rewraping a rod for my little princess

Started by steelfish, January 26, 2017, 04:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, my little princess of 6yo had some time seeing how his daddy was rebuilding some rods for his friends and customers and everytime she asked me when I would make a rod for her with pink thread, of course that work was posponed until few day ago that I search on my rods which one could work for her.

I saw on my rods a short 6' rod 15-25lb with no-name or brand visible anywhere, its made of solid glass, it had some light corroded SS wire light rings on it but the rest of the rod was in really good shape, I was actually able to dead lift 12# with the rod, it was all bent on a  "U" form actually the tip was all the way down to the reel seat level but no sight of fatigue so, Im pretty sure it could dead lift 15# too, imagine it just like the ugly stick unbreakable rods.
so, it would be perfect for her to higth sticking a fish or dead lift the fishes she will catch.

originally the rod had just 4 guides but when I made a static test on it for my liking it needed at least 2 more for being too parabolic, I ordered some TV pacbay minima chrome guides and rewrapped the rod with colors of a princess casttle, gold, yellow and pink, my kid told me where to put the pink thread, so it was made under her desires and supervision.

I think it came up really well, its almost unbreakable for local shore fishing and most important my daughter is happy with his personalized rod that her daddy made for her, hint, her nickname within the family is Hope

this is how it was before, not bad but was a boring plain black wrap

sorry I couldnt found a better picture of the tip

and this is how it looks with the new wrap job

John (thorhammer) I stolen your idea of the bulb ramp with epoxic at the end of the foregrip

Im using this oversized rubber cap to act as cushion while fighting a fish

on the direct sun light or with the camera flash the colors of the lettering and the thread really comes alive

now shes looking forward to go fishing with his daddy to the local plier and catch a big triggerfish with the princess rod,
I have a shimano sonora 4000 grey color for her to be used with this rod but in the search of a similar sized reel in Pink or purple.
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Looks great, nice rod for the little princess.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Very nice, I'm sure your daughter will love it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

Keta

Nice.

My daughter just got my 9 year old granddaughter a pink camo 243.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Thanks guys, hopefully I will have a pic of my daughter with a nice catch
The Baja Guy

Aiala

What a great daddy! With a fine pink rod like that, your little lady angler should be all set to start catching some big'uns.  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelfish

Quote from: Aiala on January 27, 2017, 03:31:00 PM
What a great daddy! With a fine pink rod like that, your little lady angler should be all set to start catching some big'uns.  :D

~A~

thanks Amiga, really appreciate your comments.

I could've just bought her an okuma or shakespeare all pink rod, but I think this one I made for her have more sentimental value since she choose the colors and others details just as she like them.
maybe in a short future I will make her another rod from the scratch

The Baja Guy

Fishy247

Awesome work! Nice, simple and clean, and the bright colors really make it come alive. Looking forward to seeing what she catches with it. I like the way you jazzed up the reel seat and butt. I might have to steal that one!

Mike

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 27, 2017, 11:07:35 PM
Awesome work! Nice, simple and clean, and the bright colors really make it come alive. Looking forward to seeing what she catches with it. I like the way you jazzed up the reel seat and butt. I might have to steal that one!

Mike

thanks Mike, you are free to take any idea you like it, actually those were ideas from my daugther, she wanted more pink on the handle but I convince her to just made some bright pink/gold accents over the black foam
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

MarkT

Looks like the wind is howling. Don't plan on taking her out tomorrow!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on January 28, 2017, 03:38:40 AM
Looks like the wind is howling. Don't plan on taking her out tomorrow!

Thanks Mark,
she actually wanted to go tomorrow to try it but the wind will be 18-23mph with guts 2x stronger for the next 2 days,  so, no go for this weekend
The Baja Guy

Bill B

That's a special rod for special little lady...good job and hope she has many tight lines with that rod....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!