3" wide "Pearl Harbor Special" jigmaster

Started by Yogi_fish808, January 23, 2017, 03:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Aloha AT ohana! Here is a little piece of Hawaii fishing history that a friend of mine recently acquired while buying a box of random penn parts/pieces. It is an extended 3" wide jigmaster known locally as a "Pearl Harbor Special", guessing it dates back to the 60s or 70s. It uses a 3" diy spool and Long Beach 68 base/posts (P454/546 bars also work).  These were made by creative fishermen back in the days way before extension kits were available out of necessity for greater line capacity. I think it's name originates with local guys who worked at the Pearl Harbor shipyard and had access to a machine shop to do this tedious work. The stock spool had to be cut and have a extension sleeve welded/braised on depending what kind of spool was used. In this case it was a penn stainless spool that appears to have been drilled and welded. These couldn't be fished with tight drags due to the weaker wide spool being prone to bending under heavy drag and becoming stuck between the sideplates. So there you have it, the grandpa to all jigmaster extension kits like the yellowfin special and super jigmaster!

Someones grandpa/uncle is rolling in their grave over their hard work being sold for so cheap....

Aloha,
Kyle

Had to make this ~1/16" brass spacer sleeve to center the spool and keep it from hitting the pinion.

Tightlines667

I heard about the machine shop at the boatyard in Hickam harbor producing custom reel parts back in the 60s.  There certainly are examples of widened Pfluegers, Penns and other floating around.  Cool to see one here.

I used one of Sal's delron dots inside the headplate bushing to move the spool towards the tailplate, and center it properly on a Hawaiian wide JM kit.

Thanks for sharing!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 23, 2017, 04:12:50 AM
I heard about the machine at the boatyard in Hickam harbor producing custom reel parts back in the 60s.  There certainly are examples of widened Pfluegers, Penns and other floating around.  Cool to see one here.

I used one of Sal's delron dots inside the headplate bushing to move the spool towards the tailplate, and center it properly on a Hawaiian wide JM kit.

Thanks for sharing!

John

Whoa those delrin dots are brilliant. Woulda saved me a lot of time, even if i enjoy making things.  Does Sal have those for sale?? Also that is a very nice looking super jig, as nice as aluminum anodized plates are...a clean set of penn plates is still a killer look.

Ron Jones

Just goes to show what can happen when people don't feel like fixing my submarine! Bet it happened after telling the boat 2nd shift.
OK, had to. Some people here might get it. Seriously, that is really cool. I bet if you used 99 plates the 68 stand would be easier to fit and you could still use the Jiggy outer plate. The spool, no way around it, takes someone who knows what they are doing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on January 23, 2017, 04:24:12 AM
I heard about the machine at the boatyard in Hickam harbor producing custom reel parts back in the 60s.  There certainly are examples of widened Pfluegers, Penns and other floating around.  Cool to see one here.

Thanks for sharing!

John

Whoa those delrin dots are brilliant. Woulda saved me a lot of time, even if i enjoy making things.  Does Sal have those for sale?? Also that is a very nice looking super jig, as nice as aluminum anodized plates are...a clean set of penn plates is still a killer look.

Pm me your address and I will send you a few.

John
Hope springs eternal

coastal_dan

Neat piece of history, thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 23, 2017, 05:00:01 AM

Thanks for sharing!

John

John
Were do you install the delrin dots and how do you keep them from slipping?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 25, 2017, 04:25:54 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 23, 2017, 05:00:01 AM

Thanks for sharing!

John

John
Were do you install the delrin dots and how do you keep them from slipping?

Brian,

I just drop them inside of the bushing.  Not sure that it matters at all if they slip.  The tip of the spool shaft rides against the delron dot, instead of the bronze.  Freespool seems to be better if anything.  Not sure what kind of results longterm use would bring.  Maybe Sal knows, since he is the one that cut these?
Hope springs eternal

PacRat

Bryan.
I believe the dots go inside the bushing to shim the spool over by the tip of the spool shaft against the outboard end of the bushing rather than the spool shaft shoulder against the inboard end of the bushing. These solve the problem of spool shaft variances like when the bushing is all the way in and your spool still needs to move over a bit. They just sort of float and it shouldn't matter if they slip as they are captive.
-Mike

Alto Mare

Yup,! Most Tom's bearing cups come with a nipple in the center (am I allowed to say that :) ),
Just as Accurate. Once you slip the bearing in the cup, there is no open space at the base anywhere, the delrin dot sits on top of  that nipple, through the inner bearing race.
If you did run into a bearing cup without the nipple, you will then need to make a delrin washer as big as the bearing, with no inner hole of course.
You could Easley use the proper shim washer designed to go in back of the bearing, the problem with those at times the bearing will hit the pinion, making it hard for the eccentric lever to go in or out of gear.
The delrin washer does increase freespool on most.
Using a delrin spacer does not lift the bearing out of its cup.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Yogi, the brass spacer you're showing is one of the best option for all reels, when dealing with centering the spool. I have made a couple and posted about them, but don't remember where.
I'm sure you know how hard it is to make those, I made mine from slicing a bushing with a cutting wheel, it still take a lot of work.
Our machinists should make us a bunch in stainless steel from the small reels up to the 16/0's, I know I would grab a few.

Sal

Found trhe pic :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2017, 08:01:27 PM
Yogi, the brass spacer you're showing is one of the best option for all reels, when dealing with centering the spool. I have made a couple and posted about them, but don't remember where.
I'm sure you know how hard it is to make those, I made mine from slicing a bushing with a cutting wheel, it still take a lot of work.
Our machinists should make us a bunch in stainless steel from the small reels up to the 16/0's, I know I would grab a few.

Sal

Hi Sal,
I actually have brass tubing that has the perfect inside diameter to fit jigmaster shaft ends with a perfect outside diameter to match the thick part. Slice off the size needed with a dremel diamond wheel and file/sand down, fairly quick. Having stainless versions in multiple sizes would be very convenient. I originally got the idea from the orange plastic sleeves included on newell 300c jigmaster plates, they were meant to allow penn spools to be used....figured out that it works great for other applications as well!

Aloha,
Kyle

Alto Mare

Very cool Kyle. Brass or stainless, we're still on the same page. These would sure cure many reels out there.
Tom?
Lee?
Anyone? :)

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2017, 08:38:07 PM
Very cool Kyle. Brass or stainless, we're still on the same page. These would sure cure many reels out there.
Tom?
Lee?

You rang????

.125 ID, but what is the OD an thickness?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 26, 2017, 12:17:56 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2017, 08:38:07 PM
Tom?
Lee?

You rang????

.125 ID, but what is the OD an thickness?
Hello Tom, thanks for getting back to me.
These would be nice if we could get them for many reels.
The OD would be the same as the thicker part of the spool shaft, so when the washer rests on the shoulder it would be of the same size, well actually if you could make the OD 0.05mm+/- less than the shaft it would be better. I'm guessing the thickness could be  0.15mm, it wouldn't be a problem adding another on top if needed.

Thanks Tom.

Sal