be buying 2 different weights.....

David Hall

Depends on what exactly your dropping,  if it's a flutter jig 8oz., if it's a lead head with grub body I like the heaviest I can get, I'll fish 16oz.

Donnyboat

some fishos are using a very light line below the jig, with a half a house brick, or concrete weight fixed to it, when it gets to the bottom, give it a good heave, the light line breaks, leaving the weight on the bottom, then commence jiging. cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Quote from: Gfish on January 22, 2017, 07:52:27 PMHmmm... "It may not be productive, but it's gonna be fun!" (Aprox. Quote from Tarfu's signature)

Hey does this make me published author now ;)....... better watch out Mike C.   ::).  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jcool3

Quote from: theswimmer on January 22, 2017, 06:38:24 PM
Best
JT

heaviest shimano flat fall up to 250 g, about 8 oz.

MarkT

The general rule is a gram per foot of depth.  Flat Falls max out at 250gm, 8oz.  You can go heavier with knife jigs.  I like the Shimano Flat side jigs too.  I have a, I think, 8oz Jax jig that always seems to get bit that I use with a shrimp fly above it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!