Mitchell 300 Axle/Spool End Play

Started by basszilla, January 25, 2017, 05:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basszilla

How much end play should there be between the axle and spool? I'm referring to the movement of the spool on the axle when the spool is locked in place (not movement of the axle itself). Is there a number for this, maybe 25 thou, 100 thou, etc.? I'm also wondering how much axle end play is considered excessive. Have either of these been quantified, or do Mitchell experts just determine good from bad by feel?

Midway Tommy

You need a little movement just to be able to remove the spool effortlessly. Everyone has their own idea about what excessive is, but for me, I start checking for worn shaft ends & spool insert issues at about .015 (1/64"). 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basszilla

The first 300 I bought a few weeks ago seems to be in better than average condition, probably has about 1/64" or so total play. The second reel is older and has about twice that amount just in the axle. Add the play at the spool itself, and it's pretty sloppy. Maybe I can make some measurements to see exactly how much movement each part adds to the overall end play. I have tools for that, but it would take time to make the jigs. Thanks for your reply!