rewraping a rod for my little princess

Started by steelfish, January 26, 2017, 04:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

remember this rod amigos?

well it wasnt finished, it was missing the final touch which it was some stickers choosen by my daughter, some hearts, glitter dust of many colors.

I think the final touch came out really cool, specially when My kid did half of the job, she put all the stickers where she wanted and helped to pour the glitter dust on the blank while it was turning on the drier.
I actually just put the base epoxy for the glitter dust and next day put the coat of epoxy over the glitter to made the encapsulated effect on the glitter, it really came alive on the sun.
she just loved the rod.. even more  :)

sorry for so many pictures but I wanted you to check all the details that my little 7yo girl added to her rod, on the shade the glitter is barely visible, all you see the the a black rod with the pink and yellow wrap, glitter and heart stickers have a epoxy coat over, the surface of the blank is smooth as glass, it has a really cool effect, better than what I was expecting, of course picture dont give any justice to the real life shiny sparky glitter.
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Pretty cool Daddy! "Hope springs eternal!"
My wife speaks "chinglish". That's what she calls it anyway. I imitate her as best I can, cause I love tryin to talk a diffrent dialect. However like you, she mixes up the gender "he/she" thing, so I get confused sometimes: "wait you were just talking 'bout our daughter Grace, not Daniel our son?"...appearently in Mandrin they don't specify the gender thing. Cutest adult person I've ever known. Sometimes makes me laugh uncontrollably(until she gets to mad at me). There's a couple of "he's" insteada "she's", in your 1st post that threw me off at first.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishy247

Muy linda hermano!! That turned out fantastic! Gives me some ideas for a rod I'm going to do for a buddy of mine....

Keep it up!
Mike

fishgrain

One word ,  D Lux

My daughter is 6 also ... nice job getting yours excited about fishing!!!  :)

steelfish

Quote from: fishgrain on July 18, 2017, 07:38:45 PM
One word ,  D Lux

My daughter is 6 also ... nice job getting yours excited about fishing!!!  :)

yep, shes really proud on her fishing rod, she never stops telling everybody how she did "half" of the work on the rod, she already caught her first fish on it few months ago (pic attached), that was 1 week after the rod was recently rewraped, now shes waiting to use it again with all the sparkling stickers and glitter.
we might have to wait a month at least, too hot to go fishing from the shore
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Way cute! Gonna miss a daughter in that age group, until one of my kids gives me a grandaughter...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

:)   I think that rod is beautiful , I my self would fish that rod ..   Love when kids get involved , giving there ideas - opinions .
    Surly a rod to be proud of and enjoy ...       Good job  daddy.....      joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

steelfish

well the indestructible Princess rod got Revamped, the blank lasted more than the stock metal reelseat, few months ago the hood of the reelseat started to sping along with the nut, so it was time to install a most modern and better quality reelseat, I choose a graphite ALPS reelseat, it feels pretty solid and also pretty light.
but since I had to take the rear grip out to install the new reeelseat from the butt (in order to avoid uninstalling all the guides), I went also with a split grip rear grip style and well, I went the whole mile and rebuilded the foregrip and made a long wrap before the 1st guide to put some Decals that my now 13yo princess wanted to have on her fishing rod, they are from her favorite Nintendo Game "Zelda".

along with the new revamped rod pictured I will throw some "Before" pictures of the reargrip + reelseat + foregrip + cosmetic wrap to compare

from the 1st guide to the tip is the same original wrap job I made along with my daughter back in 2017
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Nice clean look on a partial rebuild .    Did the rod go tip heavy or did you add weight to the butt plug , to balance it out . 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

Nice work, compadre. Not too hard to get guides looking tight after a few tries, but getting all those transitions in a rod like that from grip to shrink to wrap to seat and again looking tight can take a bit of work, especially if building ramps vs. stock catalog trim rings. Very tight work.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 19, 2023, 02:14:48 AMNice clean look on a partial rebuild .    Did the rod go tip heavy or did you add weight to the butt plug , to balance it out . 

the rod itself is just hair tip heavy, the cord/shrink wrap and bit of epoxy for the rear grip ramps added a bit of weight, but with a small 4000 sized shimano reel the setup reach a almost perfect balance

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on October 19, 2023, 12:27:52 PMNice work, compadre. Not too hard to get guides looking tight after a few tries, but getting all those transitions in a rod like that from grip to shrink to wrap to seat and again looking tight can take a bit of work, especially if building ramps vs. stock catalog trim rings. Very tight work.

thanks amigo for the kind words, yep it was a labor of love, I took my time on this rod, I liked it that much that I told my daughter that I might use it when going with my friends  ^-^ , she didnt liked it the idea, tho.  :-\
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Cool! Maybe you found a new series to build: Custom Rods for Kids. Just like the sport-team rods you build for adults.